BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triton 650 cafe racer build.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no such thing as a subframe on a featherbed as there all one piece, some of the early manx frames did but not the road going ones.

slimlines frame rails narrow towards the back, wide lines don't, most people say a slimline is better for the road (and I agree)

I have however just bought another project that is a wide line, may be another build thread on the way!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be wrong of me or an offence worthy of death row, to really like the idea of putting either a Kawasaki 650 twin engine or a Z750 twin engine into a Norton Featherbed frame?

I like the idea of having a 1960's looking parallel twin, that says made in japan on the timing covers! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Would it be wrong of me or an offence worthy of death row, to really like the idea of putting either a Kawasaki 650 twin engine or a Z750 twin engine into a Norton Featherbed frame?

I like the idea of having a 1960's looking parallel twin, that says made in japan on the timing covers! Laughing

I like syplistic classics but I'm not a purist, I'm all for something different, what you need to Google is featherbeds with XS 650 motors... They suit the bike, and they sound lovely on noisy pipes!

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:43 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveh wrote:
Theres no such thing as a subframe on a featherbed as there all one piece, some of the early manx frames did but not the road going ones.

It's not one piece. the Widleline has welded-on straight tubes to hold the seat and the shock top mounts. The Slimline has welded-on curved tubes. You don't have to call it a subframe if you don't want to.

The subframe was bolted onto early Featherbed Dominators too.

Quote:
slimlines frame rails narrow towards the back, wide lines don't, most people say a slimline is better for the road (and I agree)

Most people despise Slimlines, but I don't really agree.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:45 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I have seen a Kawasaki two stroke triple engine in a Norton.

Most Jap engines look a bit short, in the vast space of a Featherbed.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
steveh wrote:

It's not one piece. the Widleline has welded-on straight tubes to hold the seat and the shock top mounts. The Slimline has welded-on curved tubes. You don't have to call it a subframe if you don't want to.

The subframe was bolted onto early Featherbed Dominators too.

Quote:

Most people despise Slimlines, but I don't really agree.

My apologies, in my mind if its welded on, it isnt a removable subframe/section (in the manner of nuts and bolts) but i suppose anything is removable with an angle grinder Very Happy
If you wanted a manx look-alike widline, just buy a wideline? why butcher two frames when the first one suits the job, you'd have to modify the whole top frame rails in order to kick out the rear to make it wider.
The likes of Dave Degans made his own frames, from T45 tube i think, as apose to what standard frames that were made of (reynolds 531)

I suppose it all depends on who you speak too, and what the bikes used for, all ive ever heard is that widelines arent nice on the legs for road use but are great for racing purposes, but its all down to personal prefference i suppose!

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:37 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Degens did and does many different things.

One thing he did a few times, as I said, was to alter the rear ends of Slimline frames to look like Widelines, so his Tritons would have a bit of a Manx Norton look. This did not involve making the main tube spacing wider. As you may just be able to see in the photo of a Dresda Triton on the previous page.

Roadgoing Norton Featherbed frames, both Wideline and Slimline, were made from mild steel tube.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bottom line is there is no right or wrong with whatever you choose to do with a Triton. The whole essence of Tritons for me is the fact you can build them to whatever you like not to what others think they should be like.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 24 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat spot wrote:
I think the bottom line is there is no right or wrong with whatever you choose to do with a Triton. The whole essence of Tritons for me is the fact you can build them to whatever you like not to what others think they should be like.

Exactly.. there one of the few bikes that you can build however you want, and no one can tell you you've done it wrong Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3