Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tell me about Honda Civics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:47 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Tell me about Honda Civics Reply with quote

I'm due a new company car and I'm thinking of ditching it and getting a ~5 year old 2nd hand car to use instead.

I want something Japanese and something relatively small for driving around London, yet big enough to be comfortable on motorways. I'm thinking petrol rather than diesel, think they did a 1.8L version. Preference would be automatic but would consider manual.

Tell me good bad and indifferent things! Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:49 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year, I wouldn't want the newer shapes for london, fuck all visibility.

The later triangle type ones, the 1.8 is fairly lethargic without the mpg to accept the fact its shit.

The diesel loves to chew bits of itself to pieces.

Me, I'd be getting hold of a Mazda 2 or 3 of the 09 era.

Reasons, I worked for both, Mazda were far less problematic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove a 1.8 SI for a day, hated it. Gutless low down and not much more up top, spacious but awful to see out of. Didn't like the interior much.

Y U NO WANT FORD FOCUS?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2009 Type R for a couple of years. Brilliant fun. It went like stink.

Visibility is a (small) issue but rear sensors sorted the parking issue out.

Mine was black with blacked out windows so it looked great too.

I only parted with it because it was useless in the Peak District winter and had to get a 4x4. Otherwise I'd have held on to it.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Civics (mid 90s - mid 00s, i.e. EK and EP) were better than the newer ones in terms of reliability and competition.

I'd sooner have a Mk2.5 Focus now instead.
2.0 automatic, 5-6 years old, £6-7k.
Up to 40-ish mpg combined.
140bhp which isn't great, but enough that it doesn't feel asthmatic.

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:48 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
Y U NO WANT FORD FOCUS?

Had one.

I've heard that the older Civics were better cars, but I really want something newer.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife had an 07 2.2 diesel company car, 140bhp which was quite nippy, turbo kicks in at 1.5k, really good mpg, lots of room, rear seats fold upwards giving lots of space, downside was lack of rear view with bar across the screen and I've heard stories of them eating clutches but hers was as good as gold.

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a 2009 Type R for a few years now, superb car, I love it to bits.

It has been terribly unreliable though, I've had to replace a bulb!!!

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 20:22 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

I only parted with it because it was useless in the Peak District winter and had to get a 4x4. Otherwise I'd have held on to it.

Set of winter tyres would have done it, if the French can drive shit fiat pandas and clios around the alps , you can drive a civic around the peak district in winter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the VSA off and mine has been mostly fine last few weeks with a Scottish winter.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a volvo s40 .great cars
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 31 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: Tell me about Honda Civics Reply with quote

b422063 wrote:
I'm due a new company car and I'm thinking of ditching it and getting a ~5 year old 2nd hand car to use instead.

I want something Japanese and something relatively small for driving around London, yet big enough to be comfortable on motorways. I'm thinking petrol rather than diesel, think they did a 1.8L version. Preference would be automatic but would consider manual.

Tell me good bad and indifferent things! Smile

Don't buy a Honda then, they've been successfully building themselves a rep for making shite autos for some years now.

Having said that, since virtually everyone went over to CVT/DSG or those bloody awful auto change manuals, it's getting a bit difficult to recommend a reliable slush box that actually shifts properly.

Still, my auto box guy is loving it, he's never had it so good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Hondas! I've owned 2 EK4s, Integra DC2 and an Accord Type R. I reckon the Civics went down hill after the EP3 (01-06) can't stand the look of them then although the new Type R is showing promise.

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:

Set of winter tyres would have done it, if the French can drive shit fiat pandas and clios around the alps , you can drive a civic around the peak district in winter.

I did have winter tyres put on it. Made things better, but as we lived in an unadapted lane I decided I needed something beefier to get in and out.

Ooh matron......

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:41 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Tell me about Honda Civics Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Don't buy a Honda then

Definitely that, thanks Shaft, forgot about Auto.

Likely not the same one as they used in the CR-V, but if it was, lol. Best thing about that one was it locking itself at lights into park. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You move the stick but shit all happens until you turn off, put in park, turn on, hope. We just never used park on the road, simply keep foot on brake.

Sure it only affected a batch, but this is the reliable Honda everyone knows and loves...

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Tell me about Honda Civics Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Shaft wrote:
Don't buy a Honda then

Definitely that, thanks Shaft, forgot about Auto.

Likely not the same one as they used in the CR-V, but if it was, lol. Best thing about that one was it locking itself at lights into park. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You move the stick but shit all happens until you turn off, put in park, turn on, hope. We just never used park on the road, simply keep foot on brake.

