Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Full Moped/Motorcycle Theory Confusion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

dairyleaDunka...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:17 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Full Moped/Motorcycle Theory Confusion Reply with quote

I've searched about this on the forum but since all the posts are a bit old, and things seem to keep changing re licencing I thought I'd ask.

It says here https://www.gov.uk/driving-theory-test/who-needs-to-take-the-test

Quote:
If you hold a full moped licence issued after 1 July 1996 following a test you don’t need to take the motorcycle theory test.

Does this apply to me? I took me CBT on a moped at 16, and then passed my full Car tests within the 2 years the CBT was still valid which gives me a full Moped licence yes? (no L-plates and pillion).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:47 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a flipping clue.

Have you tried booking a module 1 test? What does Computer Say?

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:51 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do a theory test. I took my car test in 1993 and could also ride a 50 without l plates, but had to do a theory when I took my bike test in 2012.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I misread, you don't state how old you are... Makes the question rather hard to answer

dairyleaDunka...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:00 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
Actually I misread, you don't state how old you are... Makes the question rather hard to answer

I'm now 23, nearly 24. Looking to do DAS in near future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, no you don't have a moped license unless you have taken a test on one. And you'll need a theory test for the new class of license.
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

dairyleaDunka...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:16 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Have you tried booking a module 1 test? What does Computer Say?

Couldn't 'book' a module 1 because I'm not at home with the right details, but went to 'book' a theory test and it showed me the option for a motorcycle theory test only which I suppose gives me my answer.

matto wrote:
And you'll need a theory test for the new class of license.

Guess I still have to pay £31 ... sorry £25.

Thanks

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:28 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: Full Moped/Motorcycle Theory Confusion Reply with quote

dairyleaDunkan wrote:

Does this apply to me? I took me CBT on a moped at 16, and then passed my full Car tests within the 2 years the CBT was still valid which gives me a full Moped licence yes? (no L-plates and pillion).

Not sure it does give you a full moped licence. I have a feeling it just gives you a moped licence with no need to keep retaking your CBT.

All the best

Keith

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm lots of confusion between the old grandfather(?) rights to ride a moped, the slightly newer moped license and the new license tests.

If you took you driving test in this century you need a cbt for any bike/scooter and to take a theory test and mod1 and 2 for anything bigger.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:33 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
Hmm lots of confusion between the old grandfather(?) rights to ride a moped, the slightly newer moped license and the new license tests.

If you took you driving test in this century you need a cbt for any bike/scooter and to take a theory test and mod1 and 2 for anything bigger.

The government web site is a bit confusing on this.

https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence

Especially as they say Mopeds have a maximum engine size of 50cc and a maximum speed of approximately 31mph. . The approx seems a bit redundant and that speed is now out of date for new bikes (and the licence grouping used to cover that change is another mess).

All the best

Keith
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:30 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have a feeling it depends on when the licence was issued. There seem to now be 3 different licence categories for mopeds, and if they only get an AM category then a 16 year old would be committing an offence by riding a 30mph moped Laughing .

It would seem there is no such thing as a moped licence. Merely a licence with groups AM or P on it:-

Category AM

You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)
maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

Category P

You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph).

Its engine size must not be more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.

It is licence category q that still has the grandfather rights for the old derestricted mopeds with pedals.

All the best

Keith

dairyleaDunka...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:53 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10708307_10152792254007990_1145140504_n.jpg?oh=79066ec77d066b2b7e3d8b71b2e7cb5d&oe=54247E8A&__gda__=1411680667_9ace9d27d347687fcb68ce78e6611a30

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:44 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh every day is a school day, I was wrong about that, sorry.

I'm certain you still will need to do a theory test for a category A license though as you haven't taken a moped test.

dairyleaDunka...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:15 - 25 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
Ooh every day is a school day, I was wrong about that, sorry.

Well it was worth a punt. I'm so glad that the system is so simple and clear ... Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1