Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Digital Camera for around £100-200 what should I buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:23 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Digital Camera for around £100-200 what should I buy? Reply with quote

I am after a decent Camera to take pictures of bikes mainly but also other vehicles and scenery probably not many of people though (if that makes any difference?)

my budget is £100-200 can maybe stretch a little more but not much. I have friends willing to show me how to use a camera properly rather than my current use the phone and press the button when it goes green approach haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Re: Digital Camera for around £100-200 what should I buy? Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
I am after a decent Camera to take pictures of bikes mainly but also other vehicles and scenery probably not many of people though (if that makes any difference?)

Any decent compact point-and-shoot camera will be capable of
taking nice clear images in good daylight. Under more challenging
conditions, there are real advantages to buying a 'better' camera.

As a general rule, the physical size of the image sensor is a
good indication of the quality and performance you can expect
from a camera.

Quote:
my budget is £100-200 can maybe stretch a little more but not much.

That will get you a decent compact or an older used DSLR.

Quote:
I have friends willing to show me how to use a camera properly

If you have a real interest in learing, you will outgrow a basic
camera very quickly. Consider a SH DSLR. These tend to be
reasonablly robust and reliable, but you should understand
that SLRs have many moving parts and there is always some
risk involved. It might be worth paying a little extra to get
one from a reputable camera shop.

DSLRs can be very expensive if you feel the need to buy
extra lenses, flashes, filters, tripod etc....

They can also be a bit bulky to carry on the bike.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

For not a lot of money, and plenty of features to learn from\about, you can pick up lightly used decent cameras with lens(s).

Something like this (pretty good - I have one).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Rebel-XT-8-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Kit-w-/221784597541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a3646425
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going compact - I'd recommend a Sony Cybershot HX9V if you can find one. I've had mine about 3 years now and it's excellent.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the 350D or any SLR really, they are too big and too heavy, and the advantage they used to have is all but gone compared to a mid-range compact camera nowadays. You can't go wrong with a Canon Powershot IMO.
(e.g.)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-PowerShot-S120-12-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Brand-New-UK-/161598377232

But any of the main brands do a very capable camera in your price range.

Last edited by doggone on 15:54 - 27 May 2015; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:53 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going for an SLR spend up a bit more you will get more for your money.

I disagree with the above the 350d is not a 'Pretty good' camera. It's an ancient Entry Level SLR.

You can still take a good photo with it sure, but it's ONLY good point is that it is cheap, it is more or less one of the 'worst' Canon DLSR's, not because it wasn't very good at the time but because it is old and an entry level camera.

£200 will get you a 40d and a lens. That'd be my bet.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a compact, (unless you want a cheap camera with a zoom). I find my Phone knocks out better snaps than most compacts. My iPhone 5S can even rival my Fuji X100 for snaps to post online. The inbuilt image processing on the iphone is so good, the colours look great and the auto HDR is really good.

It really depends what you want to do. My SLR is only really of use for sports (For fast focus SLR's rule), Low light and when I want more control over the image. Unless you are printing images or want to take pictures as a hobby, it stick with a modern phone, especially if it is just for Facebook uploads.

These were both straight out the camera uploaded to FB on my iPhone.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/19504_10153117961593476_2190133483339186381_n.jpg?oh=26086b32ea241f7cd3760355efbf3f1b&oe=560A6076

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11026055_10153116131413476_1771568817235505996_n.jpg?oh=4e7fce4e00aa53c570bf02d168fa5cb4&oe=5604977B

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/11061333_10153115630958476_783772092618298802_n.jpg?oh=f2cd313ad1d55cb86cc10d4e3e79746d&oe=5600A88B&__gda__=1443371040_910de23b890d35c93dd9755ee709ac0b

I'm not saying they are fantastic photos, they are snaps, but look at colours and how it handles dynamic range.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more money, option of interchangeable lenses.

CCS Compact Camera Systems:

https://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-compact-system-camera-2013-the-best-models-reviewed-960832

flikers
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:38 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stand by my DSLR for taking photos. Compacts are all well and good, but the sensors are tiny - yes they have huge MegaPixles, but thats not what gives good quality - its the size of the sensor.

You can get better images from a old 2009 12MP Nikon D90 than a brand new compact thats 30+MP. Don't be fooled by the "more megapixles is better."

Good quality lenses make a HUGE difference too.

For £200, and if you want good images, and want to get into some creative photography i'd be looking at a used Canon 500D, or a Nikon D3000.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but what are you going to do with the shots, they will be put on flickr or facebook or here at 1024 pixels most likely, you don't need something that could be blown up to coverl an office wall.

Spending £100s on an inconveniently large and heavy SLR and lenses is a dead end for most users.
Better get a decent compact that can do RAW and you can afford to update ever 3 or 5 years cos it was only round £200.

It's a bit like another strap line - it's not about how big it is but what you do with it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:52 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

flikers wrote:

Not really, for most people they don't, other than speciality stuff, fast moving/low light, wide angle etc.

I bet 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference of a shot with a £1500 - 50mm f1.2 and a £100 50mm f1.8.

flikers
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:19 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
flikers wrote:

Not really, for most people they don't, other than speciality stuff, fast moving/low light, wide angle etc.

