Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Storing my bike in the living room/indoors - questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Loruss
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:03 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Storing my bike in the living room/indoors - questions Reply with quote

So I have just moved my motorcycle into my living room as I'm leaving for the holidays and though it would be safer to leave it there then have it left outside chained to a tree.

So I have some questions regarding that and was hoping you guys could help.

1. I can smell the fuel vapor, is that normal ? It's a honda cbf 125 btw.

2. Should I fill up the tank or drain it considering it is indoors ?

The house will be left empty for quite some time so I don't want the living room smelling of fuel when I come back (don't think it would be safe either). Another option would be to ask my neighbor to store it in his garage, but I'm not sure which option would be safer (fuel vapors/ getting it nicked).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol smell is normal, make sure the tap is OFF (ON if it's a vacuum one), then you can empty the tank and put a plug into the exhaust to get rid of the source of the smell.

I wouldn't let it stand with full tank of petrol, since you've got to breath around it. Thumbs Up

EDIT: I was retarded when I thought, it was obvious to empty the carbs when you empty the tank. But still, I would not have 10-15 L of petrol sitting in my house. Thumbs Up

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 18:47 - 20 Dec 2014; edited 1 time in total
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:37 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what the morons are suggesting, it's fuel evaporating out of the carbs through the air filter, not the exhaust or the tank.

Turn off the fuel, drain the carb(s)

Loruss
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:41 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I were to store it at my neighbors garage ? Would I have to drain the fuel tank anyways ? (Also I just looked into the tank with a flashlight and it looks empty). I rather not have to drain the fuel - don't have any of the necessary items to do it ;/

@Nobby the Bastard
It's a honda cbf 125 2012 it doesn't have a carb.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is not so important. Varnish from evaporating fuel would actually make the tank less likely to rust.

You don't want this shit in your carbs (or FI system) though.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you turn the heating off I doubt you will get much of a petrol stink.

Top the tank off rather than empty it.

Loruss
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:49 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only going to be leaving the bike in the living room or neighbors garage for 2-3 weeks max. (Should have probably mentioned that in the first place). Is there anything that is absolutely essential that I should do when leaving it in the living room or garage ?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loruss wrote:
I'm only going to be leaving the bike in the living room or neighbors garage for 2-3 weeks max. (Should have probably mentioned that in the first place). Is there anything that is absolutely essential that I should do when leaving it in the living room or garage ?

completely fill the fuel tank.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave my bikes for 2 or 3 weeks in my garage without being ridden regularly.

for only a few weeks, you don't need to do anything at all
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
it's fuel evaporating out of the carbs through the air filter,

Through the needle jet that's got a big fat needle shoved down it maybe ? Laughing

No, through the idle jet.

After all, this is what it's supposed to do, evaporate fuel out into the air in the carb when there's little air movement....

Ask Fisty how safe it is to keep a bike in the living room. That's where he keeps his TL.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:38 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if the floats are causing the fuel to leak, then draining the carb/FI system would mean no leaking fuel then?

So my original sggestion is valid?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Ask Fisty how safe it is to keep a bike in the living room. That's where he keeps his TL.

Been here 3 years now, never had a problem. Makes the house smell manly.

https://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/mr_fisty/IMG_1344_zps0a14cea8.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:48 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:

Well....fuel does evaporate from carbs. We know that when we find what's left in the bottom of the bowl. But it's the rate at which it evaporates. I think it takes a long time for a full bowl to evaporate. If you introduced a lighter near where the vapour is escaping, would it ignite? I think to be smelling, even inside, it must be more than escaping vapour from the pilot jet. Nein?

That doesn't answer the question.

Would draining the carb/FI system prevent prevent a smell of petrol as most of the potential leaks of petrol wouldn't happen?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:

That's a long time to take to drink a bottle of Bourbon Shocked

JD is not bourbon, noob.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:24 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:

Yes...of course. But OP can smell fuel NOW Police

Maybe he should drain the carb/FI then...

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

H&S Police tell you not to store petrol indoors, I have about 80 liters of Methanol and some Nitro in my house Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2