Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what to buy?(brand new bike)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: what to buy?(brand new bike) Reply with quote

Now I have passed my cbt it has taken me all of 2 days to talk my wife to letting me buy a new bike.
As I said to her.... it would be wiser to go new and get all sparkly and new and nice rather than go 2nd hand and want to change bikes every few months or so.
Now the problem is...... I donno what bike I want.
I have narrowed it down to a honda cbf or the yamaha ybr if I go geared bike but( always a but somewere,can never be easy) I am tempted to stay with a scooter and get a piaggio fly 125 .

Basicly i want to buy a bike that will last me worry free for a couple years or so, and be able to hold 50mph with ease on a duel carrageway and get me to work in the morns which all 3 would be able to do.

Budgeting upto £2,600 at most and both the honda and yam are that price with 4.9% piaggio fly is £2200 with 0%

What would you go for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mirey
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a second hand YBR 125 for £900 on ebay....
It's in great condition but it's too slow for me. As soon as I pass my test (after Christmas) I'll be moving up.

You'll immediately lose a ton of money if you buy new, and it's your first bike, so why bother?

I would say go to a dealer and see which one you prefer sitting on though. From what I can tell there really isn't much difference between modern 125s - just looks / riding position. (though I'm new as well, but I did a decent amount of research before getting my YBR)

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 18 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll immediately lose a ton of money if you buy new, and it's your first bike, so why bother

you only lose a ton of money if you plan of not keeping it, I look at it that im happy to 'lose' a average of £500 a year on a bike so if i was to own a new bike for say 4-5 years then the value of the bike after scrap value is just a bonus.

Obv i could buy a £1000 2nd hand bike and not lose anything, But I fancy the fact with a new bike there is no MOT for 4 years (n.ireland) and 2 years warranty etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:50 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some-one has to buy new bikes or there'd be no second hand ones.
If you can afford it, will appreciate and enoy it; do it.
Brand new wheels under your bu is the best you are ever likely to have, and for a newb... means anything that goes wrong, is probably YOU, not the bike!
As for the choice between the two? Well, you haven't picked a Chinese lottery, or gone for a teenage posing pouch. You have short listed two sensible, practical, good VFM motorcycles... that there ISN'T a lot to choose between.
Honda's built in India and, they have had a few QC issues with them; YBR is built in China, and while fiish doesn't seem as good as it might be on a Honda, seems less variable. Honda is a little bigger framed, and better appointed. YBR a tad cheaper and a little easier to look after. Biggest issues likely to tp the balence between them is how they feel i the metal on the dealers show-room floor, ad what you can get the man in the suit to chuck in to sweeten the deal, really.
Your talking to the wrong people here.... get the shop, kick some tyres, wave the cheque book about and see if you can get a top-box and decent lock and chain, maybe even get the chaps in boiler suit round the back to fit a factory alarm for the ask price, if nothing off it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you decide on scooters look at the honda pcx as well

smack kon your budget but a cracking scoot (just dont try jumping bmws with them )

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:18 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new YBR.
I didn't regret it as it was 0% finance and just before they went up £500 but with hindsight I would buy an older one with maybe 10k or so miles on it.
You lose a lot of money buying new and to keep the warranty going you'll probably end up buying an expensive service plan that a 125 doesn't really need.
The new ones rust like hell.In 6 months I could see plenty of rust on mine and the exhaust looked quite bad.The cheap tyres are dangerous and don't last.
If you buy an older bike for say a grand,it will probably have newer decent brand tyres on it and if it was going to rust it would have already done so.For some reason the older bikes seem to be better made.
I wasn't bothered about passing my test when I bought mine but after a year I'd taken and passed it and wanted something bigger.
Its not a mistake to buy new,especially if you are going to keep the bike 2 years or so.You get some piece of mind but tbh the Ybrs are pretty reliable,so you shouldn't have any problems with a second hand one.
Speed wise the YBR I had would do 80 down this big hill and 70-75 on flat, depending on the wind.Obviously the clocks are out but aren't all 125 clocks.
There are faster and more expensive choices but the YBR is a very good bike.But as I said I'd look for a second hand one that's been past the point at which it would rust.
Dealers give them a lick of paint but if you look close at the pipe and footpeg rests you can see they have been resprayed.I imagine in 2 months the rust will be back through.

Last edited by Wednesday Biker on 10:26 - 19 Sep 2014; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: what to buy?(brand new bike) Reply with quote

dou91e wrote:
As I said to her.... it would be wiser to go new and get all sparkly and new and nice rather than go 2nd hand and want to change bikes every few months or so.

Hang on... wife? Are you 19 or above?

Then I'd caution against wasting your time and money on a tiddler. Whatever you get, you will want to change it within a few months - or the moment that you ride something bigger.

dou91e wrote:
What would you go for?

A 250 or above.

However, if you're determined to stick with 125s long term, are going to go new, and just want reliable transport, then any of the Honda 110-125cc scooters.

If you do that then I'd suggest having a look at "Tucano Termoscud" invalid blankets: they really do work well on scooters over winter.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That much money..... full licence and big bike (2nd hand)

If you really want a 125 I'd get the YBR over the CBF but you are insane to buy either brand new.

