Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2012 Honda CBR 125R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Xanthos
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:50 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: 2012 Honda CBR 125R Reply with quote

Hi, so in two weeks ill be 17, ive been riding a piaggio zip 50 for a year now and have upgraded to a honda cbr. I just want to ask for some tips on bike maintenance, not tuning or derestricting etc, the bike is in great condition and I want to keep it that way, id like to find out good methods of protecting the paintwork, frame, chain, keeping the bike clean, etc so it wont loose its value when I come to sell it. If anyone knows what bulbs go in the headlights that would be helpfull too, I want to get some ice whites but am not sure on wattage or volts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynes Manual;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CBR125-CRF250L-Service-Repair-Manual/dp/0857339192/ref=pd_cp_b_0

Might be worth phoning Honda to get a quote for a price of the bulbs and figment (if you don't want to do it yourself) although OEM parts + getting them to fit it will probably cost a fair amount more than like for like parts and DIY.

All the other maintenance tasks you ask about have been discussed many times in there own threads.

As for paintwork and frame I assume it's metal as opposed to cheap plastics, either way just be careful when putting into and out of storage as well as parking, all the scratches I have are from the above Doh!

The haynes manual will help with telling you what to and when to adjust your chain (very important) and then you'll learn how to clean and lube it after a couple of attempts (don't make the rookie mistake of spraying the fluids all over your rear brake and back wheel Shocked ).

finchy95
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:41 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular services. Find your local honda dealer/other garage and get a quote for a service, play them off against eachother until you get it as cheaply as possible, Keep an eye on the chain, adjust and lube/clean once a week. Don't hoon it into a tree. Thumbs Up

EDIT: I'd recommend using muc off cleaning products. Keeps it fucking gleaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:36 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

finchy95 wrote:
Find your local honda dealer/other garage and get a quote for a service

£45 an hour for dumping the oil on a 3 year old out-of-warranty 125? Laughing

If you want stamps in the book for the next owner's "peace of mind", £7.15 gets you a custom "4911" ink stamp from eBay saying anything that you like.

Oil every 1000 miles - I don't know or care what the scheduled interval is, it's a 125 with an internal oil strainer. Do it frequently with the money you don't give to Honda-san.

Change the plug, air filter, coolant and brake fluid when you get it, all for less than the cost of a dealer trainee over-tightening your sump plug.

Lube and tension the chain as necessary.

ACF-50 in Autumn.

Wash it when you sell it.

finchy95
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Yes I know, but they at least claim to check everything over properly. Get it done professionally, then keep up the maintenance yourself. Given that it's a three year old learner bike it's probably been a bit thrashed about.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

finchy95 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Yes I know, but they at least claim to check everything over properly.

Victor Devine /thread.

finchy95 wrote:
Given that it's a three year old learner bike it's probably been a bit thrashed about.

Exactly why I'd DIY it, so that I know it's been done.

finchy95
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:33 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Victor Devine /thread

Holy mother of sweet zombie jesus. That's one sketchy as fuck dude. Yep, service your own mate. Looks like I'm about to start doing it too.

Gra
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:47 - 23 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the advice on ACF-50. Other brands are available but not as many ratings. Clean and polish the bike, degrease and lube the chain, do your other maintenance bits as advised above and then coat everything, I mean everything( not brakes or clutch) in ACF 50. Polish it into paintwork and enjoy. This stuff won't stop the dirt collecting but protects against corrosion, rust and stops dirt taking hold. When you wash off the daily dirt it will still gleam and still protect. Fairly pricey but worth every penny IMO.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 23 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda dealer near me uses a semi-synthetic 10w40 oil when the service your bike. I asked the guy who was changing it on my bike. He pointed to the huge barrel in the corner and said told me that everything got what was in there.

Go to euro-car-parts and use a cheap semi synth or synth 10w40 in summer, change it every 1000 miles. It takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Wipe the chain down quickly with a rag every 300 miles, and then squirt a few drops of 85w90 gear oil along the chain.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1