Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rieju RS1 Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:32 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this...

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/rieju_rs1

Only 9 licensed in the last quarter of 2014 Shocked

Looks like mine will likely be one of less than ten on the road in the UK now!

Thats quite cool Very Happy Thumbs Up
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

Shreeve
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:52 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how accurate that site is, it says the following for mine:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/suzuki_gs_250_tt

Surely can't be right?

Either way, you've essentially got an endangered species Laughing

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particularly for older vehicles, one problem you start to come across is that the model name often isn't recorded on the logbook. In which case it'll just come up under '[Manufacturer] missing' on sites like howmanyleft. For instance, there are currently 29,000 Suzuki missing's on the road, one of which I presume is your bike!

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:32 - 07 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

From their site

Quote:
How accurate is this data?

As with all large government databases, there are errors in this dataset (especially since quite a lot of the data for older vehicles is based on paper records that were originally maintained by local authorities).

The most common error that crops up is vehicles that don't have exactly the correct model variant recorded on their V5 registration document. For example, a special edition Peugeot 205 Gentry might only have Peugeot 205 recorded on its V5. This can lead to some model variants appearing to be rarer than they actually are.

The key to understanding whether or not the data is accurate for your particular model is to check the model name on its V5 registration document. If it's not what you expect it to be, then it's likely that the DVLA statistics for that model aren't very accurate!

This happens more often with older vehicles, especially for those that would have originally been registered in the 1970s and earlier.

Seems to be accurate in the case of the RS1 though.

I did search for Rsi and Rsi Evoluation too just in case but it came up with no results Laughing
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 07 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know how many RR125's there are left in the u.k though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:34 - 09 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to the site, I have one of only 2 Motor Hispania Furia SM's on SORN (only 2 more on the road).

Price just went up, have to get the seized engine sorted Smile
2002 Rieju RS2-50 (Sold, spares or repair), 2010 Suzuki DR-125SM (Traded for ->), 2007 Honda CBF 600 (Sold), 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Briefly, now returned), 2007 Suzuki Intruder 1800m (Even More Briefly, traded in for ->), 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:59 - 10 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never even heard of one until now tbh Laughing

Looks like a cool bike though Thumbs Up

Motocross and enduro / trail bikes are my motorcyling roots really and so getting another is an itch I'll need to scratch myself sooner or later.

Once the Mito is done I think I'll struggle to resist the urge to hunt for a KMX / KDX or XR.... maybe even an old Husqy 610 for a project Silence

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:28 - 10 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more stickers on Thumbs Up

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1378_zpspoxlexwi.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1380_zps9znoj0jt.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1379_zpssrhvqcdh.jpg

The Silkolene ones on the swinging arm look crap right at the back there but they just didn't look right wherever I positioned them so plan is to get some other sponsor type logo in red to go in front of them.

Really happy with the Rieju decals I've had made up though, the lads done a good job with them Thumbs Up

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 10 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:
I'd never even heard of one until now tbh Laughing

Looks like a cool bike though Thumbs Up

Motocross and enduro / trail bikes are my motorcyling roots really and so getting another is an itch I'll need to scratch myself sooner or later.

Once the Mito is done I think I'll struggle to resist the urge to hunt for a KMX / KDX or XR.... maybe even an old Husqy 610 for a project Silence

There's a CRM 250 that may need a new home soon, fit for extensive fettling! Steve was right when he said I'd be more likely to lose the CRM before I lost the TTR, something like the Beta X-Trainer appeals to the inner enduro nerd.

Before you ask, I have no idea what's going on with this Mito of mine, if he weren't my best mate from college, I would have abandoned the idea of buying it. But I have the grand total of three friends, one is selling the bike and the other is offering to pick it up whenever I'm ready with his bike trailer. The only issue is that both friends work weird shifts and I can't drive at the moment so can't steal the bike trailer myself and hook it up to the Land Rover at home.

Do you have a full licence James, or do you just like small bikes like me?
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:

Do you have a full licence James, or do you just like small bikes like me?