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I had decided on the ybr but I have just been offered a 09 CBF with 6500 miles MOT and tax until april for the princly sum of £1,100
with a proper protected jacket and suit, proper boots,a helmet that cost him £150,a rain cover and tank bag.

Will be buying it tomorrow(well have to give him £300 deposit with rest on monday tbh) But i think its a bit of a bargain with a brucey bonus on top tbh.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:13 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a cracking deal...

...and with the money you've spent you can start thinking about a full license...

...and you'll not lose any money on it when you sell it on for a bigger bike...

...in 6 months time Smile See you then for a 'what big bike' thread Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:36 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dou91e wrote:
a helmet that cost him £150

Barely worn, never been dropped?

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dou91e wrote:
ok I had decided on the ybr but I have just been offered a 09 CBF with 6500 miles MOT and tax until april for the princly sum of £1,100
with a proper protected jacket and suit, proper boots,a helmet that cost him £150,a rain cover and tank bag.

Will be buying it tomorrow(well have to give him £300 deposit with rest on monday tbh) But i think its a bit of a bargain with a brucey bonus on top tbh.

Try and get someone who knows about bikes to look over it before parting with your hard earned cash or at least check the log book for genuine servicing and proof of oil changes in the form of receipts.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known the fella that is selling the bike for years tbh, I know hes more fussy than I am and I am a fussy sod. It is a bike I said to him I would buy should he sell 2 years ago. It just is one of those right time lucky sod moments for me. I will post pics next week and tbh in 3-4 months time when I have got the cash again in the bank I will most likely be asking if a triumph speed triple( I saw and I wanted ) would be a wise 1st big bike lol

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I agree with you on the dont bother with a 125 thing Roger. Granted I'm only on a CBT and been riding 6/7 months but a 125 is actually way more than I need and although I'm planning on doing the full A next year I'm not planning on upgrading to a bigger bike anytime soon. Then again, I'm hardly a speed demon anyway

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with you on the dont bother with a 125 thing Roger. Granted I'm only on a CBT and been riding 6/7 months but a 125 is actually way more than I need and although I'm planning on doing the full A next year I'm not planning on upgrading to a bigger bike anytime soon. Then again, I'm hardly a speed demon anyway

A 250 still costs peanuts to insure, tax and gets 70 odd to the gallon. Can do motorways ok and even handle 2 up riding at NSL speeds. Has (just) enough grunt for safe overtakes..... and that was all my few hundred quid's worth of cheap underpowered Chinese 250.

Unless you plan to only ride urban roads at 30/40 mph it makes a lot more sense than thrashing the arse off a 125 constantly.

SandTiger
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:54 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:

When you've had a few days on a big bike, you'll soon decide that you want one, and be able to notice the benefits of having one even more. Even if that big bike is just a 250. That extra power does come in handy.

CG Sam
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:21 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:

I absolutely love my 125, but was desperate for more, got it in the 400, and still want more!!!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: what to buy?(brand new bike) Reply with quote

dou91e wrote:
Basicly i want to buy a bike that will last me worry free for a couple years or so, and be able to hold 50mph with ease on a duel carrageway

Dual carriageway :-

https://www.blueschoolofmotoring.com/media/top-tips/lane%20discipline.jpg

Duel carriageway :-

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/motorcycle_jousting_7687.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
dou91e wrote:
a helmet that cost him £150

Barely worn, never been dropped?

Our dougie has nothing in his head to protect so a worn dropped helmet will make no odds to him. Wink

Not much more to add but get some road experience up and then go for the big bike test. Look after that bike the way you do the cars you have owned and you'll be lucky to give it away. I mean keep it clean, serviced and looked after and you'll be able to sell it for around the same price as you buy it and lose nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here is my new bike. deposit paid pick it up on tuesday.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: what to buy?(brand new bike) Reply with quote

Congrats Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:47 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with you on the dont bother with a 125 thing Roger.

On what experience are you basing that though?

MissTamsin wrote:
Granted I'm only on a CBT and been riding 6/7 months but a 125 is actually way more than I need

That's what I told myself too. Wink

MissTamsin wrote:
although I'm planning on doing the full A next year I'm not planning on upgrading to a bigger bike anytime soon.

I said that!

I lasted a week. 250, 305, 500, 800... 500... now going down again.

MissTamsin wrote:
Then again, I'm hardly a speed demon anyway

Well, I'm not advocating a Fireblade. My daily ride claims 20-something bhp. Rear wheel, it's more likely in the teens, and it objects strongly to being taken past a real 60mph.

But it pulls eagerly up to that speed, blatting away roguishly, and even with the skinny tyres and 85-90mpg fuel economy it feels more substantial than a 125 while retaining much of the fun factor.

There's an ideal bike out there for everyone. I suggest that you'd more likely to find it if you have a full license and nothing to prove.

Might have to get a Street Triple or CBR600 at some point though just to appease the Massive. Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:49 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy-plate? Eh?

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do live in belfast, so a N.ireland plate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1