Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving from Android ecosystem to Windows?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Moving from Android ecosystem to Windows? Reply with quote

Guys, after years of paying through the arse for features on flagship phones I NEVER really use, I've decided to jack it in, buy a decent mid-range phone out right and go on a sim only contract.

I was looking at getting a Lumia 735 but I've never used the Windows OS before. Is it rubbish?

I'm worried there won't be apps for Google Play, YouTube, Gmail etc. Is it worth switching or should I stick with Android? I've been using Android phones for so long now I think I'm hopelessly embedded.

Ta!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

the built in email client is fine the most part and can use gmail no problem. google put a block on app a proper youtube app for the windows phone but the mobile site works fine. google and windows don't get on too well.

I don't use google play, never have and a quick search in the store shows just one app for it for £1.99

I ma still use a lumia 525 and the OS is just fine. the one things that I will say though is cortana drinks battery for a past time. with here active which requires location service to be switched on and a net connection I went from charging once every 24 hours to 2 sometimes 3 time a day - needless to say I have switched her off now. but the voice recognition she comes with is fantastic and can even understand my fairly thick Devonshire accent.

It maybe worth popping along to a local phone dealer and asking if you can try and have a look around the OS to get the feel of things before you make a final decision.

here's window online app store thingy that maybe useful for you to figure out if you can the apps you want.
https://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/search#q=top+free&s=Store

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:33 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Moving from Android ecosystem to Windows? Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
I'm worried there won't be apps for Google Play, YouTube, Gmail etc. Is it worth switching or should I stick with Android? I've been using Android phones for so long now I think I'm hopelessly embedded.

Ta!

You have every right to be worried.

I had the 735. I subsequently lost it. However, I don't care as the "YouTube" app was 3rd party and shit, GMail was its own mail client. The apps on windows are shit, the processor was gash and in all honesty, the battery life and maps were the best thing.

The S5 however has the same battery life, decent maps, infinitely adjustable and don't mind losing the 735.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 925, great phone, and I like Windows on it. yes 3rd party YouTube is not quite as good, but you get used to it's failings.

However, the best of the 3rd party e-bay apps is still pretty poor. You can't load up saved searches (i.e if you've saved a search on a PC as "bikes 50 miles", when you try to load it up it will just put the title of the search in the search bar).

Apart from that all other apps are fine, more and more of the big ones are coming out, and if there's no app there's always the website

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the apps you use and then look on the windows app store and see if they are there as well....

If you do mobile banking. You may not be a happy bunny....

Sabs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been buying flagship phones, why not just keep the one you've got?

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:34 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll check out the available apps first as others suggested. I can probably live with some 3rd party apps. But the main one I need is Google Play music and it looks like they have that.

Sounds like the hardware is good but the software and apps are a bit sub standard still?

Might end up sticking with android at this rate, just easier.

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:37 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabs wrote:

Its an S4, had it since it was released and I'm bored of it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:05 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:

It is a phone... you don't need to be excited about a phone. It is for convenience.

flikers
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:08 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I get e-murdered for mentioning iPhones?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:38 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

flikers wrote:

What does an iPhone 6 do better than my S5?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
flikers wrote:

What does an iPhone 6 do better than my S5?

Bend Laughing

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

flikers wrote:

Not murdered just cast out into the night without food or clothes during a blizzard. If I wanted something that does everything a new brand new top of the range iPhone does, I'd buy a three year old Nexus 4. Razz

Actually a Nexus thats not a bad idea...

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 02 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

flikers wrote:

I have an iPhone 5 for sale that I haven't mentioned Smile

They're actually still pretty good, I know people still using an iPhone 4 and it's still the same as any other smartphone, but now cheap.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call £130 cheap for a 3/4 years old phone with no warranty.

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad picked up some kind of Lumia shit. We tried to plug the WINDOWS phone in to a WINDOWS PC to download the pictures and you couldn't. The model he had, after googling, well it turned out that you needed to install some cumbersome bloated software (MS Zune) in order to connect to it. The software was buggy shit.

I was pretty disgusted that you could not plug a windows phone in to a windows PC and have it just connect, like you can an Android... I mean what the fuck?

It's probably changed now, but it put me off forever...

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

covent.gardens wrote:
My dad picked up some kind of Lumia shit. We tried to plug the WINDOWS phone in to a WINDOWS PC to download the pictures and you couldn't. The model he had, after googling, well it turned out that you needed to install some cumbersome bloated software (MS Zune) in order to connect to it. The software was buggy shit.

I was pretty disgusted that you could not plug a windows phone in to a windows PC and have it just connect, like you can an Android... I mean what the fuck?