Oh you just had to bring that up didn't you Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=295223

Laughing

I still intend to try and fight that but not something I've put my mind to yet, still gets me mad just looking at that letter Evil or Very Mad

If I get nowhere with them and have to do everything again then I'm waiting until the Mito's finished and doing my CBT in style! Very Happy

I passed my car driving test a thousand years ago so have full moped entitlement on that so am fine with the RS1 and RS2 for now... while they are still restricted Wink

As for small bikes, these are the first 50s I've ever had, not had anything smaller than a 125 before but yeah I have a thing for small bikes but more generally 2 strokes.

I do like big bikes too but theres nothing particular that I fancy getting that would be in my price range really. I'd rather have an iconic 125 2 stroke, would love an RGV 250 and I will own one at some point in my life but they are just ridiculous money for a nice one now!

I won't mither you about the Mito, I shall wait patiently for any news Laughing

Why are you parting with the CRM?

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 10 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Thumbs Down

I was scared something like that would happen to me when I passed my car test at the start of the year, but they just removed the <25KW thing next to the entitlement. Thumbs Up

I don't have as many small bikes as I would like. The thing with small bikes is quite often you get a lot of bling for your money. Look at the Mito, steering damper, Brembo brakes, light weight, thirty-summit horsepower, looks like a 916 Drooling and a SEVEN SPEED BOX!

Mine will cost me £400, I know you got yours cheapish as well. Can't get many big bikes with that much bling for that sort of cash, I think.

As to getting rid of the Hoon-da, the brakes are rubbish, I did an enduro practice day before rolling the car, I went smashing into a tree because the bike is too fast for the brakes fitted and I tried to point it round the corner but just couldn't do it in time. It's a bit small really and chews through tyres and chains like it's going out of fashion. I also can't wheelie it. Crying or Very sad I need better balance and clutch control if I'm going to manage it on that bike. I don't know, parts are difficult to get, not another bike with tough spares! Perhaps I just don't ride it enough, but it needs more fettling than I have patience for, there's a leak from somewhere from the gearbox that I need to find, the brakes need sorting, the fuelling isn't right, the revs refuse to drop back down, it needs a new top end soon, I had the spanny off the other day, to try and clean some of the rust off, and could see scoring all on the piston skirt, a bit of blow-by from the rings and a torch showed a bit of scoring on the cylinder bore.

There's other bits and bobs that irritate as well, but that's enough whinging from me, I'm just annoyed that I can't get out and about, although I have started cycling again, I can only manage about 5 or so miles before the bones start aching. And about half an hour walking the dog.

A VG22 was at the bike shop opposite my work the other day, I could hear them revving it up and ragging it up and down the road. Me and my mate snuck out the back of the garage and across the road to have a wank *ahem* look over the bike. Laughing

Could you get some more Rieju sticker like on the tank to put infront of the silkolene?
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K

Last edited by Fladdem on 20:38 - 11 Jun 2015; edited 1 time in total

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:48 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd agree with you that you can get more bike for your money with some smaller bikes but that's not to say there aren't bargains to be had with some of the older 600 sports bikes etc.

There just isn't much out there that excites me and I don't think I'd want a big sports bike as a project, it's been very novel being able to physically pick up the RS1 and drag it around the workshop when I need to move it Laughing

Is your Mito a 7 speed?? Ya bastad! Mines the 6 speed Evil or Very Mad What is cool though is that despite it now being more complete than when I bought it, it technically now stands me at around £350 (paid £500 for it) after selling off spares for it on the bay Thumbs Up

Well you are all doom and gloom over the CRM aren't you Laughing
It's easy to feel that way and a load of small jobs can seem overwhelming but I'd expect a large part of that is you just being generally fed up from your injuries anyway. I wouldn't make any rash decisions about that until you're back on your feet properly again.

Kinda glad it wasn't me that saw that VG22, I'd have probably tried to bid him for it!

