Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pimp my moped!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

WherEmEweeD
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Pimp my moped! Reply with quote

Just bought a wee Peugeot Sum up 125cc 4t clean looking scooter atm.

Was just wondering if anybody new the best options for me to make her a bit more racey.

Previous owner had just had a whole pile of stuff serviced on it and clean it up well.

Im not interested in stuff that wont increase speed or acceleration i have done a little digging about for cylinder kits etc but just not sure whats the best options.

Cheers

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Pimp my moped! Reply with quote

WherEmEweeD wrote:

Was just wondering if anybody new the best options for me to make her a bit more racey.

Previous owner had just had a whole pile of stuff serviced on it and clean it up well.

Im not interested in stuff that wont increase speed or acceleration i have done a little digging about for cylinder kits etc but just not sure whats the best options.

Cheers

The quickest way to make it fast would be to throw it off a cliff. Any other way of trying to speed it up would just be an exercise in futility.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell it and buy a "performance scooter".

my ex had a runner 125 and was pretty nippy, then she went to a 180 and that thing shifted along quite nicely (had indicated 96 at one point)

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big bore kit, jet to suit the bbk, mess about with different clutch springs & roller weight setups. If the Sum Up is the normal pug, rebadged Chinese gy6 type thing then there is a 150cc kit out there.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do this:
https://mortons.mortonsmedia.net/media/u/650_517497926.jpg

Like this:
https://www.lambrettainnovation.co.uk/view_page.php?pid=105

/thread

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 125 scooter. Live with it. Horses for courses and all that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on YouTube, you will find several videos on de-restricting this type of engine, but the problem with that, is that you will be putting more pressure on other components - forcing them to operate outside of their design limits.

You could also make the machine illegal for road use, dangerous to ride, un-insureable, and difficult to sell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WherEmEweeD
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:38 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, gonna read over them and do some research and take a look at the scooter closely this weekend.

atm i'm thinking bbk 150cc (unless there are bigger ones)
new filter
racing clutch springs
sports pipe on it
bigger carb and increase airflow for bbk

any other suggestions or anything i should know about the following mods like best parts to buy or tips on maximising the potential of them.

Is there much point replacing rollers if they seem to be working fine?

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have a lot of fun with a 9" grinder, purely on a weight saving basis if you see what I mean.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Pimp my moped! Reply with quote

WherEmEweeD wrote:

Cheers

Have you thought about covering it with flames ?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:13 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

WherEmEweeD wrote:

As much point as replacing any of the other parts on a 4 stroke 125 when you've presumably got a NSR125.

Replacing rollers is as good a way of chucking money away as the other parts Smile.

Raksha
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

pass ya tests. sell moped. save money. buy a gold wing

GaryJM
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 04:43 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiet way of getting more performance pass your test. Also in the long run the cheapest.
De restricting a 125 on a CBT is pointless and expensive.
It's not just about the engine but components such as brakes, suspension etc would need to be upgraded as well.
Also as others have said it could well become uninsurable as insurance companies are not keen on modified bikes as a general rule.
If you are on a CBT its not just limited in respect to bhp but also power to weight ratio as well.
So pass a test ( if you've not already done so) and buy a bike/scooter that fits your needs better.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:25 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfourtunately as tuning projects go it's a waste of time.

Buget around £300-500 to gain around 5mph and a tiny bit of acceleration.

If you want a quick scoot, sell the 125 & buy a 50cc two stroke...there's off the shelf cylinders good for 20hp availible for those.

Have a read of this;

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=297243

and this;

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=284594

Pissing about with scooters is a massive amount of fun - Ignore the "Buy another bike" mob Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:34 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
sell the 125 & buy a
Ignore the "Buy another bike" mob Wink

Thinking

What's the average life expectancy of a 50cc based bike making 20hp used for daily riding?

A NSR125 is listed in the sig. If that is still owned, I'd be sorting that, if it needs work - as stock in average condition we're talking a real 24 hp, with brakes and wheels to match.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

WherEmEweeD wrote:
i'm thinking bbk 150cc (unless there are bigger ones)
new filter
racing clutch springs
sports pipe on it
bigger carb and increase airflow for bbk

any other suggestions or anything i should know about the following mods like best parts to buy or tips on maximising the potential of them.

The BBK will be the only real gain in that list (and a small one at that). You won't need a bigger carb just bigger jets in the current carb. A more open pipe will make no real difference other than noise, a fancy air filter will make no real difference, be a pain to jet correctly, suck up water whenever you go through a puddle making you stall.

After a BBK the rollers and springs are the only place you can make a difference you will notice.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:12 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What's the average life expectancy of a 50cc based bike making 20hp used for daily riding?

Well, 100-300 miles between piston rings if the fuel consumption doesn't get you first. However, 80cc air cooled motocross engines when fitted to H100's and MB5's apparently managed several thousand miles between top end rebuilds so its entirely possible you'd make it last longer. Currently we're up to the 100 mile mark on my engine & theres no sign of any wear to the cylinder, no ring blowby or anything realy despite being really abused and badly jetted from the off.

I belive you could junk the 125 four stroke powerplant and slot in a 50cc smoker fairly easily given it's only two bolts that hold it in. The 125 lump could likely be sold to fund the fancy cylinder and pipe combo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WherEmEweeD
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:36 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well people i'm sorry to say but the nsr 125 is gone i'm just back from NZ working for a year and the mother decided she would sell it to pay some of my debts i left which i never intended to pay lol

I have cursed many times in my sleep about this as I only had about a month of winter riding before i left and secured her up in the back of the garage. i called her the aprilia smoker Smile

Now im at square one scraping away and trying to get myself a better bike I ride 11 miles too and from work on a straight dual carriageway it seems like this bike feels every little slight uphill gradient in the road would the uphill struggles improve with a bigger bore kit?

i'm not to found of the 50cc 2 stroke idea lol I would be happy to engine replacement ideas though.

i don't think the clutch has been replaced in all its 20k miles would a racing clutch make it respond to take off throttle faster?

Just noticed from the journey home the crankshaft seal must have broken as there is a leak. so that will be something i will have to fix this Friday.

WherEmEweeD
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to pass the theory then go for the test my instructor says it will be a doddle from putting me through the same stuff as you would do in the test in my a2 CBT on a 500cc honda which was super fun.

Any body tell me how they thought their bike theory was i'm not to fussed about wasting my money on failures. done it once on my car theory that was 5 years ago so i really dont wanna fail this one.

WherEmEweeD
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:50 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
Unfourtunately as tuning projects go it's a waste of time.

Buget around £300-500 to gain around 5mph and a tiny bit of acceleration.

If you want a quick scoot, sell the 125 & buy a 50cc two stroke...there's off the shelf cylinders good for 20hp availible for those.

Have a read of this;

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=297243

and this;

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=284594

Pissing about with scooters is a massive amount of fun - Ignore the "Buy another bike" mob Wink

I like the idea of messing about with them modding them etc but i couldnt see myself sticking with them for too long i miss the control on my yamaha supermoto and the speed of my honda sportsbike on the scooter i feel so vulnerable maybe i just havent felt the connection with the bike yet as i have only owned it for two days.

WherEmEweeD
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:54 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raksha wrote:
pass ya tests. sell moped. save money. buy a gold wing

You remind me of my cbt instructor except his bike of choice was BMW R1200RT
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1