Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decline in young people taking test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

The tests are fine and in honesty I think they work really well, it's all genuine testing and none of it do I think 'what a load of bollocks' unlike the theory which asks bullshit about trams and fuel emissions (oh yes i'm so much more safer on the road now I know what a catalytic converter is)

I got the Catalytic Converter and tram questions wrong and still passed my theory, jumped through their hoops without learning their bullshit.
Middle Finger Cool Middle Finger DVLA.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

Isn't it born again middle aged bikers that crash the most anyway?
That and me...

Difficult to know.

Looking at the 2013 accident stats on page 86, the number of riders involved in reported accidents by age:-

Under 16 - 24
16 - 661
17 - 337
18 - 184
19 - 117
20-24 - 344
25-29 - 189
30-39 - 247
40-49 - 179
50-59 - 93
60 and over - 55
Age not reported - 102

OK, this doesn't take any account of miles travelled, when / where they rode, etc. But the number of 18 year old riders involved in reported accidents is more than all those in their 40s. If they are doing roughly the same mileage then the 18 year olds have ~10 times as many accidents, and I suspect the 40-49 year olds average more miles.

All the best

Keith

Although I have no evidence to back it up, I suspect the 16-20 year olds have the bike as their only mode of transport, so have to ride in the rain, dark, cold and during rush hour, where as the 40+ riders probably have a car, so tend ride only when it's dry and warm.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

The tests are fine and in honesty I think they work really well, it's all genuine testing and none of it do I think 'what a load of bollocks' unlike the theory which asks bullshit about trams and fuel emissions (oh yes i'm so much more safer on the road now I know what a catalytic converter is)

I got the Catalytic Converter and tram questions wrong and still passed my theory, jumped through their hoops without learning their bullshit.
Middle Finger Cool Middle Finger DVLA.

How can people not know what a catalytic converter is?

It's a lump of metal containing platinum in it that comes free with every new bike. When you remove it, your bike goes faster and the scrap man pays you £50 for it. Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Yes, as they thought they could make more money. What actually happened is everyone did their test before the new regulations came in (which probably further skewed the above figures.)

I did mine to beat the rush for the Mod 1 Mod 2 BS and the test centres were plenty busy that year so I'm told. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:57 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
So really the licensing regimes forces more high risk groups, young CBT riders Thinking

Possibly.

I am not in favour of novices going for performance bikes, but there is a big difference between a performance bike and a middle weight normal bike. Same as there is a big difference between a novice and someone who has been potentially riding 8 years (since 16) before they are eligible for DAS.

Northern Monkey wrote:

Although I have no evidence to back it up, I suspect the 16-20 year olds have the bike as their only mode of transport, so have to ride in the rain, dark, cold and during rush hour, where as the 40+ riders probably have a car, so tend ride only when it's dry and warm.

Quite possibly true, but to go with that the 40+ riders are quite possibly also the ones going for long 'touring' journeys.

But a 10 fold difference is pretty big

All the best

Keith

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was 18 again, I'd never bother with a bike. There are sooooo many driving schools around me, I reckon I could get my car test passed for £250 with a single test... f**k spending up to a grand and 2 separate tests just to get on a bike...

I'd end up on "L" plates for life thrashing 2 strokes about at the weekend....

A car test also gives you a guaranteed job driving stuff about.... there's not many jobs nationally that require a bike license... ( obvious courier/medical type stuff excepted)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about a grand, cost me £300 to do my A license

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those figures don't surprise me at all.

Doing a test for A1 licence is so pointless when you can ride 125cc bike without it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 18 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Why would an 18 year old pass a test.

They can either do a cbt, and ride around on a 125, or

do a cbt, do some training, pass a theory test, do a module 1 test, then do a module 2 test, and then still be stuck on the same 125

My guess is they are saving their ponds until their 19th birthday to do an A2 test.

Hmm
While aware of CBT/A1/A2/DAS stuff, its all after my time and
don't know all the fine details.
What's bugging me now is surely MAG knows what northern monkey
and other have said about it being a waste of time until you're over 18
as you're still stuck with a 125.
So,why are they getting all het up about it?
Make work?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
If I was 18 again, I'd never bother with a bike. There are sooooo many driving schools around me, I reckon I could get my car test passed for £250 with a single test

But, for example an 18y/o lad I know passed his car test a couple of years ago, cheapest insurance he could get for anything on four wheels was four grand a year.

Still I know what you're saying, why take tests on something that will barely do 60mph and takes forever to get there when you can get an unrestricted car licence.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

What's bugging me now is surely MAG knows what northern monkey
and other have said about it being a waste of time until you're over 18
as you're still stuck with a 125.
So,why are they getting all het up about it?
Make work?

Longer term by the time someone is 18 then you have probably lost the chance of getting them on to a bike early; fair chance that if they need transport they will have got a car licence by the time it is worth going for a bike licence.

So less young riders to return born again riders, or to have been mates with those who might think about taking up riding a bike in later life. Which long term will kill off riding in the UK.

