Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra terms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DiggerHD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:47 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra terms Reply with quote

After I arrived at my cbt in Motherwell near glasgow for my cbt the instructor decided that me and the two other guys were needing to come back. ( no fall offs , no drops etc ) and as it was 4pm we wouldn't have enough time to get out on the road run.

I went back next date I could arrange, and as I had read the laminated ( not anywhere on website ) T&C I was aware of an extra £30 they would require...wasn't best pleased , so discussed with good few bikers I know any NOT ONE said they'd heard of such a practice....

I even called prior to my second visit to query and was told ' well that's a space someone could be in doing a cbt at £130'

Anyone have thoughts on this ? I deliberately haven't named the school... ( unaware if authorised as I'm new )

Still pissed about it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very common practice sometime if the instructor is not happy about letting you on the road to ask you to come the next day for little additional training before signng your CBT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DiggerHD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:05 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
it is very common practice sometime if the instructor is not happy about letting you on the road to ask you to come the next day for little additional training before signng your CBT.

That is totally fine with me val, and understand as me and two other guys had never ridden..... The extra cost policy though ?

That's main crux of my post

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:30 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schools are independent commercial organisations, like mobile phone providers, they all have thier own pricing policy & structure.

CBT is not a fixed duration course; the sylabus is set by the DSA, who authorise the school (ATB) to issue a DL196 'completion' certificate.

I don't know what the DSA charge these days, but, when was instructing was something £2,ooo for a book of 100 blank certs; so at least £20 of your course price, has gone, before you paid it, straight t DSA for the certificate you ent yet earned.

At £130, I'm guessing that included bike hire; again, before you paid a penny, school had to buy a bike for you to ride; what another £2K or so.. tax it, insure it, expensively, on commercial policy for 'any' unqualified rider.. then maintain it, and fix it should a student drop it... commercial bike hire, like the insurance companies use to give you a 'courtesy-bike' if you have been brought off, charge around £60 a day....

So, over half your course fee has been used up, by the DSA certificate cost, and bike hire, before the School get round to paying thier overheads; advertising, administration, public liability insurance, rent on an 'off-road' training ground meeting DSA requirements.... THEN, they might think about paying an instructor to teach you....

As said, CBT is a course, of no fixed duration; DSA guidelines suggest it a typical student ought be able to complete it within eight hours, bit provides that the instructor should go at the students own pace... and some students will need more.

Of the eight 'suggested' hours, at least for should be on the bike, two of them mandatory for the 'on-road' training, while DSA also stipulate a student / instructor ratio of no more than 2:1 for on-road and 4:1 off-road.... this means that a one man band cant take more than two students per course, or they would have to leave some-one behind on the road ride, and even larger schools, cant really get more than three students per instructor through 'on average'.

SO! Three Students, each paying £130 = £390, per instructor; three full day bike hires, take £180 out of that, three DL196's take another £60 (or more). Leaves £150... to pay an instructor for eight hours+ work... that's less than £20 per hour... Oh!But he'll have expenses; HE has to have a bike, and gear too.. another £60?

You are paying a 'professional' to do a job, outside, in all weathers, working 'unsociable' hours, usually on the week-ends, and seasonally, when people want to ride motorbikes....

And they can, at BEST hope to make just about as much per hour, when the work's there, as doing no-brain shelf stacking in TESCO's......

And you BEGRUDGE him asking, less than £10 an hour, for 'extra-training'.... including bike hire? Because YOU didn't pick it up so quick?

No, its not uncommon, and some schools, if you don't complete in the day, expect a full repeat course-fee for another day. You are, less the £20 DSA cert cost, using exactly the same resources of the business, whether you complete or not.

Some schools, will offer 'one fee - train till you pass', but look at the numbers again; to account for students that do require extra, they are either gong to have to charge a lot more to start with, or they will have to cut corners elsewhere, or start adding more pernicious 'hidden charges'.

So, no, its not unusual to be charged extra for extra training, and a mere extra £30, if that include a morning's bike hire? Well, that barely covers the cost of the bike hire! If not, it's still barely minimum wage for the blokes time to train you, so hardly 'unreasonable', let alone extortion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand where you're coming from with "hang on, paying extra?"

Teff has pretty much summed it up, every time a training centre's bike is started the puff of exhaust smoke is a small stack of £20 notes going up in smoke!

Think of it this way, you paid for an 8 hour training session with certificate at the end of it if you attained a certain standard.

Unfortunately you didn't attain the required standard and need a couple of hours extra training which does carry extra cost - the school should ideally have told you, but it's hard to say "oh, yeh, if you don't pass it'll be £XX to come back tomorrow and finish off" without demotivating trainees and making it more likely they will end up doing so.

