Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

European tour 2015 end of june/early july

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

erinsboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:43 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: European tour 2015 end of june/early july Reply with quote

Well folks,, Its summer season again and time to plan holidays ,I'm doing a 3 week tour with my other half from july 16th till august 4th, we intend to travel from dublin to the uk, head to harwich(uk), board the ferry to holland, spend a few days touring holland, head down from holland to germany,spend a night or two there, then head to vienna in austria and catch the sights over a couple of days, leaving vienna and heading to geneva in switzerland for some sightseeing and some relaxation,, then heading to marseilles in france for the last days of the tour before heading to cherbourg to catch the ferry home, if anyone is interested in joining us, feel free to get in touch,, happy touring
mileage : (ireland) dublin to belfast (northern ireland) 167km, ferry to liverpool (uk) , liverpool (uk) to harwich (uk) 362km, ferry to hook of holland (the netherlands) , hook of holland (the netherlands) to vienna (austria) 1168km,vienna (austria) to geneva (switzerland) 1048km, geneva (switzerland) to marseilles (france) 461km ,marseilles (france) to cherbourg (france) 1127km , ferry to rosslare , rosslare (ireland to dublin (ireland) 150km,, total trip is approximately 4483 km, stopping in every country for at least two days, I'm doing this trip on my kawasaki gtr 1400

Last edited by erinsboy on 23:03 - 06 Mar 2015; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Ruthlesshired... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this kilometers. Everyone knows it is millimeters, centimeters, meters, MILES. Wink

erinsboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:47 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Touring & Exploration Reply with quote

Ruthlesshiredkiller wrote:
Can be used or not.

Not sure what that means or if it's even English
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

erinsboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:49 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What is this kilometers. Everyone knows it is millimeters, centimeters, meters, MILES. Wink

If you bought a sat nav,, you wouldn't need to know the scale

Ali in Austria
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:26 - 28 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with routes between Vienna and Geneva especially. If you have routed via motorways then the times will be pretty much spot on but if you start cutting through the mountains, which tend to be shorter routes in distance, you will actually double your travelling time which routing software isn't that good at reflecting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scottish Biker 2015
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:58 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Similar trip Reply with quote

Hi we are planning a similar trip, Perth to Newcastle- Amsterdam-then head for lake Como in Italy for a few days south of France, then take it from there.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Similar trip Reply with quote

scottish Biker 2015 wrote:
Hi we are planning a similar trip, Perth to Newcastle- Amsterdam-then head for lake Como in Italia for a few days then to Aix an provenance in south of France, then take it from there.

When you leave Como, if in no great hurry head south to Geno then head West. There is a coast road all the way into France what has great views of the sea and takes in a few good towns. For speed you can still take a higher road (E80) and just pop into a couple of towns for food, cheaper fuel. The E80 also skiffs over Monaco what you would be nuts not popping in for a visit.

scottish Biker 2015
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Similar trip Reply with quote

GPz750 wrote:
Hi we are planning a similar trip, Perth to Newcastle- Amsterdam-then head for lake Como in Italia for a few days then to Aix an provenance in south of France, then take it from there.

When you leave Como, if in no great hurry head south to Geno then head West. There is a coast road all the way into France what has great views of the sea and takes in a few good towns. For speed you can still take a higher road (E80) and just pop into a couple of towns for food, cheaper fuel. The E80 also skiffs over Monaco what you would be nuts not popping in for a visit.

I have just been checking out that very route you suggested, it looks amazing

scottish Biker 2015
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:45 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Similar trip Reply with quote

When you leave Como, if in no great hurry head south to Geno then head West. There is a coast road all the way into France what has great views of the sea and takes in a few good towns. For speed you can still take a higher road (E80) and just pop into a couple of towns for food, cheaper fuel. The E80 also skiffs over Monaco what you would be nuts not popping in for a visit.[/quote]

I have just been checking out that very route you suggested, it looks amazing[/quote]

So we are looking at Amsterdam to Frankfurt, then Basel ,Como, Genoa along the coast to Sanremo onto Nice then aix, Grenoble, Clunie, Nnancy and then back to the Dam, roughly 1800 miles,

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Frankfurt a must. Google says 4 hours but that is no delays. Normally you will get chucked off the ferry at 09.30 but the past 4 years its been closer to 10.30 and 11am last year. Also getting into Frankfurt and out again takes up time. I would skip it and spend the first night here

https://www.alter-posthof-ehr.de/

That was recommended to me for last year and its a cracking on route hotel. I was Ijmuiden to that hotel in Halsenbach at around 4.30pm but that was after a detour to a friends house on route. Cheap room €75 i think for the wife an me and breakfast. It serves food until 9.30 and as far as i could tell the mini bar was free Very Happy

https://goo.gl/maps/jeNFL

scottish Biker 2015
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:03 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to the route master (the wife) we may miss out on Frankfurt all together. She has now decided that we should get off the ferry, spend a night in Amsterdam check out where the best weather is and head there ! wumin ! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the link to the hotel, appreciate it.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:55 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to the route master (the wife) we may miss out on Frankfurt all together. She has now decided that we should get off the ferry, spend a night in Amsterdam check out where the best weather is and head there ! wumin ! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the link to the hotel, appreciate it.

How long you away for?

Amsterdam at the start of your tour. Hmm. I say dont. Over priced shit hole. I take it you have not been before. Take a sat nav as getting in and out is not as easy as it look on paper. You go into Amsterdam you have lost a days holiday, a day you could have in the sun down south. If you must visit the dam get an easyjet flight from Edinburgh one long weekend. You can almost double everything in price that you can get south Holland or Germany. Como is fantastic and to lose a day down that area for the sake of a night in the Dam is pure stupidity in my opinion. If you are going into the Dam to get a bit smoke for your trip then dont. The stuff over the counter in bulk is shit. You would be better getting a Ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and buying there and head on your tour.

Ali in Austria
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:11 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of use to you:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zllkQBAwv3Mw.kK2oDNPXQ1BQ

and if you are passing by en route between Vienna and Geneva, pop in for a brew www.pensionhausmaria.com Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

erinsboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gpz750.. Thanks for that, we won't be going into Amsterdam,, it hasn't received one decent review from bikers,, so we're gonna go straight thru to one of the smaller towns,, more atmosphere and relaxation, thank You

scottish Biker 2015
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:54 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long you away for?

Amsterdam at the start of your tour. Hmm. I say dont. Over priced shit hole. I take it you have not been before. Take a sat nav as getting in and out is not as easy as it look on paper. You go into Amsterdam you have lost a days holiday, a day you could have in the sun down south. If you must visit the dam get an easyjet flight from Edinburgh one long weekend. You can almost double everything in price that you can get south Holland or Germany. Como is fantastic and to lose a day down that area for the sake of a night in the Dam is pure stupidity in my opinion. If you are going into the Dam to get a bit smoke for your trip then dont. The stuff over the counter in bulk is shit. You would be better getting a Ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and buying there and head on your tour.[/quote]

3 weeks in total !
looking at staying outside the dam,(if we decide to stay over) have done it a few times in the past via easy jet but would not be keen to take the bike in to the centre. Como, and the south of France is main area for the trip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1