Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

12 Step Addiction Programs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do they work?
Absolutely, as long as you commit to the program for 3 - 6 months full time.
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Absolutely, just turn up occasionally.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It can work for some people.
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
It's a waste of time, work and get therapy.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
It's actually negative, because it makes you feel weak and powerless.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's actually negative, because it just forces you to become religious.
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
It's actually negative, because it makes you see all your behaviour as addictive.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
They wanted facebook nuked, any friend who every drank or did any drugs nuked, the lot. Seriously skew whiff.

Gosh, you did meet an especially evangelistic lot, didn't you Laughing Laughing

(they're not all like that, honest)

But the thing is that a lot of people who are addictive cannot differentiate between shades of grey. You are either drunk or sober, black or white, it's the only way they can operate: if people with addictive behaviour were able to moderate that behaviour, they wouldn't be at those places.

Unfortunately a considerable amount of the "giving-up" business (drink, drugs, food, gambling, whatever) is based on *completely* stopping the addictive behaviour.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
What do you do if you get addicted to 12 step programmes?

That's a very insightful question, actually.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:

Aye, I did think it was pot calling the kettle black when they told me that going out for a run to alleviate stress, or indeed going for a run because you overate that day, was massively unhealthy...

... that throwing yourself in to gold/yoga/foreign languages/work was a filthy cross addiction and you need to address the root cause (actually, I found this point interesting and my main take-home message from it).

... but spending 3-6 hours a week beating yourself up and listening to people witter about god and how much you/they fucked up for 20 years is perfectly acceptable.

Laying on with a trowel all the terrible stuff you did, and how much of a monster you were... for ever, as the solution to your life, is not a cross-addiction, that's doing Dr Bob's work.

Yeh, madness.

Luckily I went in there pretty strong, and have a low tolerance for bullshit, but they managed to spin me around fairly well while I was in there.

It's not a break-up, it's an ex-addiction.
It's not exercise, it's gym addiction.

"Our brains are wrong, we were born wrong, and we have to accept we aren't normal. We are addicts."

Confused

The blinding one, that I'm delighted they did because it was so pant-wettingly illogical that it woke me up from it a bit, was the "identifying your triggers to use".

Quite a few things are more fun with a drink or a smoke (3d cinemas, for instance), I ticked about half the page. Left about half blank, and thought that was pretty interesting, cheers for the insight.

I got told off for having too many I hadn't ticked, and they changed the goal posts to having any possible thoughts, temptations or previous use... Love addiction/sex counts, therefore do you ever think about sex when in the super market... Well, yeh, it depends who I see mate Confused

They had one set of three triggers to use.

Before sex
During sex
After sex

Simples. The alcoholics all point out they had no intention of drinking during sex, ever. The whole room agreed. And it was, in a very oily way, pointed out that if they have ever had sex drunk, that counts.

The whole room meekly agreed that that must make sense, and set about redoing it.

Confused

Like something out of animal farm.

Not to mention the gentle nudges towards god they did several times, even on the first time. Urgh, I feel unclean.

So, this SMART thing has meetings and online meetings, and isn't just about drinking and drugs. So anyone looking for addiction help, don't be discouraged by the thread, it's still out there.

https://www.smartrecovery.org.uk

But yeh, I did find they took the piss a bit there yesterday. Especially as I was blindsided when coming in for psychological concerns, not addiction, and they instantly told me "Yep, that is because addiction, 'innit"

Cart may possibly be going before the horse there, miladdy.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
they had no intention of drinking during sex, ever

What, not even from the furry cup?
Cunnilinguists Anonymous : way to go. Not.
Laughing

Edit: Its too early to spell that word properly Rolling Eyes

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:51 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I believe they are all very 'Gody' and a lot of it says using drug/booze/whatever is not your fault and blaming it on a higher power.

Personally I think that is bollocks you are responsible for your own actions.

I have no actual experience with them however so I maybe wrong.

Nothing makes a better believer/follower then someone whose life is a mess and they've hit rock bottom.

I think the godly side can be good if it helps and it may be better to be addicted to god, going church etc then drugs and it can help with a healthy social life and organisation even if it is all bollocks

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:13 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone define addiction.

I like sex and my wife depends on it Laughing so are we addicts?

I like food and I'm dependants on it Shocked am I an addict?

or is it just things that harm your body or pocket?

so what do you call a good addiction, like riding bikes or going to the gym?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:20 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:

I believe that's the intention, at least de facto if not de jure.

Same as how a head shrinker will never declare that you're cured.

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
Can someone define addiction.

I like sex and my wife depends on it Laughing so are we addicts?

I like food and I'm dependants on it Shocked am I an addict?

or is it just things that harm your body or pocket?

so what do you call a good addiction, like riding bikes or going to the gym?

Something you habitually do which is detrimental to your wellbeing or the wellbeing of the people around you.

It could be something unorthodox; So if you were addicted to gym going, and went enough times to injure yourself and put excessive strain on your heart and lungs, foregoing social-family obligations then i'd say it would be considered a dysfunction.

I heard a guy ring into Jeremy Vine once telling of his addiction to water drinking, something he'd been told that would be healthy for him by his doctor - he became obsessed with drinking water and couldn't stop himself, he'd washed his liver clean of bacteria and kept getting ill.

Personally I have a severe case of fuckarounditis - addicted to being lazy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2