Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 07 Ignition

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bobby1289
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:21 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 07 Ignition Reply with quote

Hey Everyone.

New to the forum sorry if this sounds dumb.

The ignition on my YBR 07 is faulty. When the key is turned to the On position there is no power, however if I turn the key back to between the On and Off position the power comes on.

I have taken the ignition out and its looks like there is some corrosion on the wiring in the ignition. I want to replace the ignition with a new one but the problem is, I can't find the one for my model anywhere. The ignition on mine connects via a '4 spade' connector block. All the ignitions I can find have 3 wires going into the connector block and the fourth wire separate.

Heres what I can find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YBR125-2005-2006-Lock-Set-inc-Ignition-Switch-Fuel-Cap-Seat-Lock-Keys-/350955950570?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item51b69ad1ea

Is there anywhere I can find the correct ignition, I've looked all over. Or is there a way to make the ignition I have found work with my model.

Thanks.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the corrosion showing?

That sounds more like an issue with the barrel than the wiring though.

Have you tried cleaning it out? Blow through it, put some alcohol down it, or WD-40 I suppose if you've got nothing better to hand. Graphite powder is the dogs for locks though.

bobby1289
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:07 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The corrosion is where the wires are soldered to the bottom of the the ignition barrel.

I put down wd40 down it when I took it out. I've got some graphite powder at work, so will try that.

Its hard to describe but, the barrel does feel a little wierd. The inner barrel where the key goes feels lose. Sometimes when I put the key in it presses in and sticks. I have to wiggle the key to make it spring back up. Maybe somethings broke inside?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like.

I wouldn't recommend this, but I have rescued a shonky lock by simply packing it out with grease.

If it's past saving though, are the wire colours the same on that replacement, and it's just the connectors that are different? If so, chop off the blocks and solder your 4-spade block on to the new wires?

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think its corrosion on the soldered joints then pull the barrel and resolder surely?

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soaking the connectors in vinegar will remove the corrosion, but don't leave them soaking for too long at a time (repeat until mended) - and wash thoroughly with water, dry completely, and treat with WD40 after.

Just a thought - has this recently happened? Could some tow-rag have been fiddling with it?

Another thought - could the previous owner have tried to bodge a repair, leaving it with a non-standard connector now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YBR 07 Ignition Reply with quote

bobby1289 wrote:

Is there anywhere I can find the correct ignition, I've looked all over. Or is there a way to make the ignition I have found work with my model.

Thanks.

Yes there is a place you can find it. No need to be creative and chop or reroute blocks Laughing

Go to Yamaha parts finder, find your exact part, print the part number, go to your nearest Yamaha dealer and they will supply you the correct part.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/online-parts-catalogue/index.aspx

And no you do not clean electrical contacts with WD-40 Very Happy

You use electrical contacts cleaner for ignition and other electricals:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-400ml

Finally if you need to lubricate any lock including your bike ignition lock, use dry graphite lubricant:

https://www.tesco.com/direct/graphite-lock-lubricant/302-5712.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=302-5712&ui=mercury&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Car_302-5712kpid=302-5712&sc_cmp=tp1_ppc_g__&kpid=302-5712&gclid=CjwKEAjwqamhBRDeyKKuuYztxwQSJAA1luvG0yYPf4RLyD5GvX3ksdKYI5Uve4OfAOaNa-9gdzl6oRoCdGHw_wcB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1