Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Last week I did done buy...(MT-09)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Last week I did done buy...(MT-09) Reply with quote

one of these!!

(excuse the finger in the first pic)

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/Spikenipple/MT09/IMG_3067_zpsaogd6bdl.jpg

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/Spikenipple/MT09/IMG_3070_zpst1mc4nf7.jpg

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/Spikenipple/MT09/IMG_3069_zpssxyilncv.jpg

Ex-demo with 371 miles on the clock for £1k off of list price with a free fly screen (fitted today with it's first service)!

I'm chuffed to bits Mr. Green Mr. Green

Last edited by spikenipple on 16:58 - 20 May 2015; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good right? You have to try one to understand how good that motor is Thumbs Up

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:27 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Tracer for a test-ride on Thursday, bought this on Friday!!
I was expecting it to have less grunt than my Firestorm, but it feels bloody fantastic Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat my boi.

Triples will be the only engines on the road soon, you'll see Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to get some more noise out of this thing, but a full system is £600 Sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:41 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

You have no idea how much flak MarJay used to get for posting such opinions. Razz

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikenipple wrote:
I really need to get some more noise out of this thing, but a full system is £600 Sad

Carbon akra system is £525 ish from italy, luckily the stock exhaust isnt as quiet as it could of been, so it will do for now... Dont fancy chopping my system for a silencer

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

You have no idea how much flak MarJay used to get for posting such opinions. Razz

He's clearly a visionary.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:24 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

I'm taller.

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:54 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
Spikenipple wrote:

Carbon akra system is £525 ish from italy, luckily the stock exhaust isnt as quiet as it could of been, so it will do for now... Dont fancy chopping my system for a silencer

Yeah it doesn't sound toooooo bad, but my Firestorm has straight-through Leo Vinci cans putting out 110dB at 5000RPM.
The MT-09 is like a sewing machine in comparison Mr. Green

It would be nice to drop 8kg off of the weight too, not that bike is heavy as it is!

Did you find the akra system on carpimoto?

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but it was definatley on Ebay for that and free shipping, a few guys off the forum went ahead and it was here within a week...

If only i had the cash right now

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikenipple wrote:

Can't you just get a can on it?

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go into a bike shop and see one of these bikes I do have a good look. They are nice Thumbs Up

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:32 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Spikenipple wrote:

Can't you just get a can on it?

Yeah but you have to cut the 'backbox' off just behind the lambda sensor, and a can is still the best bit of £250.

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:06 - 20 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update for anyone that cares.
Having owned this bike for just under 6 weeks and 1000 miles, I'm beginning to get a proper feel for what it's like to ride in various situations.

The suspension is decent for the commute, a piss about or a bit of a scratch, but not for rough roads or fast riding.
The rear shock is horribly underdamped, to the extent that if you go over a large bump (or get air...) you get the bounce twice. I've upped the preload one level and wound the damping up to max, which has made a bit of difference but not the amount I would expect, given how low the damping is set from the factory.

The bike initially had a lot of front-end dive on braking, but I've dialled the worst of it out by upping the preload to 4 marks from max (6.4mm depth adjuster-fork cap hex) and turned the damping up to 1/2 turn from maximum.

Again, the bike is great to ride in general, but I'm a bit disappointed in it's handling capabilities when you push it.

The engine is an absolute peach. It's a brilliant all-rounder with guts right from the bottom end.
The throttle is snatchy in STD and A modes despite having the latest Yamaha map. B mode is lovely and smooth from closed to open throttle, but power is reduced throughout the map so I don't want to use it during normal riding conditions.
It would be great if STD mode had the first 1-2% from B mode, so the bike is nicer to ride out of the box.
It has developed a bit of a top-end rattle and clutch rumble (in neutral, clutch out) when it's hot. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took it in for it's first service, and the bloke told me they adjusted the cam chain tensioner. Interesting, as the bike has an automatic adjuster... Rolling Eyes
I'll keep my ears open in case it gets any worse.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the bike. Next up, saving for that exhaust...

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch rattle when disengaged is a yamaha thing i'm told.

I'd reccomend an 02 controller from a man called kev for £70 on ebay, it transforms the throttle repsonse..

Suspension is the weak point on this bike but i've dialled most of it out - 2 rings showing on front forks, one turn from full on screw. 5 on the shock and the screw the same as the forks.

But for the price i'm over the moon. Thumbs Up

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send me a link to that item?
'a man called kev on ebay' is a bit vague Laughing

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 20 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your on facebook, join the mt09 owners group, they are a good bunch.

I cant see them on ebay anymore but they was last week - sign up the the forum and he can sort you one out. They just plug inline to the lambda sensor. Takes 15 minutes.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fit a classic/retro round headlight on it and then it'd be cool. The engine sells the bike, I guess. Thumbs Up

The headlight Yamaha used on these is just awful.

Looks great from the side, not the front though. Thumbs Down

Spikenipple wrote:

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 21 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree there. The MT09 motor is a creamy triple gem by all accounts, but the looks and styling is not either retro enough to be cool for me, or trick enough like an aggressive naked R1 with Renthals etc.

The MT07 is a better looking bike and better finished than the 9 IMO, and is my fave MT after the 03 and 01.

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:24 - 21 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The looks are certainly improved with a fly screen and a tail tidy.
I've got a screen fitted but tail-tidies are pretty expensive so it'll have to wait.
I also made a pair of swingarm bobbins for the paddock stand.

I'll give it a clean on the weekend and put another pic up Mr. Green

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr163/TgaTrucker/Mobile%20Uploads/image_13.jpg

https://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr163/TgaTrucker/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14.jpg

Tail tidy
Screen
Fork sliders
Paddock stand bobbins
Radiator guard
Radiator side covers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1