Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best bike for £200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

pooley_99
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Best bike for £200 Reply with quote

So I'm buying the mrs a mountain bike for her bday,.. Don't need no 2 grand carbon fibre job, just something to fanny round Cannock chase on. There's a Mongoose one in halfrauds for 200 notes.. I recognise the brand from my bmx days, that's about as far as my cycle knowledge goes. Appreciate any suggestions.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

£200 new will basically just get you a BSO.

It will be pretty awful for just about everything.

I'd suggest having a look at what's available second hand for the same money.

Also, have a look here:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mountain-bikes?f=2258&sort=pricelow

Some decent savings on new bikes, if you can find one in the right frame size.
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:41 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look around for a local recycle (that has to be a pun) centre that does up old bikes for charity. Might be able to get something suitable for very little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, don't bother with new at that price, you'll get an overweight under damped girder of a bike that won't be remotely enjoyable to ride.

Keep an eye on local used bikes, Facebook groups and such and be patient. Check bearings and use rusty bolts as haggling fodder. Be truthful with yourself about the offroading aspect, if it's just going to stick to roads and cycle paths then a hybrid will be a much better option.

pooley_99
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:06 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some valid points there thanks. What would this have cost new? https://greenvalleycycles.co.uk/?product=carrera-crossfire-hybrid-bike also are they any good?

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really basic fork, no adjustability and likely very little damping. Replace that with a proper suspension fork or even a rigid road fork and you're talking. That'll be far better than any full sus job you are going to find at this price point regardless.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 25 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooley_99 wrote:
Some valid points there thanks. What would this have cost new? https://greenvalleycycles.co.uk/?product=carrera-crossfire-hybrid-bike also are they any good?

If it's the crossfire 1 they are £279 new at the moment, the 2 and 3 are more expensive but I don't know what the differences are.
What about this https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/carrera-axle-limited-edition-mens-27-5-hybrid-bike-2015
basic but carrera are generally one of the better budget bikes and anything with suspension and disc brakes at £200 ish is going to be rubbish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Bandit Boy This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pooley_99
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:49 - 04 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up going for a carrera vengeance from halfrauds as they had 10% off all bikes. So ended up a bit over budget but got a decent bike for £300. Has disk brakes and suspension more than enough for what she needs. Looks smart too. Got bike envy now !!

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 04 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Boy wrote:

Bollocks will it.

A £200 bike is MORE than sufficient for pottering around. I have just topped 10,000 joyful miles on my £160 hybrid.

The idea that you have to spend more is bollocks pr from the bike industry.

A bike is a bike. If it has wheels and gears, you're all set. Even above, your man is talking about adjusting suspension. WHATTTT? Who cares? No one cared about this 5 years ago - suddenly you're to believe it's all so important, even though 10 years ago it was a luxury, not a fucking necessity.

Quoted again because it's bang on. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1