Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Braided hose vs. master cylinder rebuild?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Braided hose vs. master cylinder rebuild? Reply with quote

My front brake on the CB500 is still not where I would like it to be after cleaning the caliper and replacing the fluid.
Despite doing the tie the lever overnight trick the brake is still a bit spongey and the lever comes back quite far before getting firm.

The pads are fine, the disc is worn and probably needs replacing soon but it's not warped, I see no signs of fluid leaking anywhere.

I'm wondering what to do next, I was going to order a HEL braided line but I don't want to be replacing bits for bling sake. For the same money I could order a master cylinder rebuild kit. I need a cheap fix really. Thumbs Up
Any chance just stripping and cleaning the m/c and caliper might fix this?

What say the BCF braking team?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-bleed the master cylinder and the whole system.

A lot of people stop bleeding the brakes once the big bubbles are out of the system leaving it spongy.

You need to keep bleeding them until all the tiny bubbles are gone, meaning the overnight thing is not required.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Busa1340R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a reason to suspect the master cylinder is at fault. Has the bike got high mileage or been used a lot for town work?

Does the lever come right back to the bar if held on for a while?

You may be suprised at how much difference a new disc makes, it doesn't necessarily need to be warped. A dished disc can also cause lever travel.

I suspect a braided line and maybe a pressure bleed may help, but could also mask the real problem.
Current: 2010 Suzuki GSX1340R Hayabusa, 2013 Yamaha YP250R X-Max Sport - Previous: Triumph Sprint ST1050ABS, Honda XL600V Transalp, Honda NT650V Dullsville (don't ask!), Kawasaki ZX9R E1, Honda NX650 Dominator, Suzuki GSX1300RKZ Hayabusa, Honda CBR1000FM, Kawasaki GPZ500S, etc etc

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:14 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

How have you cleaned the caliper? Quick external wash out, or stripped down, seals out and cleaned out behind the seals, freed of the sliding pins, etc?

All the best

Keith

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:40 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith has it spot on again.

Strip it, get a trusted car/bike garage, engineers, someone clever to blow your pistons out, do not use pliers unless of the internal variety specific to brake piston removal (these are shit, anyway). I have dedicated piston pullers, but even these have had only limited success on cacked calipers. Not worth the dosh, for a one off.

I may be going against the grain on this forum, but use red rubber grease when installing your NEW seals, as brake fluid is hygroscopic, why attract moisture to where you least want it..? Get the braided hose, works wonders on shite brakes (like mine, which are now awesome). Clean, clean, clean. You may find the need for a bit of a rub down and a blow over. You will be amazed. Take your time, and enjoy it, don't break out heavy tools and check the many videos on youtube.

As amazed as I was when Itchy posted the above re; bleeding, and did not once mention China or HK! Laughing Good advice, there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calliper rebuild cannot here but you said it at the start :=

Quote:
the disc is worn and probably needs replacing

You will not get great brakes with a worn disk !

Red brake grease had been used in the trade for 10 years or so installing calliper seals I now moving to a silicon grease that even better Brake fluid is for out of date idiots and indeed causes lots of corrosion on alloy callipers it is OK on steel car callipers the car trade is where that idea came from probably via Haynes joke books

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bern wrote:
Keith has it spot on again.

Strip it, get a trusted car/bike garage, engineers, someone clever to blow your pistons out, do not use pliers unless of the internal variety specific to brake piston removal (these are shit, anyway). I have dedicated piston pullers, but even these have had only limited success on cacked calipers. Not worth the dosh, for a one off.

I may be going against the grain on this forum, but use red rubber grease when installing your NEW seals, as brake fluid is hygroscopic, why attract moisture to where you least want it..? Get the braided hose, works wonders on shite brakes (like mine, which are now awesome). Clean, clean, clean. You may find the need for a bit of a rub down and a blow over. You will be amazed. Take your time, and enjoy it, don't break out heavy tools and check the many videos on youtube.

As amazed as I was when Itchy posted the above re; bleeding, and did not once mention China or HK! Laughing Good advice, there.

All true ^ but depending on the caliper it can be alot easier to push the pistons out under the force of the hydraulic line before you strip it, remove pads, pins etc and pump the brake untill both pistons are nearly falling out, if one is stuck, use mole grips, or some kind of clamp to hold the free one, and pump the sticking one out.

A collegue of mine used compressed air to blow one out once.. he lost a fingernail. Sick

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:58 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busa1340R wrote:
Have you a reason to suspect the master cylinder is at fault. Has the bike got high mileage or been used a lot for town work?

Does the lever come right back to the bar if held on for a while?

No, I don't know really, I just thought it might help. It's got 35k on it, no idea how it's been used other than it seems to have done very little for the past few years.

The lever stays where it is if held for a while. Does that rule out the m/c then?

I gave it a good scrub with an old toothbrush but I haven't stripped it yet.

