Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 25 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've still got a thing for a decent bit of rendering and as such I've just downloaded How to train your dragon 2

Animation and rendering I give it a solid 10/10, story 6/10 but having a couple of main characters dying 9/10 for showing that not all movies are perfect fairy tales.

Overall I'd say 9/10 (being a big kid at heart)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Vegas

Mawkish but quite enjoyable spin on "The Hangover" with 4 OAP lead characters on a batchelor party trip to Vegas. Great cast do their best with a thin plot and manage to make an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes.

7/10

Lone Survivor

Based on a true story, "Lone Survivor" is the tale of a failed Navy Seal operation in Afghanistan. Some realistic bullet catching from the Americans (i.e. not flying backwards and, in fact, barely noticing when they've been hit - as it should be) which is slightly ruined by the Taliban getting knocked off their feet with almost every shot. However, it's a big step in the right direction for gunshot realism. The Taliban are murdering butchers (naturally), the non-Taliban Afghans are heroes (actual heroes with only scant condescention from the film-makers) and the American Seals are portrayed as more human and error-prone than you would expect. Obviously they're heroes too, and the final montage drives home both their humanity and their heroism but even I, the most cynical person I know, was able to watch it without scoffing at every scene.

Give it a go, you'll probably enjoy it.

8/10

Edited cos I got the title wrong, ffs.

Last edited by Nexus Icon on 23:03 - 26 Nov 2014; edited 1 time in total

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:47 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
...Sole Survivor...Give it a go, you'll probably enjoy it...

I'm always wary where the title sort of gives away the plot and ending Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
...Sole Survivor...Give it a go, you'll probably enjoy it...

I'm always wary where the title sort of gives away the plot and ending Very Happy

Without wishing to come over all X Factor, this film is about the journey, not the destination.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:54 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Last Vegas

Mawkish but quite enjoyable spin on "The Hangover" with 4 OAP lead characters on a batchelor party trip to Vegas. Great cast do their best with a thin plot and manage to make an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes.

7/10

I scored it lower than you but agree with your observations. I'd like to see that cast with some better material - they're old pros with excellent chemistry (even comes across when doing interviews) and deserve another shot at it. And I don't mean Last Vegas 2, I'd want something totally different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fury - 8.5/10
Bit like a tank-focused version of saving private ryan/band of brothers, which kept it fairly interesting and different.

Little bit over the top in one section particularly but otherwise fairly believable. Pretty realistic and grim in parts too. Definately worth a watch if you like war films Thumbs Up

Which reminds me of another not so great tank film I saw recently.

Saints and Soldiers 3, The Void - 4/10
Lowish budget like the first two, although a pretty terrible script and even worse actors made it a lot less watchable Thumbs Down

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

(new) hunger games

Jennifer Lawrence is quite tidy, so that's a good enough reason to watch it, but the film itself was a bit pants...

kinda of dragged on without much happening

Fury

deffo worth a watch, especially like the head being taken off

looks pretty realistic, except the "escape" bit (dont want to spoil it)

Lone Survivor

dog turds - dont bother

'merican soldier who is basically unkillable

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
(new) hunger games

Jennifer Lawrence is quite tidy, so that's a good enough reason to watch it, but the film itself was a bit pants...

kinda of dragged on without much happening

I agree, it dragged like hell, no real action and very much a filler until the next part. I was disappointed although Liam Hemsworth being slightly broody was a highlight for me.... Jennifer Lawrence spent a lot of the film looking sad, angry or some mixture of the two.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy. 7/10

Great fun time waster with lots of laughs. OK it was more cheesier than a cheesy thing at times but it done exactly what it said on the tin. 2 hours of entertainment, great effects and action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

Lone Survivor

dog turds - dont bother

True story though, so what happened, happened.

2001: A Space Odyssey - 6/10. Pretty rubbish actually. Never seen it before, loved the cinematography and music, but it was slow, boring and stupid. For 1968 though, very impressive.

