Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre question?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Tyre question? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a set of fairly road biased Continental escapes on my KMX125. They are ok enough tyres, but as they are still virtually new, I'd like to take them off and keep them for my KMX200 project.

I'd like some pretty smooth, pretty grippy 100% road tyres for the bike in std sizes. They don't need to have a good wear rate, or be good in cold winter conditions, just summer wet/dry roads.

Can I mix different types of tyres from the same manufacturer with no bad consequences, i.e. put a road biased trail tyre on the front and a road tyre on the back? And I take it that running a tubeless radial tyre on the back with a tube inside is generally ok? The bike won't go off road if that helps?

I'm thinking of ordering a Continental Trail Attack2 front tyre and a Classic Attack rear tyre, in 90/90/21 and 110/90/18 sizes.

Would you recommend anything different for my intended use?

Also I noticed that they do cruiser type tyres in the sizes I need, but I would think they are unsuitable, as wouldn't they be a very hard compound and designed for bikes 2-3times the weight of a KMX (98kg)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are asking about tyres, but...

How did the conti-escapes feel? I'm after a pair for my TTR spare wheels, was originally after some MT90AT by Pirelli but the price of the continentals is quite alluring.

I mix tyres all the time but I guess knobblies are different to road tyres. Someone I know uses cruiser tyres on a dirt bike, they seem fine.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I've done less than 60miles on them so far, and they've done less than 130miles from new. They seem fine really, and not too noisy like the MT60's were, and they grip ok, though I've been taking it easy on account of the fresh motor re-build.

One of the main reasons I want smooth road type tyres, is that the KMX is going on the dyno soon, and I want a totally smooth rear tyre pumped up really hard for this, as using a soft squishy dirt bike tyre on a dyno run seems very retarded to me!

What size are your tyres your looking for? For a slab of beer I'd let the Conti's go, as soon as I've got them off. Will be putting my sintered rear pads in at the same time as I take the wheels out and swap tyres.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That;s an awesome offer. Thumbs Up

I need a 21 inch front and 18 rear. about 2.75 x 21 and 4.10 x 18, but anything will do.

What's your poison? Where in the UK are you?
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, I'm in Kidderminster, Worcestershire. I'm ordering the tyres I mentioned next week, unless anyone says not to get them or that I shouldn't use mixed tyres?

I'll take the wheels down my friendly tyre shop and get them to swap them over, so maybe in say 2weeks i should have the Conti's removed ready to send or you to collect?

Can probably post them down to you, but having a few beers ready for watching the football with will do the job! Laughing

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:00 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Tyre question? Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd like some pretty smooth, pretty grippy 100% road tyres for the bike in std sizes. They don't need to have a good wear rate, or be good in cold winter conditions, just summer wet/dry roads.

A question I was going to ask myself! Looking forward to hearing any advice people have for stevo on good road tyres.
xiaoluo This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, how are those tyres holding up on the KMX, have you put many miles on at the moment?

I've chewed through that continental in about 3,500 KM's on the rear Laughing Laughing Laughing Gripped really well, bit skittish in the wet but still better than my old Dunlop Geomax MX51! So after a better road replacement, I'll keep the front for now, it still looks new.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

I'm glad to hear the Continentals were ok mate, and that you got a fair distance out of the rear too! I never rode much on them, but they seemed as grippy or more so than MT60's which I've had before for road use.

TBH your post makes me feel like a right twat, as while you've done 3500km on your bike since July, I've done around 85-90miles on my new Conti's in the same time! Laughing

I've not tried them in the wet either, but they scrubbed in really quickly and I've got a lot of confidence in them. The rear tyre seems really good, and very grippy. If you want a pure road tyre for the TTR then I'd definitely recommend the Conti Classic attack. The only downside is the price really, as being radials they are quite pricey, but I have a feeling I won't be changing mine too often anyway?

Ta again for the booze mate, I'm a slow drinker and just got through the last of the can's a week ago! Laughing

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't actually a lot further than the normal knobblies. I normally get about 2000KM per knobblie, about 1500 before its useful off-road life has expired. I still have 1.8mm of tread left, but fast approaching worn out.

Just to rub salt in the wounds, I have probably done more than 3500 since July, as I have been using the offroad wheels as well. SO about 4,500 since July, give or take.

But I did ride much harder on it. Any gravel things at the side of the road, that were easily accessible, I was spinning up through.... Laughing I like making dust. Embarassed I reckon I could have got much further out of them if I wasn't an idiot. I reckon it was the novelty of the new rubber.

Glad you savoured the booze and made it last as long as the tyre!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1