Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

...And now for something completely different

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Mar 2015    Post subject: ...And now for something completely different Reply with quote

So after my 'Sporty Naked' thread, I decided I wanted something more practical and not sporty as a daily ride. If I have the urge, I'll buy a cheap sports bike for weekend rides.

So for my it was between the Multistrada and a GS. I've wanted a GS for a long time but have constantly wrote them off and they're absolutely massive and I'm only about 5'5". But, I found this one for a good price. People watching me ride it must be laughing at how I have to slide off to keep it up, but I'm used to it already.

It's a 2009 special edition R1200GS. Made to mark the 500,000th 'GS' labelled bike having been made. As standard it comes with everything - ABS, Traction Control, Electronic Suspension, Heated Grips, Tyre Pressure Sensors, Wire Wheels...

Flew down to London yesterday and rode it the 400-ish miles home. Amazing to have mirrors where I can actually see behind me for a change, and the position is so tall you're looking down on people in vans. Rides like a cloud on the motorway too, very comfy. The guy I got it from put some tyre-black stuff on it which has crept onto the edge of the tread so I didn't push too hard on the way home, I'll remove it today.

Just got this quick snap at a food/fuel stop just south of Leeds.

https://i.imgur.com/daJ8VSn.jpg

Last edited by Albigularis on 14:15 - 24 Mar 2015; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bike. I like that!

BigDan1190
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:05 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

If he can do it...

From my reading (i'm dying inside to get a 1200GS), I'd recommend searching the frame to find any paint chips and get it touched up, give the whole frame a good coating of ACF50. Replace any bolts you can with new stainless. And do your own oil change just to be sure, including changing the oil in the shaft drive, and check all the seals/covers around the drive.
Also, if you can get a better sump guard, one that comes up and covers the front engine cover, that'd be very worthwhile. After a while that front engine cover takes a real beating, the paint bubbles and it rusts. Its also a real bitch to take off and repaint, so best to keep it looking nice Razz ACF50 is your friend.

UK GSer is a great forum Thumbs Up

P.S. Congrats on your new purchase, she looks great!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of tyres are those, I can't quite read the logo? Wink

Looks tidy. Thumbs Up

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, as long as you are happy that's all that matters.

I'm definitely 20 years too young for a bike like this.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:

You can still riding them like a hooligan. I think foot out supermoto style with the cylinder heads down. Cool

Dcwhite1984
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:02 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike that, i want a gs when i give up on sports bikes. But not quite ready for one yet.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:

I'm not even much older than 20! I just don't see the point in sacrificing comfort on a sports bike when I can have something like this which is still quick and is basically a La-z-boy on wheels.

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
What brand of tyres are those, I can't quite read the logo? Wink

Looks tidy. Thumbs Up

They're Metzeler Tourance. They seem to be a decent for a light offroad run according to reviews, and they seem to handle bloody well on the road.

BigDan1190 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

If he can do it...

From my reading (i'm dying inside to get a 1200GS), I'd recommend searching the frame to find any paint chips and get it touched up, give the whole frame a good coating of ACF50. Replace any bolts you can with new stainless. And do your own oil change just to be sure, including changing the oil in the shaft drive, and check all the seals/covers around the drive.
Also, if you can get a better sump guard, one that comes up and covers the front engine cover, that'd be very worthwhile. After a while that front engine cover takes a real beating, the paint bubbles and it rusts. Its also a real bitch to take off and repaint, so best to keep it looking nice Razz ACF50 is your friend.

UK GSer is a great forum Thumbs Up

P.S. Congrats on your new purchase, she looks great!!

Yeah, ACF50 is first on the list. I'm in the middle of taking the bike outside to clean it just now so once it's clean I'll dry it off and get it ACF'ed up. All the seals look to be fine to me, made sure to check before taking it home. I ACF all my bikes, and they've all remained brilliant looking under their daily dirt. No corrosion on any of them at all, even the Street Triple which got treated then cleaned after the snow we had, 2 months later. It look horrible but was pristine underneath.

I'll try and get a big guard like you mentioned, truthfully it wont see much offroad for a while anyway. Frame is definitely chip free which is good. I think the previous owners only used it on long motorway stints. I definitely hear you on the bolts as well, most GS's I've seen have had some key bolts quite corroded.

Went over and cleaned it briefly, ACF'ed it and done the plastics-

https://i.imgur.com/YBHKwm8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TSuz6RB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sYILgsE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EEoE9Y5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gXZXiny.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/01N0o0c.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zmRljOO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/77EHW8K.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PnyTFiu.jpg

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very clean and tidy.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of terrain are these bikes ideal for?
And secondly how much tyre grip and adhesion are you losing on tarmac with road biased blocky off road style tyres, compared to having proper sports touring tyres?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What sort of terrain are these bikes ideal for?
And secondly how much tyre grip and adhesion are you losing on tarmac with road biased blocky off road style tyres, compared to having proper sports touring tyres?

