Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

johnte
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 24 May 2015    Post subject: New here ... Reply with quote

Evening everyone..

First post Wink

After waiting 30 years to do this (I'm 53 now) I finally got round to doing my CBT a couple of weeks ago, also got theory booked for 12th June.
I bought myself a £500 Varadero + £75 insurance + £17 road tax = cheap transport Middle Finger

I'm tempted to go for the intensive 3 or 4 day course and take my test, or would it be better to get a bit of road miles on the 125 first ?

I'm not desperately interested in flying round everywhere flat out, but I do live on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors, and do like just touring round..

Thanks

Graham B
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.
I had a Varadero and loved it.
Recommend intensive DAS then a larger bike.
Know what you mean about the speed thing, living in the Cotswolds I love the country lanes.
Varadero was fab but the 600cc now just gives the extra bit to overtake if needed.

johnte
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 24 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.. Middle Finger

I know you're probably right about the bigger bike. But to be honest it's such a long time since I've done any type of exam, the whole thing scares me a bit Crying or Very sad

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:37 - 24 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the DAS.
Because you don't need to pass as you don't mind pottering on the 125 it will take away some of the stress and make it easier.
I kept my 125 for a year even after passing.There is no hurry to get rid.
Now I have a bike that can go quick but I only ride it that way now and again.Varadero's are pretty good really and can get you about at a reasonable pace.

Tinkz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 24 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnte wrote:

I know you're probably right about the bigger bike. But to be honest it's such a long time since I've done any type of exam, the whole thing scares me a bit Crying or Very sad

Welcome, I'm in much the same position as you so think its going to be a DAS course for me too Laughing Sat and passed my theory in February, get the Hazard perception DVD it really helped me out the multiple choice is mainly common sense with some BIKE specific questions thrown in. a wee bit of revision and you'll walk it Mr. Green

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnte wrote:

Might want to pop your glasses on when selecting emoticons Thumbs Up
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:44 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnte wrote:

Hai!!

[img]nobcat.jpg[/img]

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
johnte wrote:

Maybe he's dyslexic? Thinking

Or, Tourette's?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnte
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
johnte wrote:

Whoops sorry Embarassed Embarassed

Meant to say Thumbs Up

You're right about the glasses

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday Biker wrote:
Do the DAS.
Because you don't need to pass as you don't mind pottering on the 125 it will take away some of the stress and make it easier.
I kept my 125 for a year even after passing.There is no hurry to get rid.
Now I have a bike that can go quick but I only ride it that way now and again.Varadero's are pretty good really and can get you about at a reasonable pace.

Absolutely this. I got into biking aged 46, not having done any kind of exam or test since I was 18. None of it's difficult. With a practice DVD a pot plant could pass the theory/hazard test, Mod1 is about as difficult as what you did on your Raleigh Chopper in 1976, and Mod2 is just an easy trundle around streets you probably know like the back of your hand with a human sat nav giving you instructions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mase101
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:32 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the DAS mate. I live near Leyburn in the moors and to be fair you need more power than a 125... Plenty of dodgy junctions/tractors/old people on holiday etc. etc. The extra power is beneficial in so many ways.

I had a 125 field bike when I was around 14 for about 6 months, and a ped for a year when I was 16, but other than that I just went straight to my DAS at 27, got that out the way and got a 600.

Fantastic place to have a bike, some of the roads/views are out of this world! Good luck Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:52 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New here ... Reply with quote

johnte wrote:
I bought myself a £500 Varadero

Wow, that's pretty good going. Have you checked the front sprocket? Thinking

johnte
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New here ... Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
johnte wrote:
I bought myself a £500 Varadero

Wow, that's pretty good going. Have you checked the front sprocket? Thinking

I have actually changed chain / sprockets, then took it for MOT. Straight through, so now got 13 months Very Happy

Bought bike, taxed,MOT'd, insured and CBT for under £750 - so happy with that really Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:51 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty darn boss right there.

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your front sprocket isn't welded on, and you don't mind losing a bit of top speed, try fitting a 13 tooth front sprocket (JTF327-13) for dealing with hills more efectively.

After de-restricting mine, I also use a 15 tooth front sprocket (JTF327-15) for longer journeys to keep the revs down.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnte wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Whoops sorry Embarassed Embarassed

Meant to say Thumbs Up

You're right about the glasses

LOL You fucking plum. Very Happy Well done on getting a good bike for 500 quid. Take the test as you will soon get board of the lack of speed on the 125. By that i dont mean getting from A to B as quick as possible i am talking about overtaking, hill, headwinds and the likes. Even if you were to jump on a 500 twin you would find a huge difference but less intimidating than say jumping on an 16v IL4. Most of all is you enjoy the 125 for a week or two and get used to what it can and cant do Thumbs Up < Thumbs up just in case you dont have your specks on. Razz

Blobber
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you I've waited sometime before getting on a bike (I'm 59), I had my CBT last year and bought a YBR125, which has helped with my confidence. It's strange how when you get older your confidence seems to go, and also like you I've got my theory/hazard test next week 9th. Hopefully when I pass, I am going to my local training school and sign up for the DAS course. But I would say that riding around on the 125 has helped with the basics, so if your happy with your 125, ride around on it for a few months, then go for the DAS.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnte wrote:

So thankful you gave everyone the bird. Wink Laughing

Welcome to the forum.
Enjoy your new freedom that is motorbikes. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Thumbs Up <- note: thumbs up!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New here ... Reply with quote

johnte wrote:
Evening everyone..

First post Wink

After waiting 30 years to do this (I'm 53 now) I finally got round to doing my CBT a couple of weeks ago, also got theory booked for 12th June.
I bought myself a £500 Varadero + £75 insurance + £17 road tax = cheap transport Middle Finger

I'm tempted to go for the intensive 3 or 4 day course and take my test, or would it be better to get a bit of road miles on the 125 first ?

I'm not desperately interested in flying round everywhere flat out, but I do live on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors, and do like just touring round..

Thanks

£500 for a varadero Shocked

You lucky bastard, those bike seem to stay around the £1.5k - £2k mark - well they did when I was trying to get my hands on one.

Come to the BBQ!!! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1