Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Pennines/Lakes, ideas wanted.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: The Pennines/Lakes, ideas wanted. Reply with quote

So Old Peppers has decided to blight the Pennines and the Lake District next year as his min-tour.
I`m thinking of going late June .
One idea was to base myself at Polley Bridge just outside Penrith for a few days and use that as a spring-board for visiting other places.

Who has been there and where do the mighty BCF recommend in and around the Lakes and the Pennines?

Thanks Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penrith sounds a good area to base yourself, as you have the Lakes on the west side, Yorkshire Dales and Moors on the east. A little further north and you'll be within range of the Southern Uplands too.

Better scenery in the Lakes, better roads in Yorkshire.

This might be of some help:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=293134
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: The Pennines/Lakes, ideas wanted. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
...in and around the Lakes and the Pennines?...

On the trip to/from then Hawes might be worth a look. I mention as nearby there's the Beggermans Road (south of Hawes) and the Buttertubs pass (North of Hawes, road to Thwaite, as seen on many a TopGear). You could also run up to Tann Inn, still the highest pub in England if you want to tick that off a to-do list as well.

Last time I was in the Lakes it was too busy with tourist traffic to enjoy. I need to go back and tick off I've done Hardknott Pass on the bike thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Penrith sounds a good area to base yourself, as you have the Lakes on the west side, Yorkshire Dales and Moors on the east. A little further north and you'll be within range of the Southern Uplands too.

Better scenery in the Lakes, better roads in Yorkshire.

This might be of some help:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=293134

Very useful Write up Thumbs Up

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roads around the Lakes are always busy, it gets absolutely packed during peak times, the Chinese love it there also. Usually you spent the day overtaking everything, still fun though. Don't forget Hartside Pass, Penrith is right next to it. Best biking roads in the country Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Don't forget Hartside Pass, Penrith is right next to it. Best biking roads in the country Thumbs Up

Tut Tut Now, now boyo, you're forgetting somewhere, isn't it? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 18 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dales are mint but I'm baised towards Cumbria because I actually know where I'm going, I need a tour guide for the Dales Laughing I did have one but he got his missus up the duff then sold all his bikes Mad Middle Finger

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 18 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penrith is a right dump. It's only redeeming features are that it is near the lake district, and not as bad as Kendal.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Penrith is a right dump. It's only redeeming features are that it is near the lake district, and not as bad as Kendal.

????? Seemed alright to me ? but then again I was only there in passing.
I am liking Polley Bridge. Thumbs Up

I could think of places that are a lot worse than Penrith where there are no nice roads or countryside, you wouldn't want to use Hammersmith as your base for touring Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I am liking Polley Bridge. Thumbs Up

nice campsite.. four pubs just over a mile away .. locals do their shoppin @ morrisons in penrith.

pepperami wrote:

The Dales are mint but

class on a V twin Mr. Green

Last edited by Copycat73 on 19:12 - 19 Nov 2014; edited 1 time in total

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
but he got his missus up the duff then sold all his bikes Mad Middle Finger

not an uncommon story to reach me ears.. Neutral

usually accompanied by a in debt sorry saga aswell ....

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of them are properly loaded so there was no excuse (other than the fact he rides like a madman but still), he sold his bike for a stupidly low price as well, then the kid who bought it made 1.5k profit the next week, must be nice, I'm not bitter or anything Mr. Green

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakes are rubbish on a motorbike. Too many people. I live 20 minutes from Keswick and the only reason I go into the lakes is if I want to do some canoeing or buy some outdoors gear.

If you've got as far as the lakes, you can go to Northumbria, the Scottish Borders or Dumfries and Galloway and have a great time.

The only piece of road in the Lakes I ever have any fun on my motorbike on is the short bit of dual carriageway heading south on the A591 between Keswick and Grassmere where they left the ld road for the Southbound bit and built a new bit of dual for the Northbound. It's twisty as hell and feels all kinds of wrong honking round blind corners in the right hand lane.

The other thing would be to go out really, really early.

Volume of traffic and high incidence of elderly ditherers, tourists and buses makes riding in the Lakes frustrating even on my Enfield.

EDIT: Suggestion. Hexam is pretty scenic and would put you in striking distance of some cracking roads.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Lakes are rubbish on a motorbike. Too many people. I live 20 minutes from Keswick and the only reason I go into the lakes is if I want to do some canoeing or buy some outdoors gear.

If you've got as far as the lakes, you can go to Northumbria, the Scottish Borders or Dumfries and Galloway and have a great time.

The only piece of road in the Lakes I ever have any fun on my motorbike on is the short bit of dual carriageway heading south on the A591 between Keswick and Grassmere where they left the ld road for the Southbound bit and built a new bit of dual for the Northbound. It's twisty as hell and feels all kinds of wrong honking round blind corners in the right hand lane.

The other thing would be to go out really, really early.

Volume of traffic and high incidence of elderly ditherers, tourists and buses makes riding in the Lakes frustrating even on my Enfield.

EDIT: Suggestion. Hexam is pretty scenic and would put you in striking distance of some cracking roads.