All the best

Keith

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete utter tripe.

Can't say it was unexpected really.

I'm bloody glad I passed my test first time (and only chance to be on the 33bhp law) otherwise I'd have probably gone a bit mental.

Horrific rules & tests IMO.

Thumbs Up

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:

They can either do a cbt, and ride around on a 125, or

do a cbt, do some training, pass a theory test, do a module 1 test, then do a module 2 test, and then still be stuck on the same 125

My guess is they are saving their ponds until their 19th birthday to do an A2 test.

Exactly. The only reason I can see for doing so is if it is necessary to regularly ride on the motorway, or regularly carry a pillion.

Can't think of any other reasons.

If I was 17, or 18, or 19, or 22, then I'd just ride a 125 on a CBT until I was 24 and could do DAS.
Although if I was too young for DAS I really don't think I could be bothered to ride... all the costs to do CBTs, pay for insurance and taxes, all to be stuck on a 125 with L plates. I've got a car, I'd rather stick to that until I could get a full licence.

I don't know why they couldn't just stick with the old system, it wasn't causing any problems at all. If they wanted to make any changes then maybe they should have put a probation on DAS and limit new riders to 100bhp for 12 months.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:16 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:

New Driver probationary period.
Motorways.
Bitches, yo.

By and large they won't though, for reasons that were bloomin' obvious at the time, let alone with hindsight.

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:58 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame them at all, I’m 29 and i don't know if i can even be bothered with the expense and hassle of it all, and I’d get a proper licence at the end of it. Poor sods.

It’s a joke, 12 years of faultless driving both home and abroad thousands of miles covered safely and those pricks have the sheer fucking audacity to make me do a Theory test?!
Then I’ve got to spunk £600+ on the DAS?! are they having a laugh?! I want to ride a motorbike not captain the HMS fucking Dauntless.

I tell you if I rock up to take my theory and I fail I’m going to have a rage induced brain aneurysm.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Motorways.
Bitches, yo.

Why would you want to take a pillion or go on the motorway with a 125 in the first place Question
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Why would you want to take a pillion or go on the motorway with a 125 in the first place Question

Pillion = Possible pussy

Motorway = Fuck knows I can't think of any reason for that one Laughing

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

I hit up the M621 on the CG for 1 junction as it went to the NSL. Never again!

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
Don't blame them at all, I’m 29 and i don't know if i can even be bothered with the expense and hassle of it all, and I’d get a proper licence at the end of it. Poor sods.

It’s a joke, 12 years of faultless driving both home and abroad thousands of miles covered safely and those pricks have the sheer fucking audacity to make me do a Theory test?!
Then I’ve got to spunk £600+ on the DAS?! are they having a laugh?! I want to ride a motorbike not captain the HMS fucking Dauntless.

I tell you if I rock up to take my theory and I fail I’m going to have a rage induced brain aneurysm.

Do you know trams?
Do you know fuel emissions?
Do you know to look out for cyclists and motorcycles on major to minor junctions?

Do you know how to click?
You'll be fine.

lol jk you'll probably most likely fail and have a spag

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Pillion = Possible pussy

Motorway = Fuck knows I can't think of any reason for that one Laughing

Quite a few city centres have motorways running through them with 50mph limits. They're not too bad on a 125.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Motorways.
Bitches, yo.

Because you have friends or girlfriends to take places. i.e. pals and pussy.

And if you need to go down a junction or two on the motorway to get to work/college/girlfriends/etc but to avoid the motorway would add 50% or more to distance and time it could be worth doing.

I used to use the M621 on an almost daily basis when living in Leeds. Officially it is a motorway, but a lot of it is more like an A-road bypass than an inter-city motorway. Sheffield Parkway is an A-road so CBT riders can use it... many parts of the M621 are almost identical but a motorway instead. Infact the Parkway has 70 limit for half of it whilst the M621 has a 50 limit

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:04 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Quite a few city centres have motorways running through them with 50mph limits. They're not too bad on a 125.

And that's a limit, not what will be achieved, the M8 in Glasgow being a case in point. It's pretty much a car park in the mornings and a smaller bike would actually be better for carving through it.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:

It’s a joke, 12 years of faultless driving both home and abroad thousands of miles covered safely

my mate drives a hgv for a living normally a extra wide or heavy load

failed the hazzerd bit three times as clicking too early Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:52 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Yup. You're expected to click at the point where you've have to re-act to the hazard, rather than when you should pro-act to stop it becoming a problem in the first place.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:56 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
Yup. You're expected to click at the point where you've have to re-act to the hazard, rather than when you should pro-act to stop it becoming a problem in the first place.

Makes me wonder how many advanced riders, or those special people who have transcended the 'system', would get on doing it cold without any rehearsal time. How much crying would there be that their superior skills, training and experience aren't rewarded or even appreciated ?

I mention this as my lad is practising and I tried. I did poorly on the hazard perception. I too put it down to being able to see the possibility of rather than the actual bugger me I'm about to crash moments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3