Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'99 R1 Gearbox Rebuild

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: '99 R1 Gearbox Rebuild Reply with quote

Hi.
Early R1's suffer from the dogs wearing out extremely quickly which causes them to jump out of 2nd gear when under power. Not only does it jump out but it causes damage to other components as well.
I'm surprised mine hasn't gone earlier to be honest as it's done 20,000 miles and I used to go up to London on it regularly.

Here's the engine with the bottom case removed. You have to remove all cases,oil pump,clutch and sump.
This is the only way to remove the gearbox. The engine is worked on upside down. No gasket is used between the cases either!
https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0050.JPG

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0051.JPG

Damage to the selector fork.

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0047.JPG

Damage to the guide in the selector drum.

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0048.JPG

Drive for 2nd comes from engaging with 6th. Here's the damage to the dogs on 6th. Notice the 45º chamfer on the left side of the dog.

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0054.JPG

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0055.JPG

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0053.JPG

And finally the damge to the engagement holes on 2nd.

https://www.spyderman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/BikePics/DSCF0052.JPG

One thing that was surprisingly easy was getting the engine out of the frame.
The new parts have 5 dogs as opposed to 3 and a slight undercut to prevent this happening again. I'll do a side by side when the new bits arrive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therein lies the problem and answer, if it'd been a '98 R1 Chuck Norris would have been round and done it for you...

Fairplay though as for me to attempt something like that I'd have needed two weeks to think about it, another week to stand there looking at it scratching my arse, then when I attempted it, copius amounts of tea and cigarettes... Thumbs Up

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
Therein lies the problem and answer, if it'd been a '98 R1 Chuck Norris would have been round and done it for you...

Fairplay though as for me to attempt something like that I'd have needed two weeks to think about it, another week to stand there looking at it scratching my arse, then when I attempted it, copius amounts of tea and cigarettes... Thumbs Up

My dad was supposed to help me but he had a Neil Buchanan so I really didn't have an option. Once you get stuck in it's ok.
I have had lots of tea and smokes though Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell that looks an arse to work on!

I'm not surprised litre bikes do that to the lower gears of bikes with the amount of power they have. Last time i bought some gears they were about £45 per cog, the selector fork shouldnt be quite so bad, but that barrel is going to be expensive me thinks. Problem is that a 2nd hand gearbox might be in just as bad condition. Confused

Cheaper than getting a new bike, or getting a mechanic to do it though i suppose. Once its done you will at least be safe in the knowlege that its not going to need doing again.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Bloody hell that looks an arse to work on!

I'm not surprised litre bikes do that to the lower gears of bikes with the amount of power they have. Last time i bought some gears they were about £45 per cog, the selector fork shouldnt be quite so bad, but that barrel is going to be expensive me thinks. Problem is that a 2nd hand gearbox might be in just as bad condition. Confused

Cheaper than getting a new bike, or getting a mechanic to do it though i suppose. Once its done you will at least be safe in the knowlege that its not going to need doing again.

That is indeed the dilema I faced. There was a complete one on ebay that went for £150. I was in two minds for ages then decided that new items was best as the ebay one might be damaged. Even if it was fine I would probably have to buy new 2nd and 6th anyway as it probably had the old type that eventually slip.
New parts is at least peace of mind as well.
It would have cost me well over £1000 if I had taken it to a mechanic to do due to labour. Gears are £51 for 2nd and £60 for 6th.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:11 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No gasket is used between the cases either!

I assume you mean they don't have a paper based gasket. Youre aware they use a silicone sealant gasket?

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 12 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamabond I take it? Can't remeber the code for it but it's supposed to wicked stuff.

Joe

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 13 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

400bandit wrote:
Yamabond I take it? Can't remeber the code for it but it's supposed to wicked stuff.

Joe

That's the one Smile

Reuben wrote:

I assume you mean they don't have a paper based gasket. Youre aware they use a silicone sealant gasket?

Quite a few people who watched me were surprised they don't have them. Was just for those who don't know.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 312 days between these two posts...

sloppy2ndgear
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:10 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: '99 R1 Gearbox Rebuild Reply with quote

[quote="Fortuna"
The new parts have 5 dogs as opposed to 3 and a slight undercut to prevent this happening again. I'll do a side by side when the new bits arrive.[/quote]

Hi mate i hope you see this and reply because i am in need of your help. I just have one simple question that no1 can answer for me except you it seems lol. When you ordered the 5dog instead of 3dog gears, did you order the part number on the 5jj parts manual and the 5 dogs came instead of 3 dogs or was there a completely different part number that you used?

Will love you forever if you can remember!

Thanks in advance!

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:11 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads nearly six years old & he's not been on here since 08 Jan 2014... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth dropping him a PM, some people get an email notification when a PM arrives.

sloppy2ndgear
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:40 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
Threads nearly six years old & he's not been on here since 08 Jan 2014... Confused

thats how desperate i am loooooooll

will pm him now did not think of that Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1