Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BCF's opinions on modding your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something to be said for 'all the gear, no idea', which is true in many sports. A generalisation of course.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
So what should these add?

https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/IMG_20141214_150330_zpscba2c2f4.jpg

and on a more serious note.... how about you make a list of mods and the % bump they may make, that could be a good thread.

Probably 3% per sticker, they'd come under "Sticker - Art".

I'll try and nab the document but I'm not sure how instafired I'd get, there are some pretty ridiculous things on it.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my mods to the BMW are 'tall person' extras- flat track bars so my arms are less cramped, relocated rearsets, USB + 12v charger etc. Also changed the colour on a few parts like the pannier rack and rear tail piece (silver > black). Also put a homemade exhaust on with a hacked together baffle to get rid of the boxer engine weedy buzz sound.

On the KLE it's a bit more extensive, got a screen I found at a scrapyard fitted, different sprockets to lower motorway RPMs, engine from a newer bike, crash bars from an ER5, extra running lights, homemade touring seat, heated grips. Next mod will be supermoto wheels as I don't really go offroading anymore.

Personally I think modding your bike is a good way to get it more suited to your riding style, as long as you don't assume any of them add value and are prepared to have to put it all back to stock when you sell it.

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put frame sliders (which paid off) and a sticker on my last R6.
The sticker was to cover a crack on the screen before I sold it.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:26 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all in for modding. With my CBF 125 I have already got new mirrors. The next mod will hopefully be a Scorpion exhaust. But because it's only a CBF I'll stop the mods there Sad

I'll probably go the same minimal route with my A2 bike. But if that A2 bike is an SV650 then I plan on getting angel eyes for it.

Whatever my full licence bike will be, R.I.P anything stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 17:29 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpartanX wrote:
I'm all in for modding. With my CBF 125 I have already got new mirrors. The next mod will hopefully be a Scorpion exhaust. But because it's only a CBF I'll stop the mods there Sad

I'll probably go the same minimal route with my A2 bike. But if that A2 bike is an SV650 then I plan on getting angel eyes for it.

Whatever my full licence bike will be, R.I.P anything stock.

Had the same approach with my R125. Exhaust, few minor tweaks and stopped there.

I'm going full out on my A2 bike cause I consider it an end-bike for the long term, meaning if I do upgrade to something bigger in the future I'm keeping this bike for every day commuting and having the bigger bike as a toy.

Halo lights on the ninja make it look like it's got owl's eyes instead of bug eyes. So pretty.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:

Probably 3% per sticker, they'd come under "Sticker - Art".

Awesome no longer is my bike a tatty old hack..... it's now officially art!

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Awesome no longer is my bike a tatty old hack..... it's now officially erotica!

Fixed that for you Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Awesome no longer is my bike a tatty old hack..... it's now officially erotica!

Fixed that for you Laughing

Ohhh artistic erotica and it's covered in mud so G should approve of it too.

I'll await the calls from the Tate Modern, I reckon £1,500,000 sounds fair.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of an OEM+ man myself. I'd like to keep my vehicles largely stock, but I typically mod mine to improve ergonomics and day to day usable performance.

So the R1 has

Arrow Double Bubble Screen - standard screen was way too low for motorway cruising, causing no end of buffeting.

Arrow Shorty levers - The ergonomic shape of the levers gives be better feedback and control over stock.

Arrow R&G crash bungs - Wafer_thin_ham can vouch how useful they were on the R1!

Arrow HID headlights - I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I have them on because the roads around here are pitch black, very twisty and very hilly.

Performance & Aesthetics

Arrow Yoshimura Carbon Slash Cuts - Because they were going for a really cheap price

Arrow Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust Heat Shield - They came with the used yoshis, so I weren't complaining!

Arrow Power Commander III - Sort out the surging and hunting at low revs.

Arrow Tail Tidy - Just to clean up the look of the already sexy rear end.

Arrow Rear Seat Cowl - Gives me another fag-packet's worth of storage space under the seat - Handy for a wallet!

And that's about it really. I was going to go down the route of the LED indicators, but the OEM jobbies are a nice enough size, very bright and very noticeable. I think Yamaha are pretty good at making indicators a reasonable shape and size (Honda, Take Note!). One less excuse for a SMIDSY.