It's probably changed now, but it put me off forever...

holy crap, I haven't seen anything zune based in like 5 years, maybe more. I have never had an issue with any phones being plugged into any windows machine, heck I even stream from my home server to my phone, the server even downs the bitrate of the music so its 320kbs or less which works great without any extra stuff installed. the 525 plugs strait into via USB with no extra software can access both the phone memory and the card too.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work supplied one last year. Nokia 5XX.
In relation to the above, I had that as well. IT installed various software and gave up in the end. Turned out that the PC thought it was a camera when connected, so I had to change it in the device manager.

Work rolled them out as the blackberry server was getting old/ expensive/ unstable. The new windows server fell over alot to start within until it got updated. Work also rolled them out because they are cheap, and this shows.

Basic, lacks functionality. Un-intuitive, backwards. Horrid operating system which you can't believe is so castrated. Stab the screen and hope it does something.

Good point
Would last for days on the battery. Mainly because it was such a horrid user experience touching it I shunned it and left it in the bag.

Excellent integration into Outlook calendar.

I didn't even try to use it for pleasure or on the internet. I would not wish one on anyone, but one mate loves his (cheap / basic).

Never used an iphone, but i'll stick with Android.

We called them "shokias" at work as they are shockingly bad.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
Sabs wrote:

I'd keep the S4, still a pretty decent phone. I doubt the intended mid-range replacement will excite you any more.

My S4 recently started coming up with "SIM card removed, restart phone" - with a dialogue box that couldn't be dismissed, so I've put it in for repair (a month left on the 2-year warranty) - I have a Huawei smart phone as a temporary replacement - even scrolling down a web page causes it to judder and lag. The screen is unresponsive and the whole experience is like wading through cold treacle. I have a feeling that the S4 will feel like an awesome phone once I get it back again.
In summary, I recommend using a really poor budget phone for a week to make you appreciate the phone you've got!

I'm half tempted to get the S6 next month, but like you, I'm also toying with the idea of going SIM-only [and just keeping my S4].

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:03 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after much deliberating I got the Lumia 735 in Kawasaki Green.
But I've kept hold of my S4 for now...just in case.

I've only had it for 1 day, impressions so far are mainly positive. The design is ace, it's a really nice looking bit of kit. I love the simplicity of the live tile interface thing and I've had no problems setting it all up the way I want it. The screen is great, speakers are loud, browsing is smooth (but missing Chrome). So far I've hit no brick walls. Also the keyboard is very accurate. I bunged a 32gb SD card in to boost the memory as it only comes with 8gb out the box. Also it interfaced with my Windows laptop fine.

I've managed to download all the apps I need with the exception of Google play music, however I just switched to Spotify instead so its no big deal. There was an app in the store for it but I don't want a 3rd party to have my login credentials. There is a serious lack of apps in general in the store though. If I used my phone for more tasks I'd probably be struggling at the moment. In fact that's the only real downside so far, there's no apps.

TL;DR Bought Lumia 735, so far so good

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:09 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabs wrote:
I'm half tempted to get the S6 next month, but like you, I'm also toying with the idea of going SIM-only and just keeping my S4.

Going Sim-only is the whole point of this, to be able to change tariff/network provider month to month if I see fit. And it will be nice to switch up my phone a bit more often then once every two years.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the direct opposite of what most have been saying so far then?

windows phones have been heavily criticised for ages mostly due to there late entry to the market and the presumption that they aren't as good because they are different from what people are used to.

but I would still avoid cortana, don't how long your battery lasts but she ran through mine in no time.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gone from Samsung to Sony due to my S4 not bouncing too well and not wanting to pay £500 for a good smart phone.

I bought a Sony Experia Z2 and am still getting used to it but seems OK. Less playing with android skins that Samsung, nearer nexus which I quite like.

I do like android so didn't look at windows phones

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:25 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cortana is switched on at the moment, but I haven't actually used it. I've been streaming Podcasts and music since I got into the office at 8am, screen on medium brightness and I'm down to 81% battery. After 4 hours of constant use, my S4 would probably be down in the 40's by now, I used to have to charge it twice a day.

The change to Windows has been much easier than I thought, it's been seamless. There's a pre-installed app on the phone that transfers all your contacts and texts etc. over from your old phone using Bluetooth. I'm not sure any more that the bad rep they have is entirely justified. Apart from the App situation, they have to sort that out its dire.

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
Apart from the App situation, they have to sort that out its dire.

What seperates a smart phone from a 'dumb' phone? The apps. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2