Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another coalition government: good or bad?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:

The Swiss have other problems - their currency is too powerful. They had an artificial peg to ensure it remained close to the Euro. That artificial peg ended up costing too much to maintain and they discontinued it very recently (the downward spoke on the chart).

The problem with a powerful curreny is that no one buys your stuff. People in the short term get a boost because they can import cheaply, but the inability to export eventually catches up and damages the economy severely.

I recall reading about the problems the Swiss economy has within the contexts of a global market. One thing I don't hear about Switzerland is stories of unemployed people queueing outside the food banks, huge unemployment figures, rampant poverty and a penchant for onesies, they must have a state controlled media Thinking

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for coalition governments it may be a new thing for the UK but has been very common in Europe for quite a while now, at the moment just these few countries in Europe are under a coalition government...

Albania
Austria
Belgium
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Kosovo
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Serbia
Slovenia
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland

Hungary and Spain being the notable exceptions!!

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Eh? So a bunch of anti English racists, who couldn't drum up enough bigots in their own country, would be perfectly matched to a coalition of the biggest economic incumbents of UK politics?

Are there people still out there who think borrowing your way into crippling debt is a good thing?

As I seem to remember the Scottish have their own parliament which the rest of the UK get no say on, yet still want to rule decisions which effect the rest of the UK. Sounds pretty fair to me...

so 10%of the population of the UK that the party's from Wastemonger begged us to stay in the Union
should have no say in the way the country is run and leave it up to tossers like Scameron Miliband and Clegg

no thanks Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, we are still a United Kingdom (in name certainly) and if the Scots return a huge amount of SNP MP's then there isn't really any more reason to reject their validity than there would be for UKIP, the Greens or anyone else.
If they were to become part of a coalition government then one would hope that they took their responsibilities towards the UK as whole seriously and not just work towards policies favouring Scotland - remember that the people of Scotland voted to stay within the UK and biting the hand that feeds is never a clever political move...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I recall reading about the problems the Swiss economy has within the contexts of a global market. One thing I don't hear about Switzerland is stories of unemployed people queueing outside the food banks, huge unemployment figures, rampant poverty and a penchant for onesies, they must have a state controlled media Thinking

Are you particularly surprised that the effects of a high currency have not been felt only a few months after the de pegging to the euro? I'm pretty sure I covered that point when I said "People in the short term get a boost because they can import cheaply, but the inability to export eventually catches up and damages the economy severely." - you even quoted it!

The Swiss unemployment figure is just 2% below the UK's - https://www.tradingeconomics.com/switzerland/unemployment-rate

Their major exports are now being squeezed, so expect that to rise...

And... If poverty were defined in Switzerland as it is in the UK then there would certainly be a lot of impoverished people...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about our civilization? People rarely talk about this. The Tories hide their agenda on this and labour don't seem to have one anymore, they just get led around by the nose by the Tories. Lib Dems also make great claims about some sort of vision but never seem to effectively define it. The greens and UKIP just look like nutjobs.

I think the spending cut issue is very misleading. There's a big difference between cutting spending to save money and stopping funding to shut down certain activities that don't fit a parties ethos. I never see this point made.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
"Westminster" is just an acceptable way of slagging off the "English" without being racist. The SNP have an image of Braveheart fighting off those nasty English. If we had an English National Party, there'd be outrage.

The SNP should have no say in matters that ONLY effect England, Wales or N.Ire. Just as "Westminster" (aka the English) has no say in matters that solely effect Scotland. I don't understand how it can be acceptable for a party only interested in one country in the union, who wants to break up the union, to have a say in matters effecting all countries in the union. It's not far from the EDL being involved in the Scottish parliament IMO.

Your country had it's chance and the majority wanted to stay in the UK. It's time to let it go and get over it.

most people north of Watford tend to hate Wastemonger as it tends to service the City of London first
before any consideration to the rest of the country

the SNP has a policy to abstain on "English Matters" and has done for years

yes we voted to stay as part of the Union but with that comes the right to have influence on matters that effect us
or the rest of the UK for that matter

I really resent the "Braveheart" comments and the Anti English sh*t
I am a card carrying member of the SNP but I live and work mostly in London
should I move my Business up to Scotland and sack my English staff ??
I'm no "Braveheart" anti English fanatic just your average guy from Scotland
I'm sure we all have idiots that show our country's up
but I'm not one of them

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Wobbly Orange
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question has been asked would the UK have returned to growth anyway without the fairly tough approach taken by the government. I would say that indeed it most likely would have, however the more leftist governments in Europe while growing do have it at a much more anaemic level. France is probably the best country to look at, in a mirror darkly so to speak.

I actually wanted Labour to win in 2010 but feel that the least 5 years have proved me wrong in that belief. I'll be voting Tory this time round because from a purely pragmatic sense it seems sensible to see this current course of action through rather than veering right to left and getting less done.

Just my 2 ponds.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

show me when any SNP mp has voted on an "english only matter"
their policy is to Abstain unlike Scottish Labour who vote the party line regardless
of the fact its nothing to do with them

yes I did threaten to move abroad but I have staff that rely on me for there jobs
in Scotland and England,

you seem to think all Scot's are anti English, you seem to be very Anti Scottish
we have just as much right to be part of the decision making process
and yes esp if it effects our interests
same as the welsh and Irish do
not everyone wants to be ruled by party's that can't see further than the inside of the M25

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
If we had an English National Party, there'd be outrage.