From a distance, I want people to think that it's a standard bike, but then small details will draw them in. Same principle with my car. 35mm drop for better feedback on braking and cornering, and a modest 17" set of JDM alloys to complete the look.

OEM+ is the way - no anodized tat! Thumbs Up Karma Anybody would guess they're standard!

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10984578_10153162075555712_1312730729010714521_o.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
I'm more of an OEM+ man myself.

Heavily photoshop filtered photograph.

It's a shame you don't hold your photographs in the same regard. Razz

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got no problem with anyone modding anything really!

I'd just say that I learned a long time ago, but only as you can from wasting £££'s and ££££'s that if you want to modify something for power and performance gains, then it's best to start with something that's more than capable enough for your needs, as you can't be disappointed then.

Put a £300 exhaust on your CBF125 and it will just be loud and you'll go meh! very quickly. But put a new system on a 198bhp ZZR1400, and though you might not notice the extra 10-15bhp? your never going to be disappointed with the performance are you?

I also have this weird thing, where I look down on people that buy flash new Hot hatches thinking that they are the bollocks for handling and performance as std out of the box. Yes some cars are supposed to be sublime as std like the Megane RS250, Focus RS etc, but all these std car's with just a few mechanical mods could probably release a lot more potential.

It doesn't need to be a mega hatch either, I mean I bet the Suzuki swift sport driver, or Fiesta Zetec S driver would be having far more fun with a few quid spent on their ride to maximise the engine's and chassis potential maybe?

Some folk don't know or understand modding or that it can be done, or just aren't interested. But I think the Ibiza Cupra owner with a few quid spent on his car, would be having more fun than the M3 owner with a box stock out the showroom and same as all the other M3's example?

The above are not the best examples, but it's the way I think though.

As for bikes, well there's more scope for making them individual and unique/personalised far more easily and cheaply than it is for cars. But if I had a 200x more capable new Fireblade, even though I might not care for engine/exhaust/electronics tuning, id still want my carbon hugger, tiny personalised rear plate, and a dark tinted screen/headlight maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Too many of the aftermarket bits added are very cheap and nasty bits of tat (small indicators being the worst for that). Quite difficult to really improve a decent standard bike without making things worse in other areas.

The Bandit has been modified. Probably spent more modding it than the bike was worth at the time. Hell of a lot more power than standard but still looks relatively standard (I have some CNC machined engine outer covers which look nice, but too obvious so still sat in their packets). But it ways it is worse than standard. Rediculously heavy clutch and throttle, noisy exhaust, fiddly choke (slide carbs), etc.

All the best

Keith

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cans because the originals sounded shit. Tail tidy because the old one was acting as a wind break. That's about it, wouldn't do much else to this bike, probably wouldn't do much more to any bike.

Obviously doesn't bother me what people do to theirs, some things are a bit silly though. Spending thousands on a bike which isn't worth that much seems a little pointless, but if I buy a bike that has got some decent mods already, bonus for me I guess, but I wouldn't pay loads more for one.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here - whether it's a "should I modify my bike?", or if it's more along the lines of "will people take the piss if I modify my bike?"

Either way, it's your bike so do what you want to it. As has been said, you will never ever recoup the costs if you ever come to sell it, but people who buy a bike with an eye on resale value are plain stupid anyway............... Wink

To over 99% of the population, a modified bike is as much 'a bike' as the factory fresh completely stock example. It's only other bikists that might spot something different.

My bike is a bit modified, and there are some more modifications 'coming soon' - I'd bet that even most other bikists couldn't spot them without me pointing at them, then explaining what is different. It's not that they are particularly minor, it's more that "nobody" knows how mine is supposed to be standard anyway. I don't care if it might or might not affect the 'value' either way, I'm very unlikely to sell it.

The vast majority of things listed so far in this thread aren't really 'mods' in my eyes either (I'd never make it in insurance) - so you fitted a different screen and a rear mudguard? Whoop. Same goes for heated grips, 'fender extenders', stickers, etc. etc. It's all just swapping bolt-on bits really.

Also, as far as weight-saving-to-improve-performance goes - I can save you thousands in carbon, aluminium and titanium with one piece of advice. Force out a decent crap before you for a ride, there you go, saved a kilo in weight. Laughing

finniee
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:32 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the next few weeks pay dependent as well as some personal things that need paid for, I plan to :

Add led lights to improve seeing in the dark as most of my riding is done at night.
Possibly a brighter light behind the dials.