I bet 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference of a shot with a £1500 - 50mm f1.2 and a £100 50mm f1.8.

You are right.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
flikers wrote:

But I bet they would be able to tell the difference between the £100 50mm f1.8 and the standard 18-55 kit lens at 50mm.

If you can live with the heft, a carefully chosen oldish DSLR with the right lens (Doesn't need to be expensive, just needs to be the right tool for the job) will achieve incredible results far beyond the majority of compacts and CCS setups out there. Of course this depends on the shots you want to take, portrait shots and funky fisheye video are a DSLRs stomping ground, if you want a monstrous zoom or proper macro then things can start getting expensive if you're not pretty lucky.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:48 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stretch to around £250, I'd suggest the Sony RX100 (Mark 1 version). It takes very decent pics and is fairly compact. I thought that my £100 Panasonic was pretty good until I got the Sony - big step up in quality. And, if you find that you never use it, they're easy to sell on. Probably one of the best point & shoots.

However, you can still get good cameras for much less and it's probably only worth spending a fair whack if you're really into photography.

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:55 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
chris-red wrote:

But I bet they would be able to tell the difference between the £100 50mm f1.8 and the standard 18-55 kit lens at 50mm.

They are 2 different types of lenses of course there'll be a more noticeable difference, a better comparison would be the 24-70 2.8, which again I'm not convinced average people will notice the difference.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 28 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compact wise I have a Sony HX50 which should be well within budget as its been replaced by the HX60. I bought it at the time as it was number one on Stuff magazines list of compacts for its quick start up and point and shoot ability. Its got a 30x optical zoom and you can wifi your photos to your phone on the spot Wink

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your wanting to get creative...No Brainer DSLR is the only option.. You'll outgrow a compact in no time

A bridge camera is in your price range and offers macro to huge zoom all in one and a bit more manual adjustment

If you want to get a camera that lets you decide what you want, it's going to cost you a bit more but as said above a 500/550d with a cheap 50mm prime can give very professional results......just expect to be spending more in future if you get the bug.

As for the 24-70 2.8 vs kit lens....your joking right?! It's a total no brainer. Kit lens is soft. Inconsistent,lacks contrast and colours are washed out!

chris-red

PostPosted: 08:47 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:

As for the 24-70 2.8 vs kit lens....your joking right?! It's a total no brainer. Kit lens is soft. Inconsistent,lacks contrast and colours are washed out!

And would someone that has never picked up a proper camera before notice this? You say it's soft however only when pixel peeping at the edges could you point this out. an 18-55 on and old DSLR would still produce sharper results that the majority of compacts.

I know where L glass exceeds I've used enough of it, still the majority of people could not tell the difference. When looking at the results.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251972686748?_mwBanner=1

Look ok?

chris-red

PostPosted: 09:28 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:

What does it matter what we think if you have already bought it Laughing

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:32 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if its shit I can always throw it back on ebay. pretty sure it was a good price but is it a good camera and is it a good lense?

chris-red

PostPosted: 09:45 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes with the Standard 18-55 so...

Quote:
Kit lens is soft. Inconsistent,lacks contrast and colours are washed out!

You won't notice this though Wink

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
is it a good lense?

It depends it's far better than anything you would have used so far, but it is literally the worse (current) Canon lens. It'll fine you'll get great shots with it. It's like the stig saying the FXX is MUCH better than the 458 because it can lap the test track 3 seconds quicker. You won't really notice for a while, use the 18-55 to learn what you like shooting and where you find it's limitations are then you can go on to choose the next lens you want fully understanding why you want it.

Everybody says buy the 50mm f1.8 straight away. It is a great lens for the money and is great for portraits however I found it too narrow on a crop frame and the AF sucked had I waited and decided what I really wanted I wouldn't have bought one and gone straight for the Superior (on a Crop sensor) 35mm f2.

For the first year or so the limiting factor on the quality of your photos will be you rather than the gear.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
It comes with the Standard 18-55 so...

Quote:
Kit lens is soft. Inconsistent,lacks contrast and colours are washed out!

You won't notice this though Wink

For a newbie to DSLR's, I'd be more concerned about the shutter count when buying a secondhand digital than the lens qualities -

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll blow the socks off any non DSLR and at that price its a great camera with the scope to do most things!

as far as chris saying people cant tell the difference between that lens and a 24-70 L lens......erm I find even non photo experts can tell the difference, but thats when they are paying for each image TBH and when your doing it as a job you need to know your getting a high hit rate...as a hobby photographer you can take 3 or 4 shots and sort out the good one later. its not that its always crap its the fact its not as good when your printing out at A2+ sizes which you'll rarely do

you still have a setup that's capable of great image quality and I'd have to agree that the 35mm f2 is also a cracking bit of glass and just as good if not better than any £1500+ top of the range L series zooms at the given focal size......even on a full frame camera its sharp right to the edges!!but even thats going to cost you £100 more than your current setup.

you've bought a camera thats able to pay for itself in a couple of hours use once you've got to grips with it and know its sweet spot, the best kind of hobby is one that can pay for itself and you enjoy doing Wink

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
take pictures of bikes mainly but also other vehicles and scenery probably

doggone wrote:
Yes but what are you going to do with the shots,

Best question asked Thumbs Up

But never answered Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2