As for swinging arm, already ordered decals earlier. Have gone for Brembo ones in red (although brakes on it are AJP Laughing ) and have ordered some 'experimental' other ones too Wink

With hindsight, it would have just looked better if the Showa ones went on the swinging arm and then the Silkolene ones on the forks, may even end up that way Thinking
The great thing now is that I can just play around with decals like that, they are pennies to replace. Main thing is that I got the original ones on without any real drama Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good enough to eat it silly (oops I mean ride) now. Laughing
I am going to remain at the plateau stage though until I see it parked outside with some nice scenery and without the sad faced security device fitted. Thumbs Up

I didn't know about the fuck up they made with your licence though, the unless utter scumbags! I'm with you, as I would either be doing whatever I could as a big fuck you and work around the system (50cc stickers and registration docs and plate on all my bikes) or I would refuse to go through the whole license gaining process again for as long as it takes me to stop being angry/sulking/ or become all mature (would take me fucking years TBH!) Laughing

I like all the decals so far, but can see your issue with the long swingarm looking a bit weird with the stickers being so far back and looking a little bare maybe? Have you considered fitting some period stickers for the imaginary tuning parts and BBK that your not fitting though? It would only end up with Metrakit/Polini/Malossi/Yasuni plastered all over it if belonged to a 16yr old with a good part time job lol!

I put KIPS stickers all over my KMX they shouldn't be there, but I wanted to shout about it. Laughing

Oh and as for the small bikes I might know someone else that likes them as well, that doesn't want to be 17 again Wink

I was about 20-22 when I had all my big bore 2stroke GP replica fantasies, so fuck knows what I'm going to do when I decide I need to re-live that era?
I'm still butt hurt for turning down £1800 NS400R's and £2000 RG500's, and the fact that a cheap RD500 never came along, though I really tried to find one for a bit. I could scream but it won't do any good now, I needed someone to have said fucking wake up and get your wallet out 12-15years ago!

I wouldn't mind a big bike project to waste money on tarty bits for, and bottles of polish too. But I couldn't really afford to fix one up, especially as I keep putting money aside to blow on wannabe street racer parts for old mans Rover's. Laughing

Someone on here found a Honda CB1100F in an old ladies garage or something like that a couple of years ago, the bastard! Something like that or a GPZ1100 Unitrack would keep me busy with thoughts of big bore kits, 4-1 pipes big enough to get your arm up, and a sanctuary catalogue to stick together and ruin! Laughing

Something will come up one day, maybe I'll get asked to clear out an old garage that has a V-max or Z1300 hiding under all the dust and crap? Laughing

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 years ago, I wasn't even into bikes, despite my poster of various 70s/80's sports bikes on the wall, and I thought girls were yucky and smelled of wee! Laughing

I would love to go back to mid nineties at the age I am now, where I'm still young enough to bounce and be stupid with no responsibility, but just old enough to have some monies. I would go and buy so many bikes, and test ride loads of bikes from the showrooms.

I think mine is a 6 speed as well actually. It's a 1999 model which is the changeover period, from the photos I've seen I've got six-spoke wheels, the seven speeds had three spoke rims. Crying or Very sad

Went out on the CRM today for the first time in ages. It may need to stick around a bit longer. Laughing Although braking hurt my nads, so they must still be a bit bruised from the smash-up. Embarassed

I would have put in an offer as well for that 250, but I'd just bought my CRM and spent another 6-700 on bits for my TTR, that Yam must have cost me about £2500 over the last couple of years. I've now got my eye on a TRX850 that's been knocking about for a couple of weeks over there, when I was last at work, the bloke that rides it has a KLX300R as well, and he seems a nice chap, I'll see what he says, if I ever get the nerve/opportunity. Wink

I wouldn't mind a Rover 827 slammed and tuned to stupidity, but I think the length would have me reversing into all sorts of stuff. Laughing I have my eye on so many vehicles, I'm never going to have the opportunity to own and ride/drive them all in my lifetime.