Crash bungs have been sorted.

Wanted to add a aftermarket can such as a scorpion, but I cant justify it on a 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I mod? Because I can, I get a perverse pleasure from making something better than it left the factory. Yes Suzuki designed this bike but the did it to a budget and to certain regulations. Now it is in my hands I can do as I please with it.
I like to make my bikes handle better and if needed add more power. It's almost like a challenge, can I make this bike better than something newer for less money? Of course I fucking can.

My TL1000R so far has......
Arrow Full Yoshimura system
Arrow Ohlins rear shock
Arrow Standard forks rebuilt with ohlins internals and nitride coating
Arrow K&N Air filter
Arrow Power commander 3 & dyno time
Arrow 1080cc big bore
Arrow Carillo H section con rods
Arrow Yoshimura Cams
Arrow Titanium valves
Arrow Lighter Valve springs
Arrow Lightened and balanced crank
Arrow Ported and polished heads
Arrow Undercut and superfinished gearbox
Arrow Barnett clutch
Arrow Nissin 6 pot calipers
Arrow Galfer wavey discs
Arrow Scotts steering damper
Arrow Brembo brake pads
Arrow Brembo 19x20 radial master cylinder
Arrow PT Radial clutch master cylinder
Arrow Gilles rearsets
Arrow Double bubble screen
Arrow Earls braided hoses
Arrow Renthall Chain and sprockets
Arrow Modified airbox
Arrow Harris carbon front mudguard and hugger

I love it and will continue throwing cash at it until I buy a Busa. Pic is before some of the mods. It is not to everyones tastes but I am proud of it.
ALL of the engine work I have done myself, and spent may hours scouring breakers/ebay for parts to make it my own.

It may be a TL, but it is MY TL.

Pic before some of the mods have been fitted.

https://i.imgur.com/iO44Fv5.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:41 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
can I make this bike better than something newer for less money?

So how much HAVE you spent?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Fisty wrote:
can I make this bike better than something newer for less money?

So how much HAVE you spent?

Less than you think Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:03 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hadn't formed an opinion until you wrote that, which suggests to me the answer is "more than I could have bought a better bike for" Wink.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I buy bikes I avoid modified ones.
The only mods I woyld consider are: exhaust, braided brake hoses (but must remain black), lighter chain and sprockets, some form of crash protection.
I don't fancy any engine modifications (valves, valve springs etc.), anodised tat, stickers everywhere, tatty paint, knackered fairings, streetfighers, etc. unless I'm after a very cheap,repairable track bike potential.
If somebody sells a bike with db screen or anodised crap then I expect to pay less for the bike unless the original parts come with it as well.
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Well, I hadn't formed an opinion until you wrote that, which suggests to me the answer is "more than I could have bought a better bike for" Wink.

As I buy bikes with parts fitted, then strip the decent stuff off and sell on the rest, I would say less than 4K for the whole lot. Including the price of the bike.
Yes you can get better bikes for 4k, but I would not have had the fun, excitement, or pleasure of modding a 4k bike. It would still be as it left the factory, like all of its stable mates. Mine is not.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:13 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have modified my Street Triple. R and G crash protectors and an Arrow full system. The arrow was second hand and very cheap, and the R and G's appear to be strong and may protect my bike in a low speed spill.

I doubt I could have bought a better standard bike for the same money. Some bikes beg to be modified, such as Buells which are awesome in many ways and dire in others. The clutches on both of my previous Buells were so heavy I had to modify them to save my left wrist from extreme pain. Also I fitted adjustable belt tensioners to extend the life of the belt.

None of those things were particularly done for performance reasons, more for usability and practicality reasons. Even the arrow exhaust is a whopping 7kg lighter than the standard system on the Street Triple. I'd say that was a better benefit than any bhp or noise gain.

Although it does sound awesome.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:26 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

Yes you can get better bikes for 4k,

So, EFA:
Fisty wrote:
Of course I fucking can't.

Wink

Though, if I wanted parts, that's the way I'd go. Which could be why I have a little too many pitbikes right now (supermoto - which come under my 'racing class' mitigation).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5