Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Say you have been overpaid...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:16 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Say you have been overpaid... Reply with quote

It's not me but someone else honest!

So my friend is due an extra payment for travel, to the tune of ~£750 however it has been paid twice! Obviously they can claim it back at any time. I had a couple of questions.

Is there a time after which they can't claim it back?

Is there anything wrong with keeping schtum and holding on to the money in the hope that they do not notice? Obviously denying all knowledge of knowing about it if they find out.

My advice was keep it for a couple of months, then maybe move it to savings and keep it there for a year or so.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move it into a high interesting saving account ... if such thing exists anymore Thumbs Up

Wait for them to make the first move, which will be precisely 10 minutes after you spend it Laughing

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will realise, then deduct it from future earnings. There is nothing to be gained from keeping it, may as well fess up to the mistake and avoid any future issues.

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:39 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with this sort of thing as my job. Unless he works for some Mickey Mouse outfit they will realise and they will get all it back one way or another.

We've had people get paid their whole salary for years and we still got it all back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Move it into a high interesting saving account ... if such thing exists anymore Thumbs Up

Wait for them to make the first move, which will be precisely 10 minutes after you spend it Laughing

If he finds an account paying 2% (unlikely) and gets to keep it for a year (unlikely) he'll make £15. He'll pay tax on that too leaving £12 at best, or £9 if he's a 40% taxpayer.

The employer is going to want it back, audit will show up the overpayment, in less than a year.

Is it really worth the hassle for basically the cost of a takeaway?

Tell them about it. Give it back.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:29 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Re: Say you have been overpaid... Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
someone else honest!

Not that honest.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
high interesting saving account ... if such thing exists anymore Thumbs Up

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
... leaving £12 at best, or £9 if he's a 40% taxpayer.

Laughing
I Knew high interest accounts were the thing of myth

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 scratch cards FTW
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Re: Say you have been overpaid... Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
It's not me but someone else honest!

So my friend is due an extra payment for travel, to the tune of ~£750 however it has been paid twice! Obviously they can claim it back at any time.

Tell them / give it back - they may actually think he's trustworthy because of it, might even get more responsibility etc... unless it's sales then scrotum is always scrotum.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my teens I worked for a shop selling curtains on the high street. It was a summer job and come september I handed in my notice and left.

Couple of weeks later I noticed they hadn't actually stopped paying me my basic pay. Being a broke arse student with a need for weed I kept quiet. They finally stopped paying me 8 months later, around the date I had originally started working for them. Best bit is they never asked for the money back, not one penny. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for telling them now, he will get found out of he keeps it.

Many years ago I left one job to go into another, my previous employer didn't immediately tell payroll about me leaving so they paid me for the next month after I left. Within a week they sent me threatening letters with mentions of court and bailiffs if I didn't send them a cheque for the entire amount.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got overpaid once and genuinely didn't notice (DINKS FTW) - firm came back after me 3 years later. I agreed with them I'd pay it back on a monthly. They got first month's payment and never bothered taking any more. Outside of their usual system you see, so it slipped a diary and that was that.

Normally I'd have given them them the money back immediately but Dom Perignon was on offer at Waitrose that month and I simply couldn't bear to miss out, especially as Ms Tottington-Muffley had been bragging about it down at the pony club

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:44 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So worst case scenario they take it back. Cool just what I thought. Thumbs Up

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:00 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for a cable company. My final wage was for a full month and three weeks of holiday pay. I only worked a week of the month. Called through and was told that there wasnt a mistake.

Cut to three years later, and I got a letter advising that they wanted the money back. No response to that letter.

Nearly four years ago, I had an interview to go and work for the same company but different department (business instead of residential). Got offered the job and nothing was mentioned.

Having said that, if I was still working at the company and was overpaid I think that I would mention it.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Nope, worst case scenario ... blow it on duff scratchcards, spend your month's salary as per the norm and then they deduct it from next month's salary and leave you high and dry for a month!

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I got overpaid once and genuinely didn't notice (DINKS FTW) - firm came back after me 3 years later. I agreed with them I'd pay it back on a monthly. They got first month's payment and never bothered taking any more. Outside of their usual system you see, so it slipped a diary and that was that.

Normally I'd have given them them the money back immediately but Dom Perignon was on offer at Waitrose that month and I simply couldn't bear to miss out, especially as Ms Tottington-Muffley had been bragging about it down at the pony club

Contacting you 3 years later is a bit of a piss take. I would have just ignored it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:24 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is estoppel.

Ring them up and say that you think that you have been overpaid, but you aren't good with numbers. Still the money in your account seems to be wrong.

If you get someone on the ball who figures out the issue, you have to pay it back (no loss)

If you get someone who says that everything is correct, feel free to spend it and then quote estoppel (you have been told it was correct and had no reason to doubt, they then can't decide it's incorrect.)

I love estoppel....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad, dying of cancer, got over-paid £36,600 by the DWP. They meant to pay him £400.00 but missed out the decimal. I told him to take it and have a ball since they would never get it back but he went down the bank and paid it all back the next day.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got paid an additional 570 once from my 2nd job.

They didnt ask for it back, went in like 6 months after finishing with them... bought lots of food.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Or... retaining a wrongful credit

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbabwe Railways once failed to pay my overtime and other monies so I went and sorted it at the office. they then paid me Z$2000 too much the next month. OK it was Z$ not real money but I was only paying Z$60 PCM for my flat in a brothel and could eat out at the best restaurant in town for Z$25. they never asked for it back.

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
My dad, dying of cancer, got over-paid £36,600 by the DWP. They meant to pay him £400.00 but missed out the decimal. I told him to take it and have a ball since they would never get it back but he went down the bank and paid it all back the next day.

I think that if they realised their mistake they would have taken it out of his estate (if he had one of course).

This suggests that's the case

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:23 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
Pete. wrote:

I think that if they realised their mistake they would have taken it out of his estate (if he had one of course).

This suggests that's the case

Yes, that's the sting in the tail. I was telling him to have a ball spending it without realising that they could have come after me for the balance when he died. His estate was no more than the contents of his flat and tiny workshop so didn't even cover the funeral costs BUT the only debt that can be recovered from family if there's no estate is -you guessed it - overpaid pension.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, even though it is their mistake, I would own up and pay it back.

They will potentially eventually realise and you will become 'not popular' should they suspect that you knew and did not reoprt it.

Is it worth it?

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:09 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Unfortunately, even though it is their mistake, I would own up and pay it back.

They will potentially eventually realise and you will become 'not popular' should they suspect that you knew and did not reoprt it.

Is it worth it?

TBH the company are shit and have fucked the person in question about a number of times about other matters. I can categorically state that owning up would not get ANY brownie points whatsoever. It is also a big enough company that the person in question's bosses are so far removed from the money they will not give a shit if it is found to have been overpaid and not reported it. The person is thinking of leaving anyway so isn't too bothered about keeping them in favour, the company need my friend more than they need the company.

As to all the people saying "THEY WILL 100% find out there is 0 chance of keeping the money, blah blah." There are plenty of examples in the thread prove otherwise. They ain't keeping it with the intention of making interest, but keeping it on the chance it won't be reclaimed.

Worst case scenario they have to pay it back later, it won't be spent for a long time anyway so it makes no difference, paying it back now has no up sides.

Thanks for the comments all. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2