Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cadwell Park here we come

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 25 May 2015    Post subject: Cadwell Park here we come Reply with quote

Just booked a novice only trackday at Cadwell. Will be No. 3 on my 'do every UK circuit before I die' list Smile

Have KH this weekend and if still alive will do this next week 2nd June. thay are flexible and said if I deaded this weekend than they book me for August session.

Trackdays can be intimidating for a lonely novice, Oulton a while back breaking my viginity was simply terrifying to begin with. This Cadwell day sounds great and talking to the organiser on the phone he really put me at ease.

Here is info, I put this to potentially entice another novice to get on track, I really haven't seen any other days similar to this set up and have no connection or commercial interest in this, would probably prefer no-one else booked so more track space for me Very Happy

https://blackandwhitebikes.co.uk/track-days/whats-included

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:31 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, week before and Knockhill weekend has been 'strange' and eye opening for me.

Can't say too much about week before (ironic impact on weekend) but lets say it took me until the 4th novice session in beautiful sunshine to try and sort my head out sufficiently enough to attempt go out on the track.

I had option of CBR650F or 5eb R6. At this point I had no intention of taking R6 anywhere near the track. Even though this was my previously intended track bike.

I had also been taken round by Dennis Hobbs in the car on a clear track too and had discussions to put me at ease, still didn't work.

I was on CBR650F waiting in the queue to go out, got tapped on the shoulder, I had fluid dripping from my bike Shocked Took bike out, fluid was water coming out exhaust box vent hole!. Immediately jumped on R6 and went straight out before giving myself a chance to think about it. I rode like a nervous wreck, first day at DAS type. Did 10 laps was insistent that the front end was going to go at every corner. No joke I take corners quicker going to my local town.

Came in after session, shaking, dumped bike.

Gave keys to a visiting Englishman for my CBR650f, said have fun then drove home humiliated on Saturday evening. To think about getting it together for Sunday.

I did not ride any bike round the track on Sunday.

What the heck is going on?

I have ridden round Oulton on a strange bike in the wet no problems. I have raced officially cars around Knockhill, rolled and been upside down, laughed about it carried on. No complete novice to tracks and speed. I had no issues riding on the road until this week either.

Really having internal battle with biking in general at this moment.

Apologies to Trackdayriders forum guys who must wonder what the heck I was doing this weekend at Knockhill!

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:55 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly suspension related with your front end, not having confidence in the front is a major mental issue will be very hard to ride. Have you ever had it set up for you? Also have a look at tyre pressure as for the rest can't really help never felt nervous taking my tests or first time on track not much help I know

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

The bike is fine really, it's just me.

Novice session at Cadwell 12th August will hopefullly sort me out with regard to the track. I have been out on the road for a long ride and have got my mojo back.

Week long jury duty at Edinburgh High Court before this weekend, fatality involving 5eb Blue R6 motorcycle......couldn't believe it! An eye opening poignant experience and have now some things to resolve in my head. (case is complete btw)

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:21 - 01 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see mate never nice to see that side of things... My old man deals with a lot of these horrible accidents seen some gruesome things, his colleague just got his bike license regardless of this and he's considering it. All you can do is take it easy out on track to get into the swing of things and remember to breathe! Sounds simple but really helps to relax. Remember your only there to have fun and I'm sure once your in the swing of things you'll love it. You back at knockhill before then?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
I see mate never nice to see that side of things... My old man deals with a lot of these horrible accidents seen some gruesome things, his colleague just got his bike license regardless of this and he's considering it. All you can do is take it easy out on track to get into the swing of things and remember to breathe! Sounds simple but really helps to relax. Remember your only there to have fun and I'm sure once your in the swing of things you'll love it. You back at knockhill before then?

Not sure at the moment. These novice sessions aren't full of novices are they? A fair few that should be in a higher group but just like to fly past real novices to look good, usually at inopportune moment. (IMO). And I need to be 100% confident before going out.

I may wait until Cadwell, this chap has set this up new, strictly for novices on road bikes.

Will be up at Knockhill for the racing 6/7th June though.