We do... I've seen quite a lot of pity for them, but not much outrage.. Perhaps yo should look into them, they seem right up your street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnp72 wrote:
The SNP want to break up the United Kingdom, in my opinion, that doesn't make them fit to be in charge of it, even jointly. Talk about a conflict of interest.

You still haven't got the hang of this democracy thing yet chap have you ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A majority of Scots believe the system that allows their MPs to vote on English-only matters is unjust, a poll released today shows.

The YouGov survey, conducted for the SNP, shows that two thirds - 65 per cent - of Scots believe it is "generally unfair" that Scottish MPs in the House of Commons are allowed to vote on English-only issues.

the SNP stance from their webpage

Quote:
it would be undemocratic and plainly wrong for MPs from north of the border to vote on an English legal matter.

Reiterating the SNP's unique position on voting on matters which did not affect Scotland, Mr Wishart said:

"Scottish National Party MP's vote for Scotland's interests and priorities at Westminster and the SNP wants all powers currently exercised by the House of Commons to be returned to an independent Scotland.

"In the meantime, SNP Parliamentarians vote on matters which have a direct or significant indirect impact on Scotland, including UK constitutional affairs. We refrain from voting on exclusively English, Welsh and Northern Irish matters.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

this is an NHS matter which will effect the Scottish NHS
just another Media smoke and mirror story
this does have a direct effect on Scotland, Oh the Herald is not the best source for Scottish politic's
bit like the daily fail Wink

any changes to the NHS effects the whole of the Uk
if the tory's havn't already sold it off via the back door to there mates Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wobbly Orange wrote:
The question has been asked would the UK have returned to growth anyway without the fairly tough approach taken by the government. I would say that indeed it most likely would have, however the more leftist governments in Europe while growing do have it at a much more anaemic level. France is probably the best country to look at, in a mirror darkly so to speak.

I actually wanted Labour to win in 2010 but feel that the least 5 years have proved me wrong in that belief. I'll be voting Tory this time round because from a purely pragmatic sense it seems sensible to see this current course of action through rather than veering right to left and getting less done.

Just my 2 ponds.

The Tories austerity measures have nothing to do with good fiscal planning its all just revisionist crap. They're just using a crisis to slip their bonkers pre war model of society to us under the radar. It wont work it will cause division in society which will cost more in the long run. I wish people would stop swallowing this idea that the Tories are a bunch of sober minded accountants, they're not they're as big a bunch of fanatics as Scargill, Bin Laden or 'itler. Osborne might look like a dull stick and I'm sure he is but that doesn't mean he cant be a nut job. As already mentioned he was as big a proponent of big borrowing as anyone on the left, in fact he was touting Ireland and Iceland as a model to follow!

EDIT: By "pre-war" I mean pre first world war. Imagine 😥

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets doff our caps to the gentry Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
lets doff our caps to the gentry Laughing

I would have to, I don't have enough hair to tug my forelock 😢

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:43 - 31 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wobbly Orange wrote:

Just my 2 ponds.

I think that pragmatic view is the right one.

We are clearly on a path to recovery and removing the deficit.

Labour appeal to the lowest common denominator, you only have the look at the constituencies they succeed in to see it. South Wales, Northern lands and historically Scotland. Traditionally industrial, union led and lets face it, not the most educated. Labour play on this to make claims that to those of us with half a brain cell seem unachievable and completely contradictory, but to their core vote who re-populate at a higher rate than others like the rhetoric that comes out. "We'll tax the rich, mansion tax, bring back the 50% top rate of tax" It works for their voters. Even though most of us know that the very rich will bypass this and it is thought that re-introducing a 50p tax rate may well not make much of a difference.

Interestingly enough I have noticed that Labour are thinking of introducing a 10p rate of tax again. So how low will this go? Will it bring the people who have just been taken out of 20% tax altogether back into income tax? I can't see how it is either a vote winner or will bring in a great deal of income.

I like the tax free amount being increased, over and above the minimum wage increase it puts more ponds, in more needy pockets.

I do however think a 30p rate of tax between the 20 and 40p rate should be introduced. Just, well cause it would benefit me. Laughing

Finally, I am actually mortified that the SNP who my opinion have no mandate for existence given that their host population voted to stay within the union will probably hold the balance of power in the UK, when all you have to do is look at their manifesto to see that none of their policies is at all framed to benefit anybody else but Scotland. How can these principality parties be able to have representation in a UK General Election?!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

UKIP, borderline racists. Even though I am to the right, we belong in Europe, I daily interact with people all over Europe in my job and I need to be able to visit/work without hindrance. Everything in the EEC is so easy, try having to go to Moscow or USA, visa bolloxs.

Lots of people keep calling UKIP racist, without any real proof to back it up. Not wanting over immigration caused by not being able to put restrictions in place thanks to the EU doesnt make a parts racist.
I dont see any reason why systems cant be put into place to allow you to travel to Europe easily when we leave the EU either.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
JonB wrote:

Finally, I am actually mortified that the SNP who my opinion have no mandate for existence given that their host population voted to stay within the union will probably hold the balance of power in the UK, when all you have to do is look at their manifesto to see that none of their policies is at all framed to benefit anybody else but Scotland. How can these principality parties be able to have representation in a UK General Election?!

On the last sentence, smelly yoghurt weavers apparently think it's OK.

Smelly yoghurt weaver??? Laughing
Regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks, these people are voted into power using the system as it's set up at the moment - if you have an objection to 'democracy' in that form then you'd be better off haranguing your MP (for all the good that it'll do) than slinging cheap insults at non fascists.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5