Good advice, but the Lakes can still be good if you avoid the honeypots like Windermere and Keswick - and try to avoid weekends and peak summer season.
The reason so many people go in huge numbers is because the scenery is stunning and known worldwide.
It's one of those places which is worth the downsides.

It's an exciting ride going over the two passes to Eskdale, and Wastwater is still quite remote and rarely busy.
Even Coniston you can take the alternative minor road on the east bank and it's a different world to the sillyness on the main road.

Meanwhile The Borders, North Pennines and Northumberland are practically deserted most of the time by UK holiday spot standards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakes.. over there regular .. 2 hours ish to Keswick.. only bank holidays are to be avoided.. otherwise not had a problem, lots of roads to ride... ...Hexham is a tourist town gone rampant wit the chav. drinkers to watch for ...expensive too..

Northumbria, the Scottish Borders or Dumfries and Galloway , would require a holiday in each to do them justice.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my trip this year in the midst of the school holidays and the only proper traffic jam I got stuck in was on the way down to Windermere from Ambleside. Windermere is to be avoided if possible - designed to attract tourists like jam is to wasps anyway.

Got slowed by a couple of cars on the high passes, but you won't want to be hacking it along those roads anyway - just take in the scenery (whilst being careful not to ride off the edge!). But wasn't at all busy.

Had some great evening rides, especially in the Dales, but Lakes too.

Don't be put off by the nay-sayers, you'll love it. They don't know what traffic is up there! Razz

nerald
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:31 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel is right. Lakes are rubbish on a bike. But can be enjoyable on a slower bike. Look up the Fred Whitton cycle challenge for a nice scenic route. Best done on a slower bike. Perfect for a C90.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: The Roads and 6 Passes of Cumbria and the Lake District Reply with quote

The Roads and 6 Passes of Cumbria and the Lake District
https://www.visitcumbria.com/roads/
this site is more focused on usin motorised transport

I`ve got some sat-nav files if any interest.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerald wrote:
Stinkwheel is right. Lakes are rubbish on a bike. But can be enjoyable on a slower bike. Look up the Fred Whitton cycle challenge for a nice scenic route. Best done on a slower bike. Perfect for a C90.

Please define "rubbish" in the context in which you have used it?

Edit: Ah, I get it. Lakes are rubbish on a bike cos they tend to sink? Thinking

Edit 2. You're doing it wrong Smile

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Please define "rubbish" in the context in which you have used it?

its the usual negativity one gets from locals livin near too, but outside of the national parks confirmation order.. they have to suffer the tourists but see little of the financial benefits in their area which suffers from a disproportionately:to the north of England: high level of unemployment.....
sour grapes really.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:42 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the South Pennines, so the Dales, Lakes and North Pennines are my weekend playground.

The roads which many sports bike riders think are rubbish or too bumpy can be brilliant fun on the right bike - my R1200GS LC is brilliant on the tiny goat tracks and also fun on the faster roads.

I love the Kirkstone Pass (subject to traffic) and the Hardknott, Wrynose and Honister passes are simply stunning Cool

The main roads around Windermere and Conistone should be avoided like the plague though.

The best riding route is Penrith - Hartside - Hexham - Middleton-in-Teesdale - Brough - Kirkby Stephen - Sedburgh - Hawes - Ribblehead Viaduct - Settle

My favourite base would be Reeth - plenty of pubs and B&B's and in absolutely stunning countryside

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

The best riding route is Penrith - Hartside - Hexham - Middleton-in-Teesdale - Brough - Kirkby Stephen - Sedburgh - Hawes - Ribblehead Viaduct - Settle

Hmm ? .. doesn`t quite flow to me .. Thinking

https://goo.gl/maps/kvDD6

my take on it Thumbs Up

https://goo.gl/maps/Ynh2X

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Settle to Hawes bit I can definitely vouch for, brilliant bit of road, but look out for the jump shortly before Hawes; I hit it totally unsuspecting. Bike left the ground at speed; Fuuuuuu....! Neat landing fortunately, and left me with a manic grin on my face. That was fun! Got to Hawes and got chatting to a fella there and he said, yeah, watch out for the jump on that road mate.....er, ok, cheers Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like riding around in the Lake district.
Here's a video of me slowly bumbling over Hardknott Pass this October

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDL15je3Vc

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:40 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Well, the Settle to Hawes bit I can definitely vouch for, brilliant bit of road, but look out for the jump shortly before Hawes; I hit it totally unsuspecting. Bike left the ground at speed; Fuuuuuu....! Neat landing fortunately, and left me with a manic grin on my face. That was fun! Got to Hawes and got chatting to a fella there and he said, yeah, watch out for the jump on that road mate.....er, ok, cheers Laughing

I'd just had a bit of fun stuffing a couple of hard ridden 600's through the twisties on my old VFR800 when I completely forgot about that dip and hit it so hard at speed that the impact cut out the safety switch on the fuel pump and I ended up spread eagled across the tank as I'd also lost my grip on the bars and my feet came off the pegs Embarassed

How I stayed on I'll never know Smile Luckily I was far enough ahead for them not to see it, so I just pretended I'd parked up as they came past....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2