Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I just got two free lids.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

scorpia4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: I just got two free lids. Reply with quote

My friend went to a car boot sale today and got me a couple of old shoei helmets. To say the least I'm pretty chuffed with them. Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:07 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left one looks sun damaged. The shell will be compromised. I'd say the same for the right one too. They both look like '90s designs, I wouldn't trust them on my head to be honest. Not when you can get a certified new polycarbonate lid for £25.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpia4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The left one looks sun damaged. The shell will be compromised. I'd say the same for the right one too. They both look like '90s designs, I wouldn't trust them on my head to be honest. Not when you can get a certified new polycarbonate lid for £25.

96 and 98. Their not sun damaged its just the lighting. But I got them for freeeeee.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpia4 wrote:
MarJay wrote:

96 and 98. Their not sun damaged its just the lighting. But I got them for freeeeee.

Either way they are well past their shelf life. Don't use them!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:25 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpia4 wrote:

I see your sig, I think of you wearing a lid that is at least 12 years over it's use by date, and I think of Darwin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpia4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
scorpia4 wrote:

I see your sig, I think of you wearing a lid that is at least 12 years over it's use by date, and I think of Darwin.

Haha think what you want. It looks like they've barely been used and all my accidents are low speed, not getting into any high speed collisions yet, especially on my 125. Just checked the flexibility of the lids and their both fine, not brittle at all.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpia4 wrote:
Just checked the flexibility of the lids and their both fine, not brittle at all.

Irrelevant. Don't use them.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpia4 wrote:

Haha think what you want. It looks like they've barely been used and all my accidents are low speed, not getting into any high speed collisions yet, especially on my 125. Just checked the flexibility of the lids and their both fine, not brittle at all.

What do you expect them to do, break down into flakes in your hands? Confused

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the OP doesn't have anything inside his head worth protecting.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't helmets meant to be replaced every five years, or when dropped.. (one time use and all).

I do question how you'd be %100 sure that it hasn't been dropped (even if not scratched.. comparing the offered protection).

Although at the same time I've always read that second hand helmets are a big no no, even for free I assume.

Could hang them on a wall for display?

scorpia4 wrote:
all my accidents are low speed

Ok then.. Shocked

How many times do you intend to crash or have? Confused Shocked

scorpia4 wrote:
not getting into any high speed collisions yet

Can still get potato'd at the legal speed limit.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpia4 wrote:

I really hope this is a troll account.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpia4 wrote:
Just checked the flexibility of the lids and their both fine, not brittle at all.

Arh... the famous prod test, an industry standard Wink

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 03:04 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one sure way to see if they're safe and that's to put them on and get a mate to whack you across the bonce with a mallet Thumbs Up as many times as necessary, what good is a helmet that can't take more than one hit Confused because unlike lightning which doesn't strike twice Confused Neutral you're bound to smack the same spot on the helmet a coupla times when you roll down the road Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:10 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. Can you afford the £25 it'll cost you to get a NEW lid? If so, find one that fits well, and buy it. If not leave the bike in the garage or shed and walk.
I understand you're liking the fact they were decent hats but the important phrase there is were.
The would look brilliant as ornaments in a garage, but that's it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:42 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did your mate waste on these?
I know everything tastes better when its free but old second hand lids and the flu are the exceptions to the rule.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant believe you are even thinking of sticking them on your head Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:43 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

£30 Viper helmet.

Write "SHOEI" in it with a water based marker.

Women will want you, men will want to be you.

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we agree on one thing - don't spend more on a crash helmet than what your head is worth.

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even wear a helmet for town riding if the law allowed, so you can probably guess I'd be quite happy to wear these if they were comfortable for low speed rides.

I've seen the crappy quality of Lidl/Aldi lids in person, and I struggle to believe an old Shoei would perform worse, in a real life crash, than one of them. I can believe they won't perform as well as when they were new, but they'll still offer some protection - perhaps more than an ill-fitting brand new helmet, if they fit him well. The level of protection the OP is happy with is up to him.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:14 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
I really hope this is a troll account.

You used your lid as a tent peg hammer Laughing

Rogerborg wrote:
£30 Viper helmet.

Write "SHOEI" in it with a water based marker.

Women will want you, men will want to be you.

Chinbar will still fail when you hit the lorry and leave you with a broken jaw, hardly any teeth and two skull fractures. I'm really not convinced on Viper lids...I reckon he'd have about even chances in the ancient Shoei's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

covent.gardens wrote:
I've seen the crappy quality of Lidl/Aldi lids in person

What, all of them?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only crashed 6 times so far

+ elderly helmet
= trainee cadaver.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:
I'd wear them.

Cool

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadwolf wrote:
There's only one sure way to see if they're safe and that's to put them on and get a mate to whack you across the bonce with a mallet Thumbs Up as many times as necessary, what good is a helmet that can't take more than one hit Confused because unlike lightning which doesn't strike twice Confused Neutral you're bound to smack the same spot on the helmet a coupla times when you roll down the road Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Actually lightning is more likely to hit the same spot twice.

https://stormhighway.com/lightning_never_strikes_the_same_place_twice_myth.php
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2