Blade Runner - 8/10. Visually very impressive and ahead of its time, set the precedent for much of the science fiction films afterwards.

Alien - 9/10. Say no more.

Assembly - 7/10. Film about the Chinese civil war. Not many people are even aware of the war that Chinese had brewing during WW2 and afterwards and how the outcome greatly affects what China is today.

22 Jump Street - 6/10. Low brow, American comedy rubbish. Made me laugh a bit, so did its job.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey - 6/10. Pretty rubbish actually. Never seen it before, loved the cinematography and music, but it was slow, boring and stupid. For 1968 though, very impressive.

That is the issue with this movie. The date. At the time, ground breaking, fantastic sci fi and terrifying. Dealing with the machine reaching a point where it develops its own consciousness andthe rest of the crew. It touches on creation, evolution. That said, the ending is still all fucked up for me.

These days, with the dawn of CGI and the full on action movies we get with that, it has gone from being atmospheric to boring because for long swathes of the movie bugger all happens. Instead of building tension of Dave's isolation with Hal you just get bored and switch off.

Shame, because it is an outstanding movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:24 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

Lone Survivor

dog turds - dont bother

True story though, so what happened, happened.

Based on a true story. Which I bet was just there names.

Lone Survivor - 5.5 not the worst SF movie to watch.

Going to watch The Patrol soon and see how that goes.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:54 - 30 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, time for some short stop reviews. Seen these in the cinema, just hadn't got round to sparing a few words.

Guardians Of The Galaxy - 8/10

A film that doesn't even know the meaning of taking itself seriously. If there's a joke that could work they throw it in. To me this follows pretty closely in the vein of Avengers - yes there's a fair whack of CGI, yes there's some pretty decent drama and acting but it's just colourful fun. Massive fan of Chris Pratt's work here - such a goofy lead and pulls it off well. Saw it twice at the cinema and once after it hit BluRay and still would watch it again.

The Imitation Game - 9/10

Not one but two new movies getting a 9 from me this year, pretty rare. It's an involving story, has a great supporting cast, studies the grim logistics of war without getting too saccharine or maudlin. I don't know how many details were changed for the purposes of dramatic effect but I feel I learned a few things about the Enigma that I didn't already know from a documentary I saw a few years ago. But really this movie is all about Benedict Cumberbatch's masterful performance as the troubled but talented Alan Turing - looks like full method, I think he might have become Turing because it doesn't even look like acting at all, kinda reminds me of Patrick Stewart - it's someone who is a ringer for Benedict but is in fact someone different. That's the work of a top flight thespian, not a common or garden actor. He has great chemistry with Keira Knightley, whose character doesn't receive as much development but makes the most of it anyway - the final scene where he talks about how intelligent "Christopher" has become and talks about the loneliness of being human is heartbreaking.

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie - 5/10

In my defense I was dragged to see this earlier in the year and remembered when there was an ad for the DVD release. It's alright, not something I'd want to see again. The whole plot is an asspull - not once in the TV show is there anything about market stalls and by the end of it it's all about references to other, better works and what little plot there was is basically forgotten about. As I remember it the TV show is better, even though it's very 70s in style. I will say it's charming and inoffensive and probably something you'll be made to sit through by at least one of the family get-togethers around Christmas, but not mind too much.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

end of watch (3/10)

watched it last night on film 4

could of been a cracking film except it was filmed in first person mode

cue lots of jumpy cameras and out of focus shots

gave me a headache watching it

would of been a 8 if it was filmed properly as a film not a fake documentary

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:00 - 04 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patrol - 4/10

This could of been a good film, if they got rid of the script.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 05 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maze Runner: 6/10

There seems to be a swathe of these teenager/young adult fantasy books being made into movies, Divergent, Hunger Games and now Maze Runner has joined them.

