Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me an N/AC router

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Recommend me an N/AC router Reply with quote

Anyone got any good experiences with good N or AC routers?

I've got a DLink 868L and the signal is worse than my sky hub and speeds not much better - done the usual channel 1,6,11 etc etc, i'm no expert but i'm 99% sure i've got the router set up correctly. 2.4ghz is okay, 5ghz is great within 3m but loses signal rapidly beyond that - best i've had from an 802.11n NIC that is right next to the router is 150mbps but when file transferring it can only seem to use about 50bmps of that.

I've got no AC adaptors at the moment but want a decent router before I spend on the adaptors but based on the N performance of this DLINK I want to try a different router first, might keep the Dlink as wireless bridge.

Anyone got a decent alternative?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G323PG0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Asus gear (linked above) is really really good.
Thumbs Up

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 28 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, struggled to find stock, ordered from a couple of places only to be told they don't actually have any but managed to get one ordered eventually.

Didn't really want to spend so much but this dlink is turd and the top end Asus should be relatively future proof.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent a little time helping a mate (who lives in a block of flats) setup his wifi, by moving the channel to one with less traffic.

It seems that most of his neighbours were using the same channel, so if you have an Android phone, you can download a free app called 'Wifi Analyzer' and see where all the noise is coming from, and re-configure to a less busy channel.

The app also has speed tests, so you can check how good your choices are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i've had inssider up and running but given i'm in a detatched house in the countryside the only other wifi in range was my homeplug wifi extender Smile

Still got slightly better results sticking the dlink on channel 1.

What makes me think the dlink is either broker or just pump is that all my nics join at max speed which then drops and drops after a few seconds and when moving files from one to another the network utilisation is never more than 30-40%.

Meh i'll use it as a bridge if I need it when I get the Asus.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these at christmas, pretty bloody good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00CEB53MS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1427659822&sr=1-1&keywords=tp+link+c7

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TP-Link gear has really improved over the years.
Used to be total shit, but are now a serious contender.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
The TP-Link gear has really improved over the years.
Used to be total shit, but are now a serious contender.

Agreed, we've been shipping out their cheap ADSL routers to our customers and some of their other networking gear has moved from being cheap, to cheaper! Laughing

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Asus RT AC68U and it's no better than the dlink 868L so I'm guessing that a combination of naff N adapters and I'm getting some bizarre interference from something are the cause - I've got the router behind the TV, hooked into the sky router with WiFi off along with my hifi amp, speakers, Intel nuc, sky box and two PlayStations, not sure if all that is providing some kind of interference.

So for £100 less the dlink doesn't look too shabby now!

5-6m away from the router in the kitchen I'm getting less than 1MB/s on 2.4ghz and no signal on the 5ghz.

Upstairs signal bounces from 24-32 mbps up to 140 mbps but realistically only getting 4MB/s tops.

I can get 200mbps over homeplugs.

Time to try some AC adaptors now and try the dlink as a bridge upstairs.

£300 spent so far Laughing

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an ASUS as well, the wireless is shit. 5ghz is useless and 2.4ghz isn't strong enough to cover my ground floor house.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to disagree with the negative comments on the Asus, mines in my understairs cupboard and covers my entire house with 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, much better than my Virgin Superhub did.

Wifi is only used my Macbook Pro from 2011, iPad Air 2, iPad 2, Samsung S4 and iPhone 6.

Only the iPhone 6 has issues, google has suggested it's an iPhone problem, not looked into it further as it's not mine so I don't care.

From my living room, the router is about 3-5meters away, through 2 walls and I can still get full speed from VM 152mb, i think get get about 140ish.

Not using AC, all on N.

2.4Ghz is only enabled for Chromecast and the little-uns Leappad thing.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asus RT-N66U here and it works a treat.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've had the Asus and dlink both highly rated and both not doing so well so I don't think it's the routers, must be something in the house. Given the price I reckon the dlink might be a decent bit of kit at £60-70.

Both routers can get 2.4ghz round the house but only just, its a decent sized house but its modern and detached so no thick walls etc and although I get signal nothing is quick enough for large file transfer. Still using my 100mbps homeplugs.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 02 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suffering channel flooding with neighbouring devices?

LarrySims
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:20 - 02 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two TL-WR841N, upgraded them to dd-wrt and although I used them for about 3 years they still work great.
The coverage is good, I can stream FullHD videos to my TV without any problems and no signal loss.
So my experience with N routers was a good one.
About TP-Link: https://www.mbreviews.com/tp-link-tl-wr841n-wifi-broadband-router-300mbps-n/

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 03 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Are you suffering channel flooding with neighbouring devices?

Definitely something downstairs is causing the problem. I've put the dlink upstairs and it's belting out full 2.4ghz and 5ghz pretty much all round the house.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 03 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all day to get the Dlink 868L working as a wireless bridge / AP but can I get it working? Can I balls.

Anyone want a DLink 868L Router for cheap?

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
Just spent a little time helping a mate (who lives in a block of flats) setup his wifi, by moving the channel to one with less traffic.

This can help. It's why I love DD-WRT - most routers go to 12, but this one goes to 13. Very Nigel Tufnel...

+1 for TP-Link tech. It's cheap but well made and I believe pretty much all based on Atheros chipsets. Had my WR-TL1043ND for about 18 months now and have had great results, there's so much data flying back and forth for LAN streaming etc but even with stock antennas and DD-WRT installed I can push 1080i TS files recorded by my Freesat box with an average bit rate of 10-15Mbps through several walls to my MacBook Air via wireless N and still have it nice and stable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1