I don't know if the Showa would work on the swing arm or not, do you have spares to test?

My MT5 had Polini and Malossi stickers and a few others plastered all over it, I am afraid to say I added some. I spent ages trying to get them back off again. I even sprayed a black skull on the back mudguard, the Skull Candy logo, which when I tried to get it back off again has damaged it. Brick Wall

In the end all the stickers from buying stuff for bikes and cars, some I pinched from mates, have gone on my box at work.

https://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag134/Fladdem/DSC_00171_zpszmqpopm4.jpg

That was a few months ago, I've added more since then and I've got a load more to go on at home. Soon! Twisted Evil

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, dammit, your toolbox has mine beat and then some!!
Think we should start a BCF thread for show us your toolbox sticker collection! Laughing
I'll try and squeeze into my garage to get a pic of mine, but couldn't today as I did a 15hr nightshift yesterday and I think I'm actually dead now!?

I think a couple of additional suitable performance parts stickers if subtle ones would finish off the OP's swingarm very nicely. I know that for older fast 50's Metrakit was a popular performance tuning house I think?

I'm glad your still feeling a bit of love for the CRM though, truthfully id want it more than the Mito, But Mito's look completely sexual so you always definitely would! Thumbs Up

I'm glad you and your work mate appreciated the RGV, I like them a bit less than the other 250's, but only because I've always seen the VJ22 engine as a Hand Grenade rolling around floor with the pin fallen out. Laughing

I hope you get yourself back together first before you start doing too much work on your bikes, but I reckon you'll have the TTR or CRM, probably both running like a dream soon!

Oh and if you like Rover 827's then don't watch Tony Pond's IOM lap record drive in one. It's phenomenal and has taken over a decade to beat it, finally done in an Impreza I believe.

I used to get given a lift to nightclubs by the dad of one of the waitress's at the pub we used to work at as students. I can remember the lovey drone of the V6 up to about 90mph on the main roads, I would have one myself or another decent V6 car, instead of a dull 4pot with childish wooosh, psssst noises everytime I nip quietly down to the supermarket for a few bits.

Oh and your mate with the TRX850 and KLX300R, well I'm not sure which one id be biting his arm off to buy first. The KLX300 is a rare beast, and the TRX is cool and so moddable with parts from more racy later Yamaha sportsbikes. They should do a Sanctuary TRX in PS magazine so I could blow my stack looking at it! Laughing

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:25 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It's looking good enough to eat it silly (oops I mean ride) now. Laughing
I am going to remain at the plateau stage though until I see it parked outside with some nice scenery and without the sad faced security device fitted. Thumbs Up

I'm looking forward to seeing it parked somewhere nice too and riding it to get there more than anything!... But we're both going to have to wait a while for that as I've had a slight change of plan Neutral

There's just no point in me spending money to put an MOT on it and insure it then, within a few weeks, be spending for an MOT on the RS2 and likely having to mess around swapping insurance etc..

So I'm having some restraint (difficult as it is with the current weather etc) and holding off with putting this on the road. I'm going to finish the RS2 then run that with a 'for sale' sign on it (maybe literally Laughing ). That way I'm still on the road, I ultimately get to have a play on both bikes and I'm in a position where I can hold out for a decent offer on the RS2 Thumbs Up

Quote:
I like all the decals so far, but can see your issue with the long swingarm looking a bit weird with the stickers being so far back and looking a little bare maybe? Have you considered fitting some period stickers for the imaginary tuning parts and BBK that your not fitting though?

Yeah, the Silkolene didn't look right wherever I positioned it so that's why I put them at the back to make room for another in front. Already ordered Brembo ones but don't know how it will look until they're on. Like I say though, they cost next to nothing so can just play around with them Thumbs Up

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a big bike project to waste money on tarty bits for, and bottles of polish too. But I couldn't really afford to fix one up, especially as I keep putting money aside to blow on wannabe street racer parts for old mans Rover's. Laughing

You still got that Rover? Very Happy

Fladdem wrote:
I think mine is a 6 speed as well actually. It's a 1999 model which is the changeover period, from the photos I've seen I've got six-spoke wheels, the seven speeds had three spoke rims. Crying or Very sad

Yeah if those are the orginal wheels it's a six speed, mine is a '99 too.