So how was it? I found it a little hard to watch. At times it was fantastic, at times it was terrible. Acting and cinematography both suffered at times. Storyline was OK but that was about all I could say about it. The end was Meh and a little confusing but left it with no illusions that there will be a sequel and that will explain everything a little more.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:32 - 05 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new hunger games one.

6.5/10

Having read the books, I understand why they split the last one into two (MONEY), but as is always the case the first half is the build up to a finale. A bit slow, and a bit emo but an interesting way to explain what propaganda is to my 11 year old.

Monuments Men

7.5/10

I tried to read the book, honest I did, but it was a bit of a grind (and not the good kind). The film was good and kept more information in than I thought that it would. Bill Murray is a legend, and Clooney plays it sort of low key. I really enjoyed it and as a result I'm having a war film night at some point this week (I have got the HD version of Saving Private Ryan and Fury to watch. Cant wait).

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predestination - 8/10

I loved this film, utterly brilliant time travel movie which is not the usual kind of thing. As you start to piece things together towards the end, you're blown away by it when it happens.

Guardians Of The Galaxy - 7/10

Not really a fan of Chris Pratt but it was a good film to sit back and watch. Reminded me of John Carter a bit.

Gone Girl - 7/10

I was expecting great things with it being David Fincher and it was great, except some glaring holes in it and un-believable parts. I won't spoil any of it but towards the end, what the fuck, the last 30 minutes un-ravelled for me.

The Equalizer - 7/10

I knew I would like this, Denzel, ex-cia type dude with a special skill set, etc. Was very much like Man On Fire with some of the killing but nowhere near as good as that film.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I enjoyed Essex Boys and Rise of the Footsoldier, both solid 7/10.

So I gave Bonded By Blood a go. Terrible. 4/10

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 13 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns - 9/10

Very well put together. Thumbs Up

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:24 - 16 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the cinema yesterday. Once with the Mrs and watched:

Horrible Bosses 2: 6/10

Not as good as the first, but ok.

then took the little one to the cinema and watched:

St Vincent: 7/10

Dry comedy with Bill Murray. Not funny all the way through, but a decent film. Worth a view.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1 Jay wrote:
Predestination - 8/10

I loved this film, utterly brilliant time travel movie which is not the usual kind of thing. As you start to piece things together towards the end, you're blown away by it when it happens.

Thought someone had done a review on this one. Anyway I watched it last night

Have to agree with the score, although I found it a bit of a slog to begin with as I thought it was just going to be a whole movie of 'listen to my tale of woe'..... but turned out to be a decent film. Mind you the ending is still enough to scramble the brain if you try to think about it too much

A few more that I've seen recently (thanks XBMC Thumbs Up)

A million ways to die in the west 8/10
If I stay 7/10
The Boxtrolls 8/10
The Monument Men 5/10

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:07 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get on up James Brown biopic. Above average as musical biopic's go. Not as good as 'Ray' but better than others I've seen. 6/10

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Started watching this on the plane back from the US. Switched it off half way through. Is Megan Fox THE most annoying real person in the world excepting Shia LeBoeuf? Despite that, they might actually be exceeded by CGI turtles! No wonder the Transformers movies were so awful. 0/10

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For Nowhere near as good as the original. No original ideas, lots of product placement I didn't notice in the first one and there wasn't really a satisfying story as such. It felt like a pastiche of the original if I'm honest. One redeeming feature is Eva Green naked. 2/10. I'd give the first one 8/10 by way of comparison.

Jersey Boys I started watching this on the plane and was not expecting much. My Dad quite likes Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, so I knew some of the music. What surprised me is that it became quite engrossing, and actually very enjoyable. There is a definite story with ups and downs, a start a middle, a climax and a pretty uplifting ending (which you don't always get from biopics - They really tried hard with Get On Up but did not *quite* pull it off). Actually a very good movie, and I really liked the way the characters broke the fourth wall to become their own narrators occasionally. It worked well. 8/10
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 52 of 194