The training school I know and recommend do charge for a second day / morning's training to complete CBT, if you're doing a set of training (going for DAS, A1 or A2) they'll just work it into the time you've booked and paid for.

It's easier to work out how much training someone with a CBT will need to get their licence as they can already ride so a 20 min assessment gives a good idea of how long a candidate needs, you can't do this with a CBT as the candidate has never been on a bike before.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better if they were more up front about it all. It does seem a bit "Ryan Air" about it all.
This is where a course for an advertised set fee and set time schedule falls down.
When my now ex-wife did her CBT there did seem to be a lot of down time that wasn't being used to the full, but she did go back at no extra cost.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:58 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

Marauder125cc wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on this ? I deliberately haven't named the school... ( unaware if authorised as I'm new )

I'm only aware of one training school in Motherwell. Wink

It depends on why you ran out of time. If the course started on time, had an hour's lunch break, was well taught and you genuinely only reached road standard at 4pm then it's fair enough. For two hours of road ride and 2:1 training, £30 is reasonable value.

If it started late, or they dicked around, it was run by Mr Shouty, there was a problem with the bikes, or they didn't have a bike per learner or not enough instructors (4:1 on the pad, 2:1 on the road, someone either needs to drop out or there has to be two road runs) then you've got more of a gripe.

But it's done now, it's small potatoes in the long run. Just be sure to check the T&Cs carefully when you pick a school for your test training.

I can't speak to the situation at the moment, but last I'm aware of, Ride On and Bike It were decent, Harleys in EK was OK, Bike Rite had lost their decent instructors.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:13 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
...I can't speak to the situation at the moment, but last I'm aware of, Ride On and Bike It were decent...

Did my training with Ride-on back in 2011. Had relatively new Yamaha xj6, good tuition, and ample exam prep time. No complaints from me Thumbs Up

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places around our area charge for an extra few hours at another day if you do not make the grade. As far as I know our school is the only one in the local area that offers an extra few hours another day free. If you do not get the standard by then you have to pay.

Lets look at the costs. A CBT with us will set you back £110 and the day starts at 9am and normally gets finished around 3-4pm so between 6 and 7 hours. Much like Teffers has said, those certificate books are expensive. Bike hire, Insurance, Overheads. instructor fee etc.

Now, compare your £110 to a 6 hour driving lesson. Most places are charging an average of £25 per hour. So theres £150 right away. So the actual cost of a CBT is relative if not cheaper than driving lessons.

We are upfront about the days training and explain they may not get the required standard in one day and if they do have to come back they will get a few hours extra at no charge but anything after that is extra.

The only other expense we have is an insurance excess which is signed at the start. As far as I know most places are the same. You agree to cover the excess if there is an accident which is your fault or replacement parts up to the value of the excess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Marauder125cc wrote:

I'm only aware of one training school in Motherwell. Wink

Aye, me too, it's only down the road from me. And they didn't charge me for my second day when I couldn't complete the first for being tired and not doing things right. This was about 3/4 years ago tho.

If they've changed their T&C's since then (after going bust I'd heard) then that will be the reason.

For info, if you live in the area, I wouldn't go there for lessons. I had a few, all with different guys, all telling me different things all the time. Talk to Gordon at https://www.sharper-ridertraining.com/ - he's self-employed and it's just him, so you're always getting taught from the same person each time. He's also a top bloke and a good laugh.

And cheaper than Route 66 too.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

Quote:

Marauder125cc wrote:
I had read the laminated T&C I was aware of an extra £30 they would require

Where does "hidden" come in to all this?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:54 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

It's likely the £30 is for the extra bike hire, AFAIK a CBT is a flat fee for training, however the use of the bike is what costs you. If you did it on your own bike it would likely be free. Thumbs Up

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above its fairly common practice, some charge extra some don't.

As roger said as long as they havnt fanny'd about and you genuinely need more training then its par for the course.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your anger for when you do your staged licence(s).

DiggerHD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:52 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
The schools are independent commercial organisations, like mobile phone providers, they all have thier own pricing policy & structure.

CBT is not a fixed duration course; the sylabus is set by the DSA, who authorise the school (ATB) to issue a DL196 'completion' certificate.

I don't know what the DSA charge these days, but, when was instructing was something £2,ooo for a book of 100 blank certs; so at least £20 of your course price, has gone, before you paid it, straight t DSA for the certificate you ent yet earned.