The point of them is that you can ride them on long tours, take them on offroad trails etc... They're designed as a great "do it all" and the GS is king of them. Granted it's not a freestyle motocross bike, nor is it a hayabusa, but it'll handle whatever you throw at it. Apparently they jump well too...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/R1200GS_jumping.png

Unsure on the tyre question, I dare say "a bit" would be the correct answer. I don't find it needing grip though, the tyres seem to roll smoothly enough and grip fine on the corners. Given that they perform admirably on road and will handle off-road when I get round to it, I'm happy to stick with them. They also heat up in seconds which is good. Average MPG over my whole trip from Stanstead to Glasgow was over 50, so I'm happy all round.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

50MPG is wicked, my little 250's get nowhere near that, I regularly see less than 30 on my CRM. And about 45 on my TTR Laughing

The thing that puts me off this style of bike is the weight. I'd like a Tenere 660, which is nowhere near as big as that beast, but even the weight of that puts me off a bit.

As to the question about the tyres, if you'd actually used those Conti tyres you gave me Stevo, you'd know that that style tends to grip quite well. Mr. Green

My rear distanzia is absolutely dire, though I have put that down to the fact that it is designed for bikes like the GS, and the weight of my TTR just doesn't get any heat in it and that the tyre is from 2008 and I was using it from November to January. But in the summer months those conti-escapes never slipped at all and they're a similar style of tread pattern. If I were braver, I reckon I could have touched pegs with them on. Only issue is I chewed through the rear in about 3,500-4,000 miles. You may see even less mileage from a larger heavier bike, but they may have a harder compound?
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 25 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
50MPG is wicked, my little 250's get nowhere near that, I regularly see less than 30 on my CRM. And about 45 on my TTR Laughing

The thing that puts me off this style of bike is the weight. I'd like a Tenere 660, which is nowhere near as big as that beast, but even the weight of that puts me off a bit.

As to the question about the tyres, if you'd actually used those Conti tyres you gave me Stevo, you'd know that that style tends to grip quite well. Mr. Green

My rear distanzia is absolutely dire, though I have put that down to the fact that it is designed for bikes like the GS, and the weight of my TTR just doesn't get any heat in it and that the tyre is from 2008 and I was using it from November to January. But in the summer months those conti-escapes never slipped at all and they're a similar style of tread pattern. If I were braver, I reckon I could have touched pegs with them on. Only issue is I chewed through the rear in about 3,500-4,000 miles. You may see even less mileage from a larger heavier bike, but they may have a harder compound?

The weight isn't that bad, but I'm used to controlling a bike whilst hanging off it, so I have a lot of confidence that way. As soon as you start moving, this thing doesn't feel like it weighs upwards of 250kg...

From what I've read, people are getting 8kmiles+ from the rear Tourances on 1200GS' and upwards of 12k (some saying over 15!) from the front. They are definitely quite a hard compound so they do heat up really fast, but that just gives me more confidence, as I've had my fair share of cold- tyre moments.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: ...And now for something completely different Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:

It's a 2009 special edition R1200GS.

Albigularis wrote:
you're looking down on people

Sounds about right then Wink

I actually quite like it.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like, apart from the white writing on the sidewalls.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I like, apart from the white writing on the sidewalls.

This. I thought the writing in the first pics may have been a weird camera flash reflection, sadly not.

Sort that asap.

Nice bike though, I've ridden a couple of Tigers which I quite enjoyed so I'd imagine your enjoying this too.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sold on it either. I dunno what to use for removing it without harming the rubber though. I'll have a look tonight. The worst thing is it goes yellowish when it's dirty and looks horrible.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 27 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a softish nail scrubbing brush and some soapy water first. May come off with some gentle rubbing.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 28 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you can keep us (or just me) updated on this, long term?

I still have a serious hankering for one, but something keeps putting me off, probably to do with reports of overly complicated/expensive repairs being required, rather more often than might be expected.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 28 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I still have a serious hankering for one, but something keeps putting me off, probably to do with reports of overly complicated/expensive repairs being required, rather more often than might be expected.

Borrow my R1100S for the shakedown if you like Shaft, see if the boxer engine suits you.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 28 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

You'll probably see any issues I have posted in threads here.

The thing to keep in mind is the mileage these things do. Look at all the used ones for sale, anything over 4/5 years old is usually on 30k miles plus, there aren't many bikes that get ridden that much, plus there are a lot of them out there, so I think it's natural that you hear about a lot of issues with them.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 28 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Borrow my R1100S for the shakedown if you like Shaft, see if the boxer engine suits you.

Thanks for the offer Pete, but it's not the dynamics that trouble me, it's the reports of BMW not building them the way they should, leaving the customer to sort it out, either by doing it themselves, or by paying dealers to do it for them, neither of which appeals to me.

BMW have spent many years promoting their 'ultimate driving experience' spiel, but the ownership experience can often fall short.

I would be happy to be proved wrong, as a GS would seem to fit my idea of everything I want from a bike, but I've read enough and talked to enough owners to know I'll need some convincing

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own an old school air head, and apart from a blown gear box, its been pretty good, ive done quite a bit of riding on the older 1150 and some on the 1200 as well and while i like the power delivery and the way it handles, its just a bit ungainly off road

i had a klv1000 and a vstrom 1000 as well, and these almost are perfect but they are a bit to lowly slung,
if i was to get another big "adventure tourer" it'd be the tiger 800 explorer, its about 25kg lighter than the bmw, a little less power,
most of the weight is probably saved but not having a shaft drive, and having conventional styled forks over the lever set up,

the thing that would sell it to me would be the 21" front wheel (best size off road) and its width.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1