Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is your fastest erection time?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: What is your fastest erection time? Reply with quote

Tents. Do you have, or know of, any basic tents which can be put together in less than 5 minutes.
I'm thinking 4 pegs, 2 poles and done.

I have one, it's a Vango Tempest 200. It's incredibly compact and weighs nothing. It has loads of clever design features, has always been dry and can handle a good amount of wind. I'm genuinely very impressed with it.

However, it has 3 poles, a ground sheet, 8 corner pegs, 4 guy pegs, a fly sheet.
Apparently it can be put up in under 10 minutes. Always takes me nearer 30 I think!

It's fine for pitching and using as a base. But I would really like something quick and dirty. Something where the stop each day is a different site and after many hours in the saddle the last thing you want to be doing is titting about with umpteen bags of poles, pegs, sheets etc Equally to get going in the morning, 5mins and off.

I really like the idea of the pop-up tents, but with a compacted diameter of 100cm I would struggle to fit that onto bike and bomb along at 90+ without it flying off like Oddjobs hat Smile

Suggestions appreciated Thumbs Up

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-i-pop-up-tent-1-man-green-id_8302226.html

Only 61cm diameter:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good, have you used one?

At 60cm, I could sit that vertically against the back of the topbox and run a bungee around the base of the topbox, that should keep it in place.

Cool, thanks Smile

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
That looks pretty good, have you used one?

At 60cm, I could sit that vertically against the back of the topbox and run a bungee around the base of the topbox, that should keep it in place.

Cool, thanks Smile

Ain't used one but viewed them in store often enough, really tempted but have too many tents.

Stinkwheel might be along soon, I'd trust his opinion, damn good spec tent imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flikers
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:21 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my mate use a three man pop up tent when in Germany.

Less than 5 minutes to get up, 15 minutes to get back in its bag.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Regatta pull up tent I used for the first time last year.
Most excellent in some pretty heavy rain and extremely quick to erect/take down.
I'd say from unpacking to habitable is definitely less than 5mins, more like 3.
Pack away probably 7-8mins and that's a noob camper with no practice.

Comfortably fits a double inflatable mattress with room for all my shooting gear.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:59 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fault I have with my queshqua 1 man tent is that rain can get in when you open the door.

I believe they have made a little "peak" thing on the newer models to help prevent this.

Plenty of room inside for me and my bike gear. You couldn't cook in it, porch is practically non-existant. The pack size is a bit big still but not totally unmanageable, it's narrower than the bike with panniers fitted. Double skinned so midge proof but also not a total sweat-box like the single-skinners.

With practice, my Banshee 200 could be put up in a very short time. 2 poles, 12 pegs as I recall. In reality it is smaller than the popup but pack size is very neat.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a vango tempest up in less than 10 minutes. It's just a matter of practice.

Keep the inner and outer together, snap the poles together, push them though, peg out the back, then peg out the front, then the guys.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gelert vertigo. Weighs very little (less than 3kg if memory serves). Inner and outer pitch as one so the inside stays dry if it's raining when you put it up. But the real gem is how you erect it. Peg 4 corners, expand the attached telescopic poles (2 of), peg the guy ropes, peg the remaining 10 or so points on the outer layer and climb in. My record is 132 seconds, but that was not long after breaking my collar bone so didn't have full use of my left arm. Confident I could it up in under 2min with a bit of practice.

Putting away is pretty quick too. Undo all the pegs, collapse the poles, couple of natty folds and roll it up around the poles. Plenty of space inside, opens up in 4 different directions so you can dodge the wind even if it changes direction after you've pitched up and it's quite cheap now that it is old stock. Very waterproof from what I've found as well.

Hth

Edit:

Other half reminded me that I did once get it up in a minute and a half. So yeah, very quick to pitch. Have a look on sports direct, they were doing then for 40quid or so.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, much appreciated. I've decided to go with the Queshqua 2-man tent. It's only 5cm wider packed down than the 1 man.

Planning on using this in Ireland, never been but hoping to go with some BCF people in August, then there is the BCF BBQ immediately after (on the way home in fact). So it's a week of camping at different sites each night potentially. £45 and it should save me huge amounts in hotels / B&B costs.

The Gelert Vertigo looks halfway between the two (Tempest 200 vs Queshqua 2 second). It's pack size would make it easier to carry, but I'm going to try the pop-up approach.

Recman, which Regatta was it out of interest?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 18 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these but I only paid £40 for it in an Argos sale last year.
Doesn't look like they sell it any more.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regatta-Deluxe-4-Man-Pop-Up-Tent-/371262266694

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 19 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop up tents are OK as long as it doesn't rain and isn't windy, as they leak and fall over.

Pop up tent's are ideal if you want to camp in your living room. Not much else

Of all of the tent's discussed in this thread, the vango tempest is the best, especially when you are going to be carrying it on a bike. Just learn to put it up a bit quicker. and keep the fly and inner together when you pack it up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:06 - 19 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alans Snackbar wrote:
Pop up tents are OK as long as it doesn't rain and isn't windy, as they leak and fall over.