Was my intention to eventually race pre-injection......a long way from that right now lol

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:47 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done one seasio we day at my and 1 open pit on open pit my best time was a 1.01.8 so next time I'm going out in inters, to be fair there was maybe 2 or 3 out the quicker and I was getting held up a lot so seems wise to Move up. Was just asking because from what I've heard cardwell is a very technical track and a lot harder than knockhill but if it only is true novices you should be fine

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the novices were track novices of course Roberts, what i should have said and didn't say was that they were not necessarily bike novices or many particularly slow in respect to me at the time Laughing

The format at this Cadwell event is probably better suited to me as a new biker. Then after that hopefully be ready and confident for 'open pit sessions' and the like at any track.

Will get there, maybe for first time having some doubts about biking in general. I'll soon sort that out Smile

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:07 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair point Ive been riding bikes since 15... Been on the road near enough every day for 4 years now and done about 12000 miles since last May. I'm forgetting how daunting it would be for a total newcomer to bikes. Imo open pit isn't a great place to start for newcomers, It is daunting being out there with superbikes racers etc but once you have some confidence it's brilliant I thought, apart from when some knob on a fireblade can't pass a 600 on the straight and runs him off into gravel trying to get up the inside on the brakes ... I'm not bitter honest!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
apart from when some knob on a fireblade can't pass a 600 on the straight and runs him off into gravel trying to get up the inside on the brakes ... I'm not bitter honest!

And this concerns me! Fastest group is by far the safest as far as I can see, problem is you need to be fast to get to the safe group. Have heard racers say that racing is safer than trackdays due to the known competencies of the competitors around you, makes perfect sense really. Smile

Maybe I should just go straight for racing a 1299! Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:44 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That knob on the Fireblade will most likely throw his bike into the kitty litter when he's trying to pwn the novice group. Wink

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:52 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure of it... he was on a new 15 plate bike so when the inevitable does happen its going to cost him a pretty penny Laughing to be fair the really fast guys passed no problem at all, however I seen photos from track photgrapher where it appears he's behind me for atleast 2 laps but couldn't pass, probably pissed him off a bit Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:27 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect more block passes and close manouvers in the fast group - because it's expected that the other riders can cope with it too.

Think the only time I've come into contact with another rider on a trackday (happens plenty in racing) was in a fast group when I wasn't riding at an amazing pace at Brands on a new bike - another rider passed me and cut in tight, so his rear tyre hit my front mud guard.
I was irked to find he 'blamed' me for the situation. He was friends with the marshals, so it was left at that.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be expecting it in fast group, however this wasn't the fast group it was open pit and I hadn't had a problem all day fast guys were passing quickly and cleanly however from what I can gather this lad was behind me for at least a lap or two on a more powerful bike so why he never passed on the power I don't know. First I knew of him was when I turned into first corner slightly trailing brakes and he appeared on the completely wrong line heading right for me. Ran off and down into gravel (downhill) luckily kept it upright and session was red flagged.. I seen a marshal have a word with him when he came in then had the cheek to tell me it wasn't him. Pretty sure there weren't 2 blue white and red fireblades with 15 plates on. However didn't let it spoil my day and got on with it Very Happy had a ball

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, I've done plenty of track days, plenty of racing. For what it's worth racing is more predictable, if you're at the front. Trackdays are a lottery. There are about an average of 2 riders on a trackday who could cut it even in a club race, but they all think they can, irrespective of which group they are in. (I've instructed on'em).
If you are worried about getting cut up, block passed, being taken out by a knob who panics and gets target fixation on a track day, don't do it. I can guarantee it will happen during the day, maybe when you aren't on track but it will happen.
Alternatively, accept it can happen, don't race people, if someone is riding like a knob let them get on with it. Hit the apexes on the cones, get your braking right and your knee down and have a good day.
Or get a license, prep your bike, turn up and get scruted, do 3 laps of practice and line up on the bottom straight at Cadwell all 30 of you going for Coppice.
Whatever you choose just do it and sort your demons out.

OGR

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 04 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non electronics, carbs. 1999 R1 is probably the best solution after some thought. Might as well try carbed angle here with this utter, complete madness bike first and get the thought that this is remotely a good idea over with sooner. Oops where the heck did that come from.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1