Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Really new biker question...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:58 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Really new biker question... Reply with quote

So, recently my work changed location. Making me finally take action to get transport. Of course being a massive fan of the Custom-Cruisers thoughts I'd get a cheap bike for now and not a car. I'm 18 and can't yet get a full bike license.

However I've now got my CBT done and purchased a Kymco Agility City 125. When I'm 19 I plan on selling my bike a purchasing a cruiser and attempting my bike license. Now the whole geared bike seems confusing to me.

Is it easy to pick up? I've never driven a car before either so understanding gears seems a little confusing.

Appreciate any help/advice given. Thanks!
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Crazy-Duck
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:16 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning!

Gears are easier than you think. I was on a moped for 3 years, hopped on a geard bike last November for a taster session, waited till March for another lesson then pased mod 2 in June.

If you are worried look for a training school near you that offers a free get on session. It will put your mind at rest and give you a taste for gears. I promise you wont want to go back! Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:26 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine, although you will have to go through a period of adjustment as you rev the nuts off or stall it out waiting for the non-existent CVT to kick in. Wink

Braking is also an issue as you'll be making use of the rear brake on your scoot a lot, and that's the clutch hand on a geared bike. Not a huge deal, but try to at least use both brakes on the scoot then transition to more right hand (front) braking as you get closer to doing A2.

You will get it, it'll just take a bit of re-learning.

Are you planning on going via a training school, or buying your own A2 test bike and having a go yourself after some "private road" practice?
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Crazy-Duck
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:40 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Crazy-Duck wrote:
If you are worried look for a training school near you that offers a free get on session. It will put your mind at rest and give you a taste for gears. I promise you wont want to go back! Smile

On mine we didn't change gears :s Was kinda naff actually. Also it might annoy the training school a bit when they try and book you in for a cbt afterwards, and you tell them you've already done one Smile

Might have just been the place you went to, I went up to 3rd in the piddly carpark for my get on! scared the crap out of me! lol

If you tell them you already have a cbt but want to try out gears they should be ok, may try and sell you a bike at the same time like they did for me but just say you already have one and just wanted to get a feal for gears to see if it's for you.

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:16 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently saving up for a new bike. Planning to get a custom-cruiser around December/January time. Think I'll just have to have a little ride around the car park near mine. Get to grips with everything.

I believe I understand how to change the gears, just when and how to tell what gear to be in.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gears are easy to learn. Hardest part is pulling away and hill starts but that just takes practice.

You will know when to change gear by the sound of the engine and how strong the engine pulls when you twist the throttle. It's not hard to learn, you'll pick it up over time.

If you are slowing down when the revs drop and the engine sound gets lower you drop a gear. When picking up speed when the revs rise and the engine is screaming you go up a gear.

You really don't need to over think it, it's just something you will pick up as you get used to the bike and get used to how it behaves.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:40 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan420 wrote:
Planning to get a custom-cruiser around December/January time.

A 125? Lardy, slow, relatively hard to manoeuvre, they cost a surprising amount, and you'll be limiting your choice and passing up bargains.

I'd suggest that (if you get your own 125 geared bike at all) that you just get any good condition used Japanese branded commuter bike like a CG or YBR, use it for practicing, get your A2 license ASAP after you hit 19, then punt on the 125 and get on to the bike that you really want.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go for a cruiser style bike to learn on, they don't have great handling, being heavy they're gutless, a lot of them struggle to reach over 50mph, and the riding position can be uncomfortable. If you really want a cruiser wait until you have a full licence then at least you can get something with a proper cruiser engine. To learn on go for YBR125, CBF125 CBR125 or similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:34 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you're coming from about the cruisers.

However the second style of bike I really like is the 'Dirt Bike' (Don't know any makes or actually style name Smile ) style. When I went to my local motorcycle shop they had a few there. They seem lightweight and easy to handle.

Would any of you recommend these style of bikes for a beginners bike?

(Sorry if these questions sound stupid. Haven't ridden anything other than a 125 automatic scooter)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:52 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two, I'd suggest that you go with the "dirt" bike, by which I mean a trail / enduro / supermoto bike with road tyres rather than knobblies. Upright, lightish, narrow, easy to manoeuvre, good visibility. A tendency towards smaller tanks and being nicked by the local pikeys would be the downsides. Really, I wouldn't keep one outside without a serious (Almax, Pragmasis) chain and a ground anchor.

