From Tokico 6-pots to NISSIN, and once again back to Nissin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Well, I think you're right, evoboy. Anyway, these things should be even ''stronger'' than the original thread, so I'm gonna use them. But what about the hose bolts? There's no such a thing as helicoil there and the tokico bolts won't fit in there. CB500's brake hose bolts fit just fine. It sure is odd. Thinking

The thread pitch might be slightly different. Cant quite remember on that one as I stuck braided lines on both of the bikes I fitted them to, specifying for banjo bolts to fit those calipers.

As long as the mount bolts you fit have the correct shoulder on them to fit the fork legs, you shouldnt have a problem Thumbs Up

APT Motorcycles

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
So when you planning on swapping?

If all goes to plan, hopefully i'll get mine done on Sat morning. The weekend looks dry over here so will give me a chance to give them a good run in and see how they feel.

Well, friday is the day, we should have nice weather here, 16°C and sunny, so I arranged a short trip with my mates. I won't be pushing it that hard, there are two ninja 250's in the pack. I'm getting those four bolts tommorow, my mate says he can get me some.

The first corner shall be fun Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:

The thread pitch might be slightly different. Cant quite remember on that one as I stuck braided lines on both of the bikes I fitted them to, specifying for banjo bolts to fit those calipers.

As long as the mount bolts you fit have the correct shoulder on them to fit the fork legs, you shouldnt have a problem Thumbs Up

The seller claimed he used them, so it has to work, I guess. If not, then I'm gonna have a word with him. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 08 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done!

Definitely not a quick swap. Thumbs Down
Hoses are alright, they have enough space, I tried to turn the bars full left and right, pumped the front end like crazy and there's no tension nor contact of the hoses with anything around. I did a short run, about 50 miles and it worked good. It gets better and better, as you will see a in the last two pictures I made some marks on the discs to see if the calipers worked and the right one was alright after 10 miles and the left one needed a bit more miles to be done. The pads are from Nissin and as I remember, it takes about 120-150 miles before the pads work with the discs on 100%.Thumbs Up

I had to push the pots back into the calipers to fit them, as usual, and I could do that with my thumbs, didn't even have to push it that hard, it just went in. Shocked
The tokico's pots needed a lot more work, even had to use tools to push those little bastards back in. Laughing

The system was filled up and bleeded in about 10 minutes, brake lever is a bit hard to squeeze (lever set on 2), but there is a plenty of brake power, too much I'd say. I tried some hard braking and WOW, that's how it's got to be and my mate says it'll get even better after I do a bit more miles on it.

So, 30 pounds well spent, I'd say...

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC_0138_zps186df42b.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC_0150_zpsf29c7d62.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC_0140_zps22751569.jpg

CHECK MARKS after 5-6 miles:
The left one: https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC_0147_zps6e94f41a.jpg
The right one: https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC_0167_zps8bb4de28.jpg

stu_m
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:14 - 08 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

said you wouldnt regret it Thumbs Up

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 09 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, definitely think it was £30 well spent!

Can't wait to get mine done now! The brembo pads are sintered too so should be a very good combo. They are £30 a pair just for the pads Shocked will be pricey to replace next year lol.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 09 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
Looking good, definitely think it was £30 well spent!

Can't wait to get mine done now! The brembo pads are sintered too so should be a very good combo. They are £30 a pair just for the pads Shocked will be pricey to replace next year lol.

You can always use different pads, and 30 pounds is not that much. Thumbs Up

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 10 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped mine over this morning. I checked how many pots were working on the Tokico's, well 1 in each as it happened Shocked , no wonder they were so pants.

The Nissins are a great improvement. I think they could still do with a bit more bleeding, but will let them bed in first and see if that helps.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 10 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
Swapped mine over this morning. I checked how many pots were working on the Tokico's, well 1 in each as it happened Shocked , no wonder they were so pants.

The Nissins are a great improvement. I think they could still do with a bit more bleeding, but will let them bed in first and see if that helps.

2 pots out of 12, that's ehm, well, Laughing

My left caliper worked alright, sort of. The right one had 2 pots that did not travel freely, so when I pushed them out with MC, they would not go back in right away, which resulted in twitching when I released the lever, quite scary. It happened the day I decided to ditch those six pots.

I still can not believe how many motorcycles use those six pots today, people who ride their bikes are lucky or must spend 90% of the season in garage cleaning them.

EDIT: Try to make the marks like I did, to see how the nissins actually work. Thumbs Up
Nick 50 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:30 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: calipers Reply with quote

Just bought a pair of six pot tokicos! wish i'd read this thread first Embarassed

reed
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:27 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
Rhyno or any other 7 owners.

