Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Picking up my new bike on saturday...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

blackbosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Picking up my new bike on saturday... Reply with quote

Test rode demo on saturday bought one as soon as I got back dont know what this MT07 fuss is about 😁, Any tips for breaking the engine in? It will be my first brand new motor so dont want it going pair shaped chugging oil or being underpowered. Can't wait but wondering wether or not to get the arrow slip on and quickshifter or not will it attract the wrong kind of attention??

https://i60.tinypic.com/wlrkw0.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:18 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A, It is an MT09 you want, not the 07.

B, Good choice on bike Wink

C, Warm it for a few minutes, nice light ride out of town. Rag it, hard! Frequent oil changes for the first 500 miles.. like 50 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles.

D, Wheelie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good except those headlights Sick

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd have the extras. Definitely the Arrow, at least.

Those lights have grown on me -- I never used to like them but I think they're alright now.

Enjoy it though! Mighty jealous -- restrictions are a bastard...!

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:48 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sticker you can see on the tank tells you exactly how you need to run it in Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

C, Warm it for a few minutes, nice light ride out of town.

Agree.

Paddy. wrote:
Rag it, hard!

Hmmm, not entirely sure this is the best advice, but probably won't do any harm. I did it on a new FZ750 in the 80s, and it didn't have any problems after. Just don't labour the engine (e.g. too high a gear for acceleration), vary the revs on motorway/long dual carriageway, keep out of the redline for a bit. Otherwise, just ride it normally.

Paddy. wrote:
Frequent oil changes for the first 500 miles.. like 50 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles.

Eh? Surely not necessary for a road bike?! At the very most, after the first service, I'd do oil changes every 2000 miles, even for a bike that gets used hard all the time (again, road bike only). In reality, I do oil changes at roughly the 4000 mile mark, and sometimes left for longer - never had any problems with any bike this way.

We are talking a bike for road use here, not a track only bike, aren't we? If it's a track only bike, ignore me and listen to those with track experience Laughing

Yeah, I'd go for the Arrows too. I know I'd want to change from the standard can sooner rather than later, might as well get it done straight away. Never used one, but from what I've read, I'd be tempted by a quick shifter too. Everyone who has used them seems to like them.

Must get a test ride on one of these and see what all the fuss is about!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rag it hard advice is from mototune.

The presentation is a bit Shopping Channel, but he does seem to have the evidence to hand.

Should I ever have another 0 mile bike, I will be giving it a try.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
Rag it, hard!

Hmmm, not entirely sure this is the best advice

chickenstrip wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
Frequent oil changes for the first 500 miles.. like 50 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles.

Eh? Surely not necessary for a road bike?!

Perfect for the harsh run in, gets rid of any swarf that may have become present following the superb run in process.

I will happily hand on heart run any engine I can in using this method. My 140 engine was run in stupidly hard for 50 miles.

FLV
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:48 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had a brand new bike. Would love to do it, if I could only decide what I would want...

Enjoy!

*no offers from me on how to run it in though...*

blueglue
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:00 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem I have an MT07 Twisted Evil

As for breaking in I just went for the rag it about system and bike runs perfect. Let it warm up whilst i put my gloves and helmet on then just try not to bounce it off the limiter.

Nice choice on the bike though Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:26 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueglue wrote:
ahem I have an MT07 Twisted Evil

Need to get yourself checked sir, triples are where we are at now. Wink

Busa1340R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree with the comment about regular oil changes prior to the first service. One of the primary reasons for "running in" is to allow the piston rings to bed in to the newly honed surface of the bore. Too high a grade of oil or too frequent changes from new will cause the bores to glaze and cause problems with high oil consumption further down the line. Any swarf should be caught by the oil filter or magnet in the sump (bung).
Just stick to manufacturers recommended oil changes IMO.
Current: 2010 Suzuki GSX1340R Hayabusa, 2013 Yamaha YP250R X-Max Sport - Previous: Triumph Sprint ST1050ABS, Honda XL600V Transalp, Honda NT650V Dullsville (don't ask!), Kawasaki ZX9R E1, Honda NX650 Dominator, Suzuki GSX1300RKZ Hayabusa, Honda CBR1000FM, Kawasaki GPZ500S, etc etc

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:00 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busa1340R wrote:
Just stick to manufacturers recommended oil changes IMO.

Whilst not running in to the manufacturers specs? Yeah, sure... Laughing

I would be ragging it from the word go and changing it as I said above, mineral oil to assist with the running in, boom

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The rag it hard advice is from mototune.