At £130, I'm guessing that included bike hire; again, before you paid a penny, school had to buy a bike for you to ride; what another £2K or so.. tax it, insure it, expensively, on commercial policy for 'any' unqualified rider.. then maintain it, and fix it should a student drop it... commercial bike hire, like the insurance companies use to give you a 'courtesy-bike' if you have been brought off, charge around £60 a day....

So, over half your course fee has been used up, by the DSA certificate cost, and bike hire, before the School get round to paying thier overheads; advertising, administration, public liability insurance, rent on an 'off-road' training ground meeting DSA requirements.... THEN, they might think about paying an instructor to teach you....

As said, CBT is a course, of no fixed duration; DSA guidelines suggest it a typical student ought be able to complete it within eight hours, bit provides that the instructor should go at the students own pace... and some students will need more.

Of the eight 'suggested' hours, at least for should be on the bike, two of them mandatory for the 'on-road' training, while DSA also stipulate a student / instructor ratio of no more than 2:1 for on-road and 4:1 off-road.... this means that a one man band cant take more than two students per course, or they would have to leave some-one behind on the road ride, and even larger schools, cant really get more than three students per instructor through 'on average'.

SO! Three Students, each paying £130 = £390, per instructor; three full day bike hires, take £180 out of that, three DL196's take another £60 (or more). Leaves £150... to pay an instructor for eight hours+ work... that's less than £20 per hour... Oh!But he'll have expenses; HE has to have a bike, and gear too.. another £60?

You are paying a 'professional' to do a job, outside, in all weathers, working 'unsociable' hours, usually on the week-ends, and seasonally, when people want to ride motorbikes....

And they can, at BEST hope to make just about as much per hour, when the work's there, as doing no-brain shelf stacking in TESCO's......

And you BEGRUDGE him asking, less than £10 an hour, for 'extra-training'.... including bike hire? Because YOU didn't pick it up so quick?

No, its not uncommon, and some schools, if you don't complete in the day, expect a full repeat course-fee for another day. You are, less the £20 DSA cert cost, using exactly the same resources of the business, whether you complete or not.

Some schools, will offer 'one fee - train till you pass', but look at the numbers again; to account for students that do require extra, they are either gong to have to charge a lot more to start with, or they will have to cut corners elsewhere, or start adding more pernicious 'hidden charges'.

So, no, its not unusual to be charged extra for extra training, and a mere extra £30, if that include a morning's bike hire? Well, that barely covers the cost of the bike hire! If not, it's still barely minimum wage for the blokes time to train you, so hardly 'unreasonable', let alone extortion!

Who mentioned extortion ? Just looking for transparency for people using the service.....

Crazy eh.

DiggerHD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:55 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Quote:

Marauder125cc wrote:
I had read the laminated T&C I was aware of an extra £30 they would require

Where does "hidden" come in to all this?

once through the door and booked there is an additional cost NOT made public on the site... That's hidden cansa

DiggerHD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:58 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Most places around our area charge for an extra few hours at another day if you do not make the grade. As far as I know our school is the only one in the local area that offers an extra few hours another day free. If you do not get the standard by then you have to pay.

Lets look at the costs. A CBT with us will set you back £110 and the day starts at 9am and normally gets finished around 3-4pm so between 6 and 7 hours. Much like Teffers has said, those certificate books are expensive. Bike hire, Insurance, Overheads. instructor fee etc.

Now, compare your £110 to a 6 hour driving lesson. Most places are charging an average of £25 per hour. So theres £150 right away. So the actual cost of a CBT is relative if not cheaper than driving lessons.

We are upfront about the days training and explain they may not get the required standard in one day and if they do have to come back they will get a few hours extra at no charge but anything after that is extra.

The only other expense we have is an insurance excess which is signed at the start. As far as I know most places are the same. You agree to cover the excess if there is an accident which is your fault or replacement parts up to the value of the excess.

I was £130 first day floyd

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:27 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

Marauder125cc wrote:
once through the door and booked there is an additional cost NOT made public on the site... That's hidden cansa

If you weren't happy with the T&Cs that you read before you started the CBT course, why did you continue?

I can't see any T&Cs on the website at all, or the mention of any costs for a CBT course.

TBH, this is just a bawwwwwwwwwwww thread because you are too shit to get a CBT in one day.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
TBH, this is just a bawwwwwwwwwwww thread because you are too shit to get a CBT in one day.

Insightful and abusive. Thumbs Up
DiggerHD This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
CaNsA This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
DiggerHD This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:48 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

in b4 f&fw
Tamsin This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of bike schools with hidden charges/extra t Reply with quote

Marauder125cc wrote:

thus you sir ....are a joker .

You're still riding a homosex bike though.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2