Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Track day or superbike school?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

GaZ
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Track day or superbike school? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on doing a couple of track days next year but as I've never ridden on a track before I was wondering whether I would be better off doing one of the superbike schools first to get a bit of tuition under my belt.

If you jumped straight on to a track day how did you get on?

I know this has more than likely been asked before but I couldn't find what I was after when I did a search.

Cheers

GaZ

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a superbike school is worth doing if you can afford to. It should help teach you the basics and then you can practice rather than just trying your own thing so to speak.

I'm not big into my trackdays but did the california bike school which was £400 so not cheap but did help me with my corner speed.

Not done any trackdays for a couple years now cos I'm skint Crying or Very sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:26 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: Track day or superbike school? Reply with quote

GaZ wrote:
If you jumped straight on to a track day how did you get on?

Perfectly fine.

Start off cautious and work your way up over the day.

You'll learn the track, get comfy, see others riding, pick up pointers as to where you can rag it, brake late etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: Track day or superbike school? Reply with quote

I would definitely start on trackdays.

When you've got the feel of track riding and idea of what needs improving, then consider a school if you're no longer improving.

I wouldn't be paying £400 to be just getting the feel of riding on track, making it harder to focus on other aspects and so on.

Most trackdays offer free tuition too.

Definitely make sure you start slowly and speed up a little at a time.

GaZ
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:24 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys. I'm not the quickest on the road (I tend to be more conscious of impending doom than my mates) so was just a bit worried about being out of my depth even in the beginner group.

On a side note, has anyone had any difficulty with the noise restrictions at Castle Combe?

Cheers

GaZ

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:31 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard bikes don't pass at CC... I think anything with as strict a rules as them cannot be fun.

However, my first track day videos are here, this is my first real time on track and to be honest, it just gets better from there on Very Happy

First ride out of day, SV650 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXlodTEJ7R8&list=UU57wl8TxR3-uJU2dEi0rpRw

First ride on Daytona 675 after lunch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZn4nT3TB7o&list=UU57wl8TxR3-uJU2dEi0rpRw

2nd to last time out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shFayNw_iw&list=UU57wl8TxR3-uJU2dEi0rpRw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start on a track day, get down early and try to grab an instructor to follow you for a bit and give you some tips and pointers.

Race school is for people who want to, or do, race. If you've got the money and want to spend it on getting better, theres nothing wrong with that.

But a track day isn't a race. You don't have to be the fastest to enjoy it, unlike racing, there is no incentive to be the quickest on a track day. And no matter what you're on or how good you are, chances are you won't be the quickest and you won't be the slowest.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:23 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama-Farmer wrote:

Race school is for people who want to, or do, race. If you've got the money and want to spend it on getting better, theres nothing wrong with that.

Most of them aren't.

From what I've seen, most of the companies selling themselves as 'race' schools focus on track riding and hardly touch on racing specific skills - ie block passing and so on, which you should generally be trying to avoid on a trackday.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:57 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get more out of a race school if you've been on track first, and most trackdays offer free tuition which is very good for beginners anyway.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 24 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Standard bikes don't pass at CC... I think anything with as strict a rules as them cannot be fun.

Some standard bikes don't. There's a list on their site. Have a look. If yours is one then go elsewhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1