BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crf 250 Sm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Crf 250 Sm Reply with quote

Considering this ball twitching stroker, which has tickled my fancy, despite me only having eyes for ExC300's.

https://bit.ly/1zxiYwN

Any thoughts folks? Owner sounds a bit unconvincing to me.
Am i right to imagine, G, that it will likely be less Linear in its delivery than a 300, and therefore have an improved grin factor on the road?

It looks very serious so would likely be a bit wasted on me, being only used around town. But I can't get away from desperately craving a 2 stroke sm for my stable.
I'd be buying it solely for the smell, sound, smiles and sexyness Mr. Green .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:28 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: Crf 250 Sm Reply with quote

Being a motocross bike rather than an enduro bike, it should have considerably more lively power delivery.

I haven't ridden a proper 250cc mx bike properly myself and they do vary between models a bit too.

Be aware that motocross gearboxes tend to be quite close ratio; mixed with the likely flighty power delivery you may find you need to use the clutch quite a lot.

It does seem to have had a fair bit of 'proper SM' stuff done to justify the price over getting a road legal CR250 and sticking some SM wheels on.
Will you enjoy it enough for that price differential, however, is another matter.
Also, the tyres spell out 'quick death' Smile.

This one is half the price, a lot less details, but then a rebuild isn't THAT expensive Smile.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251631444356
Likely won't be as good, but I had to have words with myself to NOT put it my watch list :-S.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much prefer a CRM250 supermoto personally with some tuning mods for road use, as opposed to a converted crosser with a day time MOT.

For under £3k you'd get a stunning CRM AR I'd say too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:29 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd much prefer a CRM250 supermoto personally with some tuning mods for road use, as opposed to a converted crosser with a day time MOT.

For under £3k you'd get a stunning CRM AR I'd say too!

Why a CRM250 supermoto?

With £3k to spend and looking for a flat power delivery you could get a decent 4 stroke, albeit with a bit more maintenance for the same weight most likely, but maybe not if you limited to CRM250 speeds/performance.

The CR has less weight than you'll get from any 4 stroke pretty much and has the revvy power delivery many of us find fun - while the CRM is heavier with a flat delivery.

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. That KX is seriously worth considering, but due to work and family obligations I really want something thats "really reliable Laughing and ready to race". So, i figure newer, or newly rebuilt is likely more preferable.

Although I could probably just about stretch for that £3k CRF, it wouldn't do my marriage any favours Hurt .

I've seen a few good 2T examples that I've been tempted for, which i could then subsequently SM, but for some unknown reason, i've developed this childish idea that i should just continue scraping pennies and enjoying the LC4, whilst waiting around till the end of time before finally buying (despite the flatness in road mode) a bargain mint 2011 ExC300 with a set of SM and dirt wheels Cool . Which I can then hopefully park smugly next to its equally as old, but still mint and awesome SMC brother Laughing .

Hopefully I'll man up and actually commit to something before I'm old
or dead.

Last edited by 1cyl on 21:49 - 31 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:42 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ridden a 300EXC?

For road use, personally, I wouldn't worry so much about going for a really new one.

Off road, the continual diet does make a nice difference.

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't ridden any 2strokes for years. Hence why I'm keen to get back on one.
Before the price of fuel, ozone depletion factor or health implications from emmissions renders them all untaxable or banned.

I only really want a KTM 2T because every single one of the 5k miles I've hammered out of the big single 4T has been nothing short of epic! Thus its left me crotch grabbing at the thought of an equally focused 2T sister to hopefully abuse as relentlessly.

I'm going to try and test ride one soon. Just worried it'll make me do something foolish.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:16 - 31 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300 EXC feels a good chunk flatter than the 690 enduro, I'd say (I've owned them both at once) with more bottom end pull and less feel that you need to rev it.

Stuck at the bottom of a steep slippy hill, it's the ideal top to get to the top - I partly got mine to do do Weston on because I didn't fancy trying it on the 200 or 144, both of which need a few revs to get going.

However, I don't think it's got that spark I enjoy from a stereotypical two stroke.

The SX apparently does and the 200 definitely does. If you're down this kinda way, welcome to have a play on the 200 - it may even be getting the SM treatment soon; just got the bits out, at least.
*My way is currently north kent this second, by the way.

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very kind offer thanks. Sorry to say its unlikely to be anytime soon, but I will PM you if a window of opportunity presents itself Thumbs Up

directorfilms
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:54 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: I own a Honda crf250m Reply with quote

Hi guys thought id post my question here as its related to my motorbike. Whats the difference between unleaded petrol 95 and 97? ive been using 95 and now want to try 97, is it ok to use in my CRF250M 2014? if so can i just fill up with 97 when i have some 95 left in the tank? and just keep using it from there onwards?

If you have any questions about the bike just fire away, i dont know alot about SM bikes but ive clocked 1500 miles on it so far, mainly around the city.

Thanks Guys

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:23 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: I own a Honda crf250m Reply with quote

97 will actually give a bit of a boost in power to weight ratio!

(Because your wallet will be lighter, of course Smile ).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1