I'll try stripping it next and re-bleed it. Think I might buy a new disc before I try the new line then, I suppose there's no point adding a braided line with a trashed disc.

I don't understand the dished disc thing though, isn't the travel from the pads to disc always a constant?

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:03 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bern wrote:
You may find the need for a bit of a rub down and a blow over. You will be amazed. Take your time, and enjoy it, don't break out heavy tools and check the many videos on youtube.

OK, once I'm done with the caliper I'll text a few ex's and see what I can come up with. Mr. Green
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solyent Blue wrote:
Or as I once saw, drill through from the back of the caliper so you can drift the piston out, then tap the hole so you can stick a bolt in the caliper (with a copper washer under it mind you). Sickening Sick

how to die: part 1.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be late, but I had a chance to experience the difference between OEM brake hose and the braided one on a 98 CB500 (Brembo calipers on both wheels) and I say braided hoses are overrated, at least on that bike. The performance was worse, the lever got far too hard to be used sensibly and it gave you no real control of the brake.

If you want a ''proper front brake'' take MC and caliper from a sportbike, although I think the OEM caliper and MC on the CB500 is sufficient enough. Also having progressive springs will also increase the front brake performance. Thumbs Up

It all comes down to your personal feel and taste.

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:00 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solyent Blue wrote:
Or as I once saw, drill through from the back of the caliper so you can drift the piston out, then tap the hole so you can stick a bolt in the caliper (with a copper washer under it mind you). Sickening Sick

https://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/331/816/e56.jpg

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:09 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I might be late, but I had a chance to experience the difference between OEM brake hose and the braided one on a 98 CB500 (Brembo calipers on both wheels) and I say braided hoses are overrated, at least on that bike. The performance was worse, the lever got far too hard to be used sensibly and it gave you no real control of the brake.

If you want a ''proper front brake'' take MC and caliper from a sportbike, although I think the OEM caliper and MC on the CB500 is sufficient enough. Also having progressive springs will also increase the front brake performance. Thumbs Up

It all comes down to your personal feel and taste.

Nothing ordered yet.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see how I get on with a proper strip and clean and maybe new piston seals and a new (or better) disc.
Thumbs Up

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try gripping the brake hose tightly with one hand, whilst applying the brake with the other. If you can feel the hose swelling, you will definitely benefit from fitting braided hoses. Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:35 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
Try gripping the brake hose tightly with one hand, whilst applying the brake with the other. If you can feel the hose swelling, you will definitely benefit from fitting braided hoses. Smile

Thing is the braided hoses can do that as well (tried a few years ago measuring how much a few bikes hoses expanded when the brakes wee pulled hard - one that did so the most were the original fitment braided hoses on Charlottes Triumph)

All the best

Keith

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:33 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that the brake lever has been bent a little towards the bar? Is it roughly the same distance away as the clutch?

The reasons for these question is my own experience with this problem a few months ago when a re-build kit and braided lines failed to completely fix a problem caused by a subtly bent lever.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
Solyent Blue wrote:

Oh really why is that? All bike hydraulic couplings are held by threaded fasteners, some are even in exact spot mentioned. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

Celt500, the way to check that your master cylinder is not at fault is pinch the brake hose shut gently just above the caliper. The lever should be solid, if it is you're problem is with the caliper.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Oh really why is that? All bike hydraulic couplings are held by threaded fasteners, some are even in exact spot mentioned. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

Sure, but would you buy a bike that had calipers that had holes drilled behind the pistons? Thinking I know I wouldn't.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

While I can see where Pete is coming from, someone drilling and tapping a hole in the middle of an unsupported flat plane of a thickness I am unsure about (thinned even more to provide a smooth surface to seal the join) would worry me.

All the best

Keith

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Sure, but would you buy a bike that had calipers that had holes drilled behind the pistons? Thinking I know I wouldn't.

I'd put a torque wrench on it. If it's a M6 bolt and done up to 7 foot pounds then it's properly tightened. Nothing more to worry about.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pete. wrote:

I AGREE
I had umpteen f*cked calipers for ma wee gamma. notorious for seizing.
as an experiment, i tried drilling a 3mm hole through back of caliper but it wasnt big enough.
worked up to 5mm, being careful not to hit the piston.

1 hammer & a good punch & caliper came out.
remember this was after plus gas, air-line etc.
i then cut threads in the back of caliper + sealed it with a small bolt + ptfe tape. until i could get it welded.
worked great.
ended up with around a dozen spare pistons lol,

cheers,
GAZ

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad is the travel on your front brake in real terms? In my experience some are much sharper than others. For example the one on my R6 with standard lines is really sharp with little travel, where as the one on my missus's Hornet travels a proportion further and that is with braided hoses too. All of the brakes are in tip top condition, good pads, fluid changed, all cleaned and lubed etc - it just seems to be the way that they are.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1