Pop up tent's are ideal if you want to camp in your living room. Not much else

Of all of the tent's discussed in this thread, the vango tempest is the best, especially when you are going to be carrying it on a bike. Just learn to put it up a bit quicker. and keep the fly and inner together when you pack it up.

Queshcua ones don't.

Massive hydrostatic head. Utterly waterproof and very wind stable if you peg out the guyropes.

I've camped in mine in some diabolical weather.

Nobody died this night, two were in queshcua popups. Even with the extra 6" of drifting snow that fell.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/cimg0473.jpg

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 19 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quechua pop-up has 2000HH, it won't leak.
For strong winds/gusts I would guy it out fully.
For extra stability for bad conditions I would leave permanently attached extra guy lines so that I could batten down a bit extra, I leave extra guys ropes on all my tents, takes up tiny space/weight.

Pegs and guy ropes:

https://www.poundland.co.uk/summer/camping-and-festivals

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.3secs.
But it was a misunderstanding. Her sister was only joining us for a threesome 'lunch-wise' Embarassed

Oh, sorry. another misunderstanding.... Embarassed

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:04 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/lJGijdp.jpg

Tent at the front takes next to no time to put up.

It turned out to be a good place to get to watch local wildlife.

https://i.imgur.com/bi3bSmm.jpg

Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:13 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terra Nova, Laser Competition 1, goes up real fast, packs small, sleeps two good friends ( Wink ) and with titanium pegs (personal upgrade) weighs well under a kilo - ideal for carrying on a bike Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Terra Nova, Laser Competition 1, goes up real fast, packs small, sleeps two good friends ( Wink ) and with titanium pegs (personal upgrade) weighs well under a kilo - ideal for carrying on a bike Smile

I've always considered pack size rather than weight to be the most important think for a motorcycling tent. Within reason, weight is irrelevant, I'm not carrying it, the bike is.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

I've always considered pack size rather than weight to be the most important think for a motorcycling tent. Within reason, weight is irrelevant, I'm not carrying it, the bike is.

Not very well worded on my part....packs into a nice small space, I usually chuck it in my top box with loads of space to spare for other things like sleeping bag, stove, etc Very Happy

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Tornado-Man-Tent-Excalibur/dp/B00132D902

And after a bit of practice at home, I took it to the Pyrenees for a weeks off road jaunt and could erect it in 5 minutes, and drop/ pack it in around the same time.

Thumbs Up

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Nice tent, but £250 Shocked

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carried this tent on the bike shown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGWX8wibz4

Goes up and folds down in seconds. No pegs needed in normal conditions - just chuck some kit in.
This is a 'blackout' version which does work pretty well at blocking light compared to 'normal' tents.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Yeah, they're really designed for walking/trekking, hence expensive, lightweight materials (and paying for the name Rolling Eyes) Similar thing to my Vaude. They do transfer across to biking well, but I wouldn't spend that much purely for biking, and have other, cheaper options for that.

The Vaude also goes up with inner and outer together. I'd at least look for something that pitches outer first, so you can quickly throw it up if you arrive at your destination in pissing rain. Chuck kit inside, dive in out of the weather. Can then fit the inner later in a break in the weather.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Terra Nova, Laser Competition 1

Northern Monkey wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:
Yeah, they're really designed for walking/trekking, hence expensive, lightweight materials (and paying for the name Rolling Eyes)

Yup, true but I have a budget for one good tent rather than several shite ones that only last a few outings (Is the VauDe much cheaper, that's also a good manufacturer?) Generally with tents if you want something that'll last well it means better quality materials which you will pay a premium for. If you don't mind weight and can do a bit more size, the Quaser is an awesome bit of kit (and has been for many years, although the more modern models are not as well constructed as the originals)

...And it means I can tour on the bike as well as park it up out of the way and go native in the hills.

I've rigged it to pitch in about 2 1/2 minutes and having the inner fixed (it can be pitched separately) to the outer means that it's not going to get too wet unless it's proper hammering down or you haven't practised in a dry back garden beforehand!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Yup, true but I have a budget for one good tent rather than several shite ones that only last a few outings (Is the VauDe much cheaper, that's also a good manufacturer)

I've rigged it to pitch in about 2 1/2 minutes and having the inner fixed (it can be pitched separately) to the outer means that it's not going to get too wet unless it's proper hammering down or you haven't practised in a dry back garden beforehand!

No, the Vaude wasn't cheap, but I bought it specifically for hill/long-distance walking. I'm not getting any younger so I needed something very light, and it fitted a lot of other criteria I was looking for. Certainly have had my money's worth from it (although a mouse or something chewed a hole in the inner to get at a choccy bar - bastard! Laughing ).

With the modern lightweight materials, I found it doesn't really matter if it all gets a bit wet. A few minutes pitched in dry conditions and it's dry as a bone.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2