Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Quite the opposite. Booze hawk made the point that cyclists don't pay for the roads. I was pointing out that as most of the money used for roads is raised from council and income tax, as well as the fact that most cyclists also own a taxed motor vehicle, his statement was a touch retarded.

Maybe I was being too subtle and you missed it Laughing

I then made the point that there is a wide selection of motor vehicles now available that don't pay tax, but people don't refer to them as 'non contributers' but it seems you missed that too.

For all I care its the Queens corgis pay for the roads. My issue is C4 news did not and never do take any interest in motorcyclists. A well established group of road users who while sharing a lot of the vulnerabilities of cyclist also have the advantage of a proven effective training culture.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Maybe I was too busy absolutely guaranteeing that I'm super awesome and you missed it Laughing

FTFY Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

rideslikean00b wrote:
I thought this thread might touch on things like how the money that should be used to fix back roads that are potholed and patched to death isn't going where it should and how dangerous that is for cyclists as well as motorcyclists, but I guess it's just a "who pays more tax in general" contest right now. Very Happy

I did thi k the thread was in danger of going off-piste, just not this badly this quickly.

I don't necessarily think cyclists should pay tax but they should have to do a CBT. It worked for motorcyclists in reducing casualties. The C4 news segment was about cyclist casualties and a proposed £1Bn network of cycleways in London. £1Bn is a lot to spend on a bunch of untrained road users who will still get flattened when they get to a junction and have to mix with others.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too much of a difficult issue really. Would a four year old have to do an assessment before removing their stabilisers? Children are still road users as cyclists.

Maybe we should just abandon VED. There's a new idea.

mailee
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:27 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's pretty obvious that the sensationalist TV companies think that all motorcyclists are the spawn of the devil who's only purpose in life is to kill themselves and everyone around them in a maelstrom of twisted metal and balls of flame! Shocked Of course cyclists are sedate quiet eco friendly road users who could never do any damage with such a light vehicle and are at the mercy of every other road user. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:00 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

It's 78 years since there's been a direct connection between 'road tax' and funding to roads.

There's nowhere else really people expect a direct correlation.
(Maybe apart from illegal immigrants stealing our 'elf-services?)

I haven't seen anyone say "well, they don't deserve to have their car fire put out because they don't pay council tax/don't pay it here". Or "well, I pay loads of VAT on cake, so I deserve to have the government spend loads of money on cake-infrastructure".

As mentioned, bikes pay exactly the same road tax as cars anyway.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

Maybe we should just abandon VED. There's a new idea.

What would you pick for the government to tax instead?

The halfway sensible choice would be to out it on fuel, but that way, you'd still end up with the same rediculous 'my gas guzzler pay more tax therefore I have more rights to the roads' bullshit that we have now.

At the end of the day, it's a broken up under funded piece of junk that the public have just as much right to walk along as to drive, but sadly, some people people have a massively over inflated sense of their 'rights' to be on it.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:

For all I care its the Queens corgis pay for the roads

And yet your opening statement mentioned the 'tax paying road user' so clearly you do care. I was merely trying to educate you as to who the 'tax paying' road user actually is, and why it's a rediculous point to raise..

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Boozehawk wrote:

For all I care its the Queens corgis pay for the roads

And yet your opening statement mentioned the 'tax paying road user' so clearly you do care. I was merely trying to educate you as to who the 'tax paying' road user actually is, and why it's a rediculous point to raise..

I made a rhetorical statement. Live with it. If your smart enough to be in the 40% tax bracket your smart enough to understand that. So just relax and untwist your Lycra. As a combined cyclist and biker you could contribute to the C4 debate or you could just keep your peace

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:51 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
If your smart enough to be in the 40% tax bracket your smart enough to understand that.

Laughing

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:39 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Quote:
So just relax and untwist your Lycra.

Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Did anyone see the segment on cycling in London on C4 news last night? I know John Snow is a cyclist and he openly supports cycling issues but I thought it was such a biased report. There was no attempt to include the views of the other two wheeled road users, the tax paying trained and licensed ones. I am thinking of emailing C4 News about the matter. Any thoughts on what points to bring up?

I am not sure you can win that one. The point is you cannot argue with dumb people and make them clever do you?

The roads are not designed to have cyclists and motorised vehicles sharing them. The same reasons why cyclists are banned from motorways are valid for all other major A roads. The solution is simple - build dedicated cycle lanes and ban them from the major A roads.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--cx048oTL--/810581546633600941.jpg

About the lycra guys - I would say you need to watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights to appreciate how ridicilous a guy looks in that ROFL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:18 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Val wrote:
The solution is simple - build dedicated cycle lanes and ban them from the major A roads.

Where exactly should they be built?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think push bikes should be taxed but I do think they should be registered and 3rd party insurance compulsory.

Maybe register the person and have some sort of plate transferrable between bikes?

I say this because of the utter utter twats I see riding round London taking not a blind bit of notice of red lights, zebra crossing etc. If it was easy for coppers to issue a FPN against them they might take some notice of the road laws.

Plus I might have been able to get the cost of my respray back after 1 utter lycra clad shit scraped up the side of my car and just rode off. Twisted Evil

Personally I'd like death race rules where it's open season on the fuckers but that isn't going to happen. Laughing

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Val wrote:
About the lycra guys - I would say you need to watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights to appreciate how ridicilous a guy looks in that ROFL.

You do understand that the idea behind lycra is not that it's worn as a fashion statement, right? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:32 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number plates on push bikes or on cyclists themselves... that'll work. Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Number plates on push bikes or on cyclists themselves... that'll work. Laughing

Compulsory helmet law then stick the number on the helmet or plates transferable between bikes. There's all sorts of ways to improve safety other than billions on esentially a second road network.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Val wrote:

You do understand that the idea behind lycra is not that it's worn as a fashion statement, right? Laughing

Its for strangling prostitutes with when you're out on a bicycle ride.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:59 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Val wrote:
The solution is simple - build dedicated cycle lanes and ban them from the major A roads.

Where the cyclists are going.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:59 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Last edited by Triton Thrasher on 16:40 - 06 Mar 2015; edited 1 time in total

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:

That is just one of the handy fringe benefits Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:27 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

Cycle-erotic-asphyxiation Wub

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Channel 4 News cry-in for cyclists last night. Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Ste wrote:

Where the cyclists are going.

Hopefully off the wrong end of a short pier. Thumbs Up

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

why cant all you other cyclists be like me and ride down the towpaths Laughing

or just up the road to the pub Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:

Compulsory helmet law then stick the number on the helmet or plates transferable between bikes. There's all sorts of ways to improve safety other than billions on esentially a second road network.

How do you plan on insuring, training and registering children only a couple of years old?

Remember that roads belong to the cyclist, walkist and horseist, who use the road by right, motor vehicles are using them by license.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4