Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tips and hints?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barton316
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Tips and hints? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I plan on going abroad with my dad (an experienced rider) and his friends (experience riders). We plan to go from Leicester, to Hull, ferry to the netherlands and then down to Switzerland and back. This isn't planned until July but I would like to plan for anything I may need to buy etc.

I'm currently riding an sv650s. Are there any general tips and hints you guys would give to someone touring abroad for the first time? I plan to do some runs around the UK when it gets spring time.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

An obvious source for information would be your Dad and his mates.
Dont forget to drive on the right, take your passport, EU medical card, Euros and make sure the bike is up to it. Pack half as much as you think you need.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:55 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.old-gits.org/checklist.htm

The above should be useful.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tyres are more than half worn change them Thumbs Up

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tyres are more than half worn change them Thumbs Up

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't carry too much shit

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take photocopies of all your documents and store them separately from the originals (which you have to take). Passport, V5, insurance docs etc. And/or scan/photograph them and save on your phone.

Don't forget your EHIC... you hopefully won't need it but worth having in case you do.

Let your credit/debit card issuers know you are going away. Nothing worse than having your card blocked as a fraud prevention measure when you most need it.

If you're doing it by the book you'll need a GB sticker on the bike and a headlight beam blocker. I got a new number plate made up with the GB on it but didn't bother with the headlight.

Spare bulbs can be useful. I had my dipped beam go in Germany... luckily a nearby fuel station had a replacement (and was open). In Germany (and likely other countries too, so check) you HAVE to have the headlight on all the time.

If you're not familiar with your luggage, have a go at attaching it and riding with it. You don't want the first time you find it flaps, wobbles or obscures your view to be the day you leave and need to keep up with your riding mates.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

If you're not familiar with your luggage, have a go at attaching it and riding with it. You don't want the first time you find it flaps, wobbles or obscures your view to be the day you leave and need to keep up with your riding mates.

This ^ this this this this this this this a thousand times this ^

Take string and some cable ties, they WILL come in handy Thumbs Up

andyff7329
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:36 - 02 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say to pick the brains of your father and friends, however are you camping or staying in overnight accommodation? This will dictate how much stuff you need to take. If you are not camping then I would try to take as little as possible i.e. a tank bag for valuables and maps plus a 50 ltr rollbag or top box on the back for your clothes etc. If you are camping I can take all my camping stuff, clothes, cooking gear and valuables in a tank bag, roll bag and top box and thats enough for two weeks. Finally, have you considered going to Switzerland via the Vosges mountains in France? Brilliant roads and also a good warm up for the Alps.
My 21 year old son now has 3 trips up already to France/Belgium on his SV650S and finds it a very capable bike with excellent fuel consumption and reliability.
Have a great trip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1