Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Illuminating tent

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 30 Mar 2015    Post subject: Illuminating tent Reply with quote

My tent doesnt have any hanging points for a light, so i was looking at getting an LED lantern.
Just after some suggestions on a good one which will give decent lighting, enough to read and what not.

Already purchased one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380608815545?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And was looking at this but unsure if wind up ones would be any good, i do hate the hassle of swapping batteries though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-Multi-Functional-Wind-Up-LED-Lantern-Torch-USB-Charging-DSP6025-/111538455969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f835c5a1

It can also charge a phone which is useful

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 30 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a little Coleman LED lantern but found it inconvenient. I just use a head-torch now, much less aggro.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 30 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends upon what you intend doing in your tent. I don't like wind-up laterns because they always seem really dim for the effort put it. I'd be tempted to look for one that charges from a car, and hook it up so it charges from your bike during the day.

Also, depending upon what camping you are doing, do you really need a lantern? On my own, I just use a headtorch that lasts forever on the low setting (which is quite adequate for reading or cooking). If it's daylight, I'm out and about. If it's dark, I'm in the pub or in bed.

Obviously it's different if you are in a big tent with the family.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This years BBQ may see some extreme Glamping where lights are concerned. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 30 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a string of these :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Operated-Fairy-Lights-Lights4fun/dp/B000W6TS3M
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:23 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

illuminated tents always give the neighbours lots of amusements, mainly due to forgetfulness of the lights owners not turning the lights off, the illuminated / silhouetted drunken antics of the occupiers having sex that amuse the neighbours most.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 02 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well made little thing and the light shines downwards unobstructed like it should do and has a low light setting to save batteries.
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6528933465.html?orderId=66116065490738

or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-Mini-White-USB-Power-5V-LED-Night-Light-Pocket-Card-Lamp-Portable-Hot-Sale-/251866551522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa46a94e2

you can get a shielded type that diffuses the light a bit more, either type come in 'cool' or ' 'warm' variants, cool is brighter, the warm is damn bright anyhows, I bought both, tiny little things you can put on a keyring.

Run them off your mobile phone, hardly any energy usage, get an OTG cable and you are only powering the lamp and your phone is not activated and using up battery power.

You could run the lamps off a battery power pack if you don't wanna use your phone.

OTG Cable
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-Host-Cable-Male-to-USB-Female-OTG-Adapter-Android-Tablet-PC-Phone-/161185885011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25876d6b53

You need to get the right connector for your phone\power-pack, mini usb, micro usb etc.

nerald
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:38 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://luminaid.com/
Try one of these.
I have just picked one up seems to give off a fair bit of light enough to read by anyhow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1