The presentation is a bit Shopping Channel, but he does seem to have the evidence to hand.

Should I ever have another 0 mile bike, I will be giving it a try.

Why don't the manufacturers recommend this method? If Mototune are right, then surely you are risking engine problems more by following the manufacturers guide, and you'd have thought they know a thing or two about engines?

I'm not totally in disagreement; as said, I've used more or less this method myself before even hearing about it, and the end result was a nice, rev-happy engine. (Not that I've had a new bike in a long time Sad ).

I also rarely, if ever, redline my bikes. Is there any real point when peak power is usually reached before the redline anyway? Not to mention the fact that I'd have to be going stupidly fast on Her Majesty's highway to do it Laughing

As to oil changes: I have read that you are better off using a mineral oil to run in a new engine, as the "impurities" (?) help to take off any roughness on engine parts. It was then recommended to change to a fully synthetic, but not until something like 10/20,000 miles. Anyone else heard this? Again, personally I always use a good quality, bike-specific semi synthetic, and haven't had any problems. My bike is quite happy to be ragged and I certainly don't need (read: couldn't handle Laughing ) any more power!

EDIT BEFORE POSTING: You got there first Paddy - what about changing to a fully synth. at the mileage I mention though?

And tbh, does it really make that much difference for bikes that will only see road use in the hands of Mr. Average Rider anyway?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:29 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not to the average road rider, however they are "recommendations" and not strict guidelines.

There is no way that I can see that they can actually reject any warranty work or a replacement engine for it failing after a hard run in.

It isn't like the engines aren't run up at max rpm on the bench anyway Wink

Busa1340R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well yes, as that is all that the manufacturer requires to honour the warranty, then surely anything over and above that is just a waste of time and money.
Current: 2010 Suzuki GSX1340R Hayabusa, 2013 Yamaha YP250R X-Max Sport - Previous: Triumph Sprint ST1050ABS, Honda XL600V Transalp, Honda NT650V Dullsville (don't ask!), Kawasaki ZX9R E1, Honda NX650 Dominator, Suzuki GSX1300RKZ Hayabusa, Honda CBR1000FM, Kawasaki GPZ500S, etc etc

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busa1340R wrote:
Quote:

Well yes, as that is all that the manufacturer requires to honour the warranty, then surely anything over and above that is just a waste of time and money.

Where does it say it will ruin the warranty. I can't see anything in the Triumph handbook...
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Busa1340R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does it say it will ruin the warranty. I can't see anything in the Triumph handbook

Where did I say anything about it ruining the warranty.....I merely pointed out that an oil change at the first service was all that was generally required to keep up the manufacturers warranty cover..so why do more than they ask?

If there is going to be an engine problem prior to the specified service period, then it is likely to be covered by the warranty. If the bores glaze over and you get subsequent oil consumption problems, the bike could be out of warranty before anything can be done about it. Also it is much easier to put in a claim for obvious mechanical damage early in the bikes life, than for "supposed" oil consumption later. Bear in mind also that most manufacturers have stupidly high limits for what is deemed acceptable as far as oil consumption goes.....you will need to be feeding your bike bucket loads of oil in most cases before a claim will be accepted.

hachi8
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:33 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think they are ugly as fuck and look like a transformer from the front.

but hey...if you like it who cares.

Enjoy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hachi8 wrote:
I personally think they are ugly as fuck and look like a transformer from the front.

but hey...if you like it who cares.

Enjoy.

If you think that looks ugly, you're gonna have a real hard time finding a new bike you'll like the look of Laughing

I don't think they're ugly, but I do think it's time Triumph came up with something fresh looking. But I still haven't tried one, and at the end of the day, it's how a bike rides that's important. By all accounts, Striples are fun.

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:03 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solyent Blue wrote:
It's well proven that bikes thrashed from new make more power. Personally I'd just ride normally and avoid labouring the engine for a few hundred miles, then kill it.

I still have not seen other proof that does not come from the Mototune guy. Do you have other sources you can share? It is not that I don't believe you, I am honestly interested on this research

69.9mph
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:06 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solyent Blue wrote:
It's well proven that bikes thrashed from new make more power. Personally I'd just ride normally and avoid labouring the engine for a few hundred miles, then kill it.

Unfortunately, pub talk doesn't equal 'well proven'.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:13 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

69.9mph wrote:
Solyent Blue wrote:

I see his points and agree with them. The engines are run hard beforehand anyway...

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:24 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
69.9mph wrote:

I see his points and agree with them. The engines are run hard beforehand anyway...

Agreeing with someone is not the same as well proven though Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3