Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Net Neutrality.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Net Neutrality. Reply with quote

It's a term that's been getting bounced around for the past year or so.
If you want a 3min "what is it" explanation click this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4Ej3IVefo

If you think it doesn't or won't have any impact on you, you are wrong.

If ISP companies are allowed to create "fast-lanes", will there be anyway to circumnavigate the restrictions?
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Benno
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our future unfortunately.

Buy plenty of lube, because you're going to get so much corporate dick up your ass in tomorrowworld.

It really does take the piss. They pretty much can say "why don't we just tell people we're going to charge them more money? they can't do shit about it! hahahahaha!"

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
This is our future unfortunately.

Buy plenty of lube, because you're going to get so much corporate dick up your ass in tomorrowworld.

It really does take the piss. They pretty much can say "why don't we just tell people we're going to charge them more money? they can't do shit about it! hahahahaha!"

Can't it just Happen already?

Then we can live in a wonderful world of radioactive wastelands, vodka and unlicensed firearms.

https://i.imgur.com/835LABz.jpg

Apparently portugal has already reached such times. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really seem something new on the face of things - bandwidth throttling has been going on for a long time. It just seems now they're proposing it along the lines of a sort of 'protection racket' system of service.

Total BS. But totally profitable. So pretty much guaranteed to happen sooner or later I expect Rolling EyesThumbs Down

Pay up for the 'fast lane'. Get a better service. Honest.
https://www.darkhorizons.com/assets/0012/5153/capone_article.jpg?1284477476

Imonster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality. Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
It's a term that's been getting bounced around for the past four years or so.

FTFY. If it's a subject you're interested in, check out Chris Marsden's blog https://chrismarsden.blogspot.co.uk/ in conjunction with technollama.co.uk.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality. Reply with quote

Imonster wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
It's a term that's been getting bounced around for the past year or so.

FTFY. If it's a subject you're interested in, check out Chris Marsden's blog https://chrismarsden.blogspot.co.uk/ in conjunction with technollama.co.uk.

It was first mentioned about four years ago, yet it has been getting bounced about for atleast the past year.

It is a subject that I have been following for a while, and it's a stupid idea.
The person who dreamt this up should be given a gameboy and told to stay away from other people.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:35 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU#t=125

Spudly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 20 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember rightly, in Neal Stevenson's novel Snow Crash, the main character has to use a poor person's internet and is stunned by the amount of advertising they are hit with, then remembers he pays his fee to avoid all that.

Snow Crash was published in 1992.

It isn't a new idea, but it's getting more and more relevant.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 21 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home ISPs oversell their available bandwidth. If you've ever bought business internet, you know how expensive it can be to get less contended bandwidth with higher guarantees. The fact is that most home users don't use much of their theoretical bandwidth most of the time - but they have need for fat bandwidth occasionally. Overselling is a reasonable deal all round; much cheaper than guaranteed fat pipes, and much faster than guaranteed narrow pipes.

Hi-def video on demand served over internet - Netflix and friends - break this business model. People who use Netflix regularly have no difficulty downloading masses of data, far more than people who don't have a Netflix account. Substitute Netflix with a hi-def video streaming service of your preference, Lovefilm, whatever. I'm going to use Netflix throughout.

The payment for the extra bandwidth needs to come from someone, and that someone is end users, the customers, you and me. Either ISPs charge people who download more, or ISPs charge companies like Netflix, and Netflix charges end users more. Either way, end users will pay.

The question is, who exactly is going to pay - what will be the distribution of payment? Bandwidth caps have never been popular - creating internet account tiers based on caps causes anxiety, people are worried about overage charges, and they similarly get indignant if they happen to go over one month and get throttled instead. So it seems hard for ISPs to charge end users who use more bandwidth, more money.

So ISPs are left with a choice. They can either raise prices across the board, or they can try and charge companies like Netflix more money for access to their customers, and rely on Netflix solving the charging problem.

Raising prices across the board means that people who use Netflix will be subsidised by people who don't. Your parents, grandparents and other less technically literate users will be paying for your Netflix usage. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

The alternative is to charge Netflix more. It seems fairer to me.

This is why I'm not particularly in favour of "net neutrality" as a trivially obvious principle.

I also don't want ISPs to have too much power to regulate what goes on on their networks. I want them to be as content neutral as possible. But I do think the charging mechanism needs to be more accountable than simple peering arrangements. Otherwise the system isn't going to be fair.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 21 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

Lots of good points.

My main concern with this is whether its being proposed to try balance out/charge accountability to those who use bandwidth, or is just another way of excessively profit further off the service they can already easily afford to provide. I'm not entirely sure what the precise service provider costs vs bandwidth usage figures are for most ISP's currently to be honest, but I do wonder if this is just going down the same lines that many mobile-network providers used for years - charging unfairly excessive rates for texts/calls/data usage abroad in that case; until the European Commission started clamping down on it and capping the charges during the last few years. That was seen as essentially profiteering considering the charge to the company Vs charge to the customer.

ISP's are of course a business like any other and most will want to make large profits, but the problem is if this sort of system goes ahead there could essentially be a 'pay-up extra or get no useable service' situation regardless of costs to the provider for the individuals specific usage.

Bank overdraft fee's are another similar example - does the 'risk/loan/administration' costs to the bank associated with someone going into their overdraft reasonably justify the usually extortionate fee's charged to the individual. I would hope ISP charges follow mobile-network charges and become generally fairer, rather than continuing or increasing how much they blatently rip people off like many bank-fee's do.

_Chris_
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:42 - 21 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a huge problem with it, IF the price for low use/non-streaming goes way way down to a couple of quid a month.

Of course, they wont do this, they'll just charge higher-users more.

I understand it, ISPs started provided a service at a particular price, since then the way we eat gigabytes has changed. I'm paying half the price I was 15 years ago for a service that's about 10x faster (and I have a 'slow' connection)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1