Sure it only affected a batch, but this is the reliable Honda everyone knows and loves...

The favourite thing with Hondas used to be solenoids giving up the ghost, as a precursor to clutch failure; the box hangs on to gears forever, then slams into the upchange, or feels like it's going to rip the transmission out on the downchange.

So you spend hundreds of the Queen's finest beer vouchers on a solenoid pack, then the next day the box either won't engage, or it won't change out of whatever gear it's chosen, another 1500 quid down the pan.

Now they've moved on to more 'technically advanced' gearbox solutions, they fail randomly and terminally, there's no rebuild parts availability and it's £5K, ta!

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a mk8 1.8 57 plate

whatta you wanna know?

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 02:40 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have winter tyres put on it. Made things better, but as we lived in an unadapted lane I decided I needed something beefier to get in and out.

Ooh matron......

C'mon now, needed ?

Wanted Wink

You can admit it, i bought a completely and utterly useless Corvette and i live down a dirt track when im working in rural PA, scrapes the living shit out of the front splitter but gets around just fine.

But i actually needed that car Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:

They have bicycle tyres on them though which are much better in the snow, modern cars do not, they have wide tyres (205-225mm width tyres are commonplace on your average hatchback now) which do not bite into the snow particularly well.

Nothing beat my mates old 1985 Panda 4x4 in the snow, was unstoppable, proper mud gripper tyres on and it'd get up slopes I could barely walk up.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 03:13 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 is usually on a sportier hatchback and lean more toward being a summer tire than all weather and therefore suck.
all they drive is FWD in the alps, new cars old cars they all work.

There were a load of Brits that got caught out this year with summer tires in the alps during the first heavy snowfall of the year.

Being ill prepared is what will bite you in the ass, my Audi which was also 4wd had summer tires on.

A FWD with winter tires would shit all over it.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:20 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:
225 is usually on a sportier hatchback and lean more toward being a summer tire than all weather and therefore suck.
all they drive is FWD in the alps, new cars old cars they all work.

There were a load of Brits that got caught out this year with summer tires in the alps during the first heavy snowfall of the year.

Being ill prepared is what will bite you in the ass, my Audi which was also 4wd had summer tires on.

A FWD with winter tires would shit all over it.

Oh yeah totally, I've got winter tyres on and in the Boxing Day snow we had in Sheffield I was passing all sorts. The number of people in Range Rover Sports (and plenty of others in those 4x4 crossovers who think because they have a new big car they're driving Range Rovers) were unable to get anywhere because with their equal measures of arrogance and ignorance, they leave summer tyres on year round and couldn't get anywhere in the 6-8 inches of snow.

I'm definitely a winter tyre convert and will forever use them, with a set of summer tyres for the other 6 months of they year. But I understand a lot of peoples arguments about cost, storage space etc, which is fair enough. But then they just go and have summer tyres on all year instead, when there is a vast choice of all-season tyres which do a much better job in the cold, wet and snow. They're mostly idiots.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 03:45 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which leads me to my original point.

Cheaper to throw a set of winter tyres on, then to buy a 4x4, not many people really need a 4x4.

Plus your added fuel costs on them.

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:06 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like the manual would have to be the compromise. That and look at Mazdas. Mazda never seem to stick out at me for some reason. I'll have a look at those models, thanks Paddy Smile

Anything to look out for when looking at them? I've not ruled out diesel, it's just the prices are significantly different. I'd have to do a look of miles before the diesel paid for itself.

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too fancied a jap motor when wifes citroen died its predictable death.
Manual wanted though. Wink.

So we test drove a 10 plate civic SI. It was nice to drive but I couldn't get over the "dash full of lots of electronics just waiting to fail" feeling. Plus it was gutless and high mileage for its price tag.

Bought a Toyota in the end. Low miles 07 plate Auris. Not much to look at (far worse than a Mazda) but easily fixed with some tasteful stickers Razz , and ultimately, it's not a bike, so who cares!
Engine was the deal maker for me, a 2.2 TD which actually feels relatively pokey, providing your between 2-4krpm. And after fitting a good tuning box, It now pulls quite respectably indeed.
It is just a FWD hatch back though, so never going to be anything special, but the double wish bones on the back do help considerably with the erratic direction changes my wife tends to make. And aside from needing a few bottles of DPF regenerater, my first Toyota been faultless.

So I would recommend one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2