To be fair, I didn't really enjoy the SM125s that I tried, but other brands are available and they do make more sense than cruisers as a commuter or learning tool.

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:18 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Of the two, I'd suggest that you go with the "dirt" bike, by which I mean a trail / enduro / supermoto bike with road tyres rather than knobblies. Upright, lightish, narrow, easy to manoeuvre, good visibility. A tendency towards smaller tanks and being nicked by the local pikeys would be the downsides. Really, I wouldn't keep one outside without a serious (Almax, Pragmasis) chain and a ground anchor.

To be fair, I didn't really enjoy the SM125s that I tried, but other brands are available and they do make more sense than cruisers as a commuter or learning tool.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. Although I've still got some saving up to do I think personally now I'll look for the trail styled bikes.

As you mentioned about pikeys, I've already had first hand experience with them. I've had a group of them forcefully try and take my bike also my friend was rammed off the road by a van full of them, on his brand new bike.

Thanks again.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan420 wrote:
I can see where you're coming from about the cruisers.

However the second style of bike I really like is the 'Dirt Bike' (Don't know any makes or actually style name Smile ) style. When I went to my local motorcycle shop they had a few there. They seem lightweight and easy to handle.

Would any of you recommend these style of bikes for a beginners bike?

(Sorry if these questions sound stupid. Haven't ridden anything other than a 125 automatic scooter)

Get one of these as youre probably going to be on a 125 for a while. It has the full 15BHP which i think only the KTM Duke 125 has but its more reliable.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Yamaha/Yamaha-WR125X-2009-current/

Get the X (super moto style) rather than the R (trailie style) as realisaticaly your going to be road riding and its has nice fat grippy tires compared with things like YBRs which have skinny round skis.

Whats your budget?

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:

Whats your budget?

£4-5,000 maximum. Not looking to spend too much on my first geared bike. Preferably second hand too.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan420 wrote:
Boozehawk wrote:

Whats your budget?

£4-5,000 maximum. Not looking to spend too much on my first geared bike. Preferably second hand too.

Youl get a perfectly decent second hand WR125X for £3k and sell it on no probs when youre finished with it. Theyre a proper sized bike as well unlike a lot of other 125s so you get better road presence. If I had known how good they are I would have just bought a second hand one instead of new.

These are decent examples.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/yamaha/wr125x/_/N-148+2765+191?Dis=80&Nf=P_Geocode|GCLT%2052.45262161,-1.8793220877%2080&Rpp=10&XiiWs23xFSB=B12%208QJ&Ns=

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
4-5k, at 18? Shocked I'd just stay on the scooter until you can do your A2. Geared 125's are a chore anyway, your always going for a gear change, thinking about a gear change, wanting a gear change but know you'll start going backwards on that big hill if you do.

Probably right actually. 5K is a lot. easily gets you through tests and onto any number of good bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:54 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan420 wrote:
£4-5,000 maximum.

Whoa. That's an A2 license and a 0 mile pre-reg CB500F right there.

It's not bonkers to get your own geared 125, but the moment you get on an A2 training bike, you'll fall out of love with the 125.

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:43 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work 6 days a week. Been saving up constantly. Really want a new bike (already :/).

I honestly just want a none-scooter bike with gears to last me a year. Really love the look and the sound of both Cruisers and the trail bikes.

As well down to my work I'm constantly riding back and forth. Which now with a bike is great fun.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll probably ask more questions at a later date when I have more money saved.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:38 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect to stall a lot, find a quiet parking lot or road and practice their.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cheap (=<£1000) jap 125 and use until you can get the A2 the second you turn 19. You really don't want to spunk that sort of money on a 125 if you actually DO plan on going up licences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bryan420
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:56 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly once I've got my second bike (first geared) I plan to keep it for at least a year or 2. Because of work and saving up for other things after purchasing a bike.

However this Kymco scooter I have is great for me to go back a forth for work but I honestly right now feel that a 125 will be fine for 1-2 years.

However as a few of my friends and some on here have told me, I'll probably get bored of a 125 after a bit.

As well next year work will be requiring me to travel even further than now and I don't think I want to be riding a scooter longer than the distances I have been doing now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1