A business on facebook is looking to put these into production:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s261x260/1235533_10201816793574080_1780576792_n.jpg

If anyone is interested gove me a shout or go to:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2383388259/

That is ghey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: calipers Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
Just bought a pair of six pot tokicos! wish i'd read this thread first Embarassed

Can you not re-sell them? How much did you buy them for out of interest?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Nov 2013    Post subject: tokicos Reply with quote

Paid £44 plus postage came with hoses and master cylinder in a nice shade of handpainted red Confused https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-gsxr750-front-brake-setup-complete-/251342317808?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=

stu_m
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:39 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: tokicos Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

with a bit of TLC they can be made good but yes theres always a but! you must keep on top of them

I used to strip mine at the start of the season clean them all up and put them back together

No need to replace the seals if they are good

the most important part is to make sure all the crap is out the seal groves as this is what causes all the problems! the groves arent deep enough and let all the shite in which corrodes the alloy and pushes the seals on to the pistons gripping them and seizing them

a bit of brake grease in the grove helps too

bleeding can be a right twat as the nipple isnt at the top and air gets trapped so remove a caliper at a time to bleed and wedge something in the pads to stop the pistons popping out and move the caliper in to allsorts of positions to get the air moving, lightly tapping the caliper helps too Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: tokicos Reply with quote

stu_m wrote:
I used to strip mine at the start of the season clean them all up and put them back together

No need to replace the seals if they are good

I did the same thing and was quite surprised when the front brake did not work as well as I wanted it at the moment and then went through the corner a bit faster than I intended. I said fxck it a put the nissins there. I'd rather have a bit worse brakes that work all the time rather than tokicos that occasionally don't at all.

500km+ after cleaning, and I was back to what it was like before I even started + that surprise moment was not nice. I'm no profesional, but if that happened to a beginner, he'd most likely crash the bike quite badly. Thumbs Down

Loads of bikes use the six pots and work well, I don't know, maybe I'm cursed. Laughing

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does makes sense that the 6 pots should be great brakes when in tip top shape, but I really didn't fancy having to strip the calipers often over the winter.

Had 4 pot Nissins on the CBR and knew how good they were so went for the change. The Nissins were a doddle to bleed with one of those cheapy kits off e-bay. Really glad i've swapped.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:12 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not really sure how good the design is of the 6 pot calipers (even ignoring their quick seize habits). Are they that rigid ?

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Not really sure how good the design is of the 6 pot calipers (even ignoring their quick seize habits). Are they that rigid ?

All the best

Keith

I wondered about that. It's also my opinion that smaller diameter pistons/bores running the same kind of seal sizes will be more prone to failure. Too big ditto. I reckon there's a sweet spot between and the 4-potters are in the right ball-park.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:26 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

I wondered about that. It's also my opinion that smaller diameter pistons/bores running the same kind of seal sizes will be more prone to failure. Too big ditto. I reckon there's a sweet spot between and the 4-potters are in the right ball-park.

Honestly don't know on that point. Not sure on the seal dimensions and whether the clearance is bigger / smaller to be affect differently by a build up of corrosion. Might well be that the 6 small pistons have a bigger edge area providing more friction for the same piston area.

All the best

Keith

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radial conversion is bettererer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the same calipers as I've got, but it makes you think. Why would they try to fabricate 6 pots, it seems to me like, it was just a experiment, today no one does 6 or even 8 pots (I've seen 8 pot caliper on a race NSR125), because the 4 pot layout is just about right. It's quite like we know, that in-line four cylinder is the best way to go with a four stroke engine, yet there were in-line 6's, V4's V6's even V8's and every one that wanted to have profit went back to the IL4.

EDIT: I know a GP500 motorcycle was lighter than most of motorcycles on the road today, but then, they went much faster, braked much harder than anyone of us on the open road. Thumbs Up

https://silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Honda-RS1000RW-1.jpg

stu_m
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:47 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Honestly don't know on that point. Not sure on the seal dimensions and whether the clearance is bigger / smaller to be affect differently by a build up of corrosion. Might well be that the 6 small pistons have a bigger edge area providing more friction for the same piston area.

All the best

Keith

Its the dust seals that cause most of the problems on the 6 potters

they are only thin so you do get little friction but the groves aren't very deep and are right near the edge too and all the crap can easily get behind them

the dust seals are actually thinner then the ones in the nissin calipers

the piston size is 4x27mm and 2x24mm in each caliper coupled to a 5/8 M/C

this is a set of calipers I got to have a look atthese are fit for the scrap pile IMO
On on of the middle pics you may be able to see the seals??

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=10006
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 141 days between these two posts...

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, it was time to fit the ''new'' Nissin four pots on my ZXR. So far they seem to be alright. One thing though, the bolts that hold it in the place are rather short, but other than that, I am pleased with them.

I couldn't ride it yet, it'd be stupid to ride it with too short bolts. But, nothing was dragging, everything looked good, so I think this is the last time I'm fiddling with calipers.

37.80 pounds Thumbs Up

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/ZX7R/DSC_2530_zpsv5oxu2no.jpg

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/ZX7R/DSC_2529_zpsea9xkqte.jpg

These are the old ones
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/ZX7R/DSC_0167_zps8bb4de28.jpg

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took you two years to get this done? Laughing

Edit: The ZX7R is a lovely looking back. I'm due to get a new bike this month and have my eyes on these.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5