Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph Speed Four or Honda VTR Firestorm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tezcat
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:52 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Triumph Speed Four or Honda VTR Firestorm Reply with quote

I've had a break from bikes for a few years. Sold my AST bike, RSV Mille to buy my flat. Now I have some spare change again I need a bike.

I'm now mid forties and not as flexible as I used to be. My two favourite bikes were the CBR600 and the RSV Mille. The CBR was great fun to ride and very forgiving. It bailed me out a few times. The Mille was an animal but also very gentle and easy to ride when not being pushed. The fun we had together when I opened her up.....

I love the available torque of a twin but also enjoy the screaming nature of a four. I'm leaning towards a VTR at the moment as I think I'll be able to ride this more lazily, rolling the throttle but able to push it harder if needed for more fun. What do you all think? Opinions especially welcome from people who have owned either model in the title.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden but not owned a VTR. The Firestorm is a good bike if you can find a tidy unmolested one, hard to do now like it is with TLS's. But if you want to buy something to have a tinkering/project bike then the VTR does need and responds very well to brake and suspension sorting and improvements. The biggest pain is the 16L tank and 100mile range if your commuting etc?

I've never owned a Speed Four, but I think they are a better looking and better bike to ride IMO for road use than any of the pre RR alloy framed CBR's. Personally I'd never have a CBR600 of that era if I could have an equal condition Speed four in orange or roulette green instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:40 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Mille you would not find the Firestorm as thrilling. I loved my storm and only got rid of her because I could not afford to feed her. They are real chalk and cheese bikes, you'll either love them or hate it. They have bags of character, can be a little wallowy in the corners but thats easy fixed with adding Fireblade forks (they do fit great) and upgrading the rear shock. But if you get on with it you'll probably want to keep it.

If you are looking for something to match the Mille for grunt, I'd go for an SP the 2 is better than the 1 but both mighty powerful V2 beasts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:18 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to a bit of down low with the revvy nature, I need to recommend you try the Street Triple. I keep going on and on but it really is the best of both worlds and its a superb bit of kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Firestorm has got terrible MPG, just like the SP 01 and 02, but the Firestorm does not have the performance, nor the looks, suspension and brakes.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The Firestorm has got terrible MPG, just like the SP 01 and 02, but the Firestorm does not have the performance, nor the looks, suspension and brakes.

Or the pricetag Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tezcat
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:50 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street triple sounds interesting, I'll have to look into those a little more.

The reason I was looking at the firestorm after owning a mille was due to how much I enjoyed a v twin. A mille would just rip me apart now. Fuel economy is not an issue and not worried about tank range to much although I'd look for a later storm with the 19l tank.

My mate has suggested a Suzuki 650s to me and says it'll help me keep speed down. Can't afford to pick up points as I drive for a living and only just got back to a clean licence again! Also keeping to a group 14 or lower bike as my no claims is no longer valid.

Trying to find a dealer with these bikes in stock around here so I can try them is proving to be hard work but I'm not in a rush.

Thanks for your input so far.

blackbosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezcat wrote:
Street triple sounds interesting, I'll have to look into those a little more.

+1 for a street triple from this callsign

Tezcat wrote:
My mate has suggested a Suzuki 650s to me and says it'll help me keep speed down. Can't afford to pick up points as I drive for a living and only just got back to a clean licence again!

-1 for a street triple in that case; that noise is just too addictive!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1