Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBay item not enough postage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: eBay item not enough postage Reply with quote

Ordered something from eBay that should have arrived last week.
Messaged the seller to ask if they can chase up with the courier as its not arrived.

Looks as though it's been sent 2nd class signed for

I've just received a card for a packet saying there is a payment due of £2.83p (inc royal fail's £1 handling fee)

Do I tell the seller or just leave it and see what happens / open item not arrived case if seller doesn't reply to my message?

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them. Tell them you will want reimbursing if you go and get it. If they say no then leave it uncollected and open a dispute for goods not received.

I would not go unless I have assurance I will be reimbursed. Would probably leave neutral feedback too unless they did something exemplary to make up for the inconvenience.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair few years ago I got a PS1 for about a tenner off eBay, with P&P of £3. Won the auction, then got a message from the seller saying that they are going to have to charge an extra £7 for p&p. I told them that if the p&p was going to cost more, then they should have set this accordingly at the beginning of the auction. I got the parcel through with no extra charges, the seller is responsible to set the right cost and pay the correct postage. As Minty said, get the seller to agree to reimburse before collection.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was free postage and I had got the item very cheap I'd probably take it on the chin and just pay it.

If he charged postage or the price of the item was on or near it's proper price (so not a bargain) then I'd demand the money as a partial refund and if refused open a case and buy elsewhere.

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you've ordered it because you want it. I'd be inclined to go and get it, pay the fee, get a receipt and message the seller to tell him he didn't pay enough postage and you'd like it reimbursed. If he doesn't pay up then you can open a case (I would imagine this would be covered under "item not as described").

I imagine that it's an honest mistake on the seller's part and he'll rectify it for you without much complaint if you explain what's happened.

If not and you have to open a case, you know that eBay will side with you as the buyer and let you keep the item, give you a full refund, the deeds to his house, the entire contents of his bank accounts and his pension.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact seller and tell them, would of been my first though.

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen to me once. Seller refunded the extra.

I've also had 3 customers complain to me about this. I send historical postcards with a protective cardboard backing, several hundred per month, and have my own measurement tester to check they are <5mm. They can be less than 5mm when packed and dispatched but if they get bent during transit then they can fail to go through the 5mm testing slot, all it takes it for someone to gently adjust it back in to shape so that it will fit again, but they don't, they just charge £1 + extra P&P and inconvenience my customer. I refund customer when asked.
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a white tank pad

I'm guessing it's not fitted through the 5mm gap or something like that.

I've messaged him again to explain that I've received the card for insufficient postage (prepared to scan it and send to show him if required) and if he'll re-fund the difference I'll pop along to the post office in my lunch - no idea where the place is but I'm sure I'll find it.

Waiting for a response

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a huge amount, I'd just pay it, get receipt, explain situation and ask politely for reimbursement. If they reimburse and no problems with the item then leave positive feedback.

If they don't reimburse you then open a dispute, or leave negative feedback. Don't leave feedback if you're opening a dispute though, wait until dispute is closed.

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:36 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much hassle is £3.83 worth?

Thats what you've got to ask yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
How much hassle is £3.83 worth?

Well that depends on how much you paid for the item.

Given that..
Quote:

£2.95
Free Postage

For one of ebay.....

Its more that the item cost Rolling Eyes

Could this be the seller Laughing

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

seller has apologised and re-funded so I can go and collect from post office

He's going to question the post office on what's happened.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been and collected the item,

Looks as though it's never had a stamp stuck to it!

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say I'm a prick for overcharging postage on eBay but this is exactly why I do it Thumbs Up
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:
People say I'm a prick for overcharging postage on eBay but this is exactly why I do it Thumbs Up

You overcharge because someone out there may undercharge? Confused

Is that some sort of karmic balance?

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he over charges because the Post Office weigh and measure your item then give it to Royal Mail. They then weigh and measure your item and you may be left out of pocket if the Royal Mail thinks differently to the Post Office.

Of course the Royal Mail refunds the difference if they think you've over paid... Rolling Eyes

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1JewSF wrote:
Why not just charge enough, rather than too much?

Because I don't know the actual cost before I ship it, so I use a courier website (DHL, UPS etc) to estimate the postage then depending on the item I'll whack a bit extra on. For a small item it's normally about 50p to a quid but if it's a big item (I've flogged guitars in the past) then I'll whack on about a fiver extra just in case.

b422063 wrote:
I think he over charges because the Post Office weigh and measure your item then give it to Royal Mail. They then weigh and measure your item and you may be left out of pocket if the Royal Mail thinks differently to the Post Office.

Of course the Royal Mail refunds the difference if they think you've over paid... Rolling Eyes

Pretty much this.

I got royally arse raped on an item I misjudged and I ended up with next to nothing for a quite expensive item once eBay had finished blackmailing me... err.. taking their fees and I'd underestimated the postage. Put a tenner down as postage and it ended up being over 20 quid.

I got dryfucked by the Royal Fail so now I over charge slightly.
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult is it to photo the item, then wrap it, weigh it, measure the dimensions and check it against the RM's price list? (handily provided by Ebay). Using this method means it's all ready to go as soon as the buyer has paid, no faffing around realising you're short of packing materials and have to delay because of it.
I usually do that then offer several methods of delivery so that it's up to the buyer to decide what type of service he/she wants and I found out quite recently that if you buy the postage direct through Ebay they discount the price as well so you get it cheaper than buying over the counter. All you've got to do is print the label, attach it and pick up a receipt from the PO.
Admittedly nothing I send is very small and it's packed well enough that it isn't going to change shape in the process of delivery.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:32 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
measure the dimensions and check it against the RM's price list?

Because once it's out of your hands, they control reality?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:

Because I don't know the actual cost before I ship it, so I use a courier website (DHL, UPS etc) to estimate the postage then depending on the item I'll whack a bit extra on. For a small item it's normally about 50p to a quid but if it's a big item (I've flogged guitars in the past) then I'll whack on about a fiver extra just in case.

Time that you learnt a basic business skill then..... Know exactly its going to cost BEFORE you put it up for sale.

It is not hard to work out the price of postage. Even if it means taking it to the post office and asking how much to send this....

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:21 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Even if it means taking it to the post office and asking how much to send this....

What do you do when the Post Office gets it 'wrong'? Royal Mail won't take the Post Office's word for it, they check themselves. You'll find yourself £1+the difference out of pocket. Over charge, cover yourself against the Royal Fail.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

b422063 wrote:

What do you do when the Post Office gets it 'wrong'? Royal Mail won't take the Post Office's word for it, they check themselves. You'll find yourself £1+the difference out of pocket. Over charge, cover yourself against the Royal Fail.

Well given that the post office weigh and size the item BEFORE giving you the price. Then print off the sticker with the correct amount of postage on it. Then take it from you to be sent off....

How can they get it wrong..... Rolling Eyes

Personally never had a issue. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2