One less gear to go wrong I suppose though Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a damn logical way of looking at things! Laughing
Yeah I suppose paying out for 2lots of tax/Mot is very silly, whilst your trying very hard to sell the RS2 when it's done. I'm sure a few miles of testing while it's all Mot'd& ready for it's new home wont hurt anyway! And hopefully if you like how it rides, it will just make you think of how much better the RS1 and Mito will be when you get to sling a leg over those!

I'll eagerly await and hold on for the RS1 in a nice rural setting, while nursing my semi! Smile

Green Rover is still here, and many plans made for it! Recently ordered some billet alloy front suspension top mounts, but I've not done a lot with it yet. I'd only buy something else similar from a different manufacturer if I sold it, so my sensible runabout will stay I think! I kinda like council estate Ferrari's and feel they are my pinnacle/natural place with 4wheel'd vehicles.:lol

I think some small red or black stickers will go quite nicely nearer to the front of the swinging arm on the RS1, but as you say it's cheap to play around with non OEM decals until your happy. Smile

Oh and were those very early 90's Lucky explorer Mito's the 7speed ones? That paint scheme was the most sexual colour for the Evo generation of Mito for sure!

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Green Rover is still here...

I've been meaning to ask you about your Rover. What have you got?

I saw an RS2 the other day a lad round the corner from me appears to have just bought one. It doesn't seem all that quick, for a Minarelli engine. But then I'm used to 250 power. It looks in very good nick though, I think it was on a 54 plate. It's not that small either is it? I remember sitting on this Mito when my mate got first put it together a few years ago and thinking it felt like a mini bike. Laughing But I am 6'3" with 35" ish inside leg.

I think the Mito was all 7 speed until 1999. I think the Freccia was 7 speed too?

Just_James wrote:
One less gear to go wrong I suppose though Very Happy

Knowing my luck, I'll get this bike stuck in a gear as well. Rolling Eyes Laughing

A mate of mine did run around on a Derbi GPR50 with a for sale sign taped to it, it got nicked when he left it parked somewhere. Not the bike, the sign! What on earth someone wanted with it, I don't know. Laughing Laughing

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:48 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
That's a damn logical way of looking at things! Laughing
Yeah I suppose paying out for 2lots of tax/Mot is very silly, whilst your trying very hard to sell the RS2 when it's done. I'm sure a few miles of testing while it's all Mot'd& ready for it's new home wont hurt anyway! And hopefully if you like how it rides, it will just make you think of how much better the RS1 and Mito will be when you get to sling a leg over those!

Yeah, that's my thinking Thumbs Up

Quote:
I'll eagerly await and hold on for the RS1 in a nice rural setting, while nursing my semi! Smile

Enough with your jizzing and phallus! You're putting me off my own bike! Laughing Laughing

Quote:

Green Rover is still here, and many plans made for it! Recently ordered some billet alloy front suspension top mounts, but I've not done a lot with it yet. I'd only buy something else similar from a different manufacturer if I sold it, so my sensible runabout will stay I think! I kinda like council estate Ferrari's and feel they are my pinnacle/natural place with 4wheel'd vehicles. Laughing

I think I've finally grown out of that phase now the 2 has gone... I really am getting old Shocked

Just like pootling around in my truck holding everyone up Laughing
Though I do still play with modifying it - a sports car it will never be though Laughing

I've no real desire to have fast / modified cars these days, the roads are just too busy and restricted for it to be any fun.

On 4 wheels I'm very much adapted to the pootling but 2 wheels is where there is fun to be had Thumbs Up

Quote:
I think some small red or black stickers will go quite nicely nearer to the front of the swinging arm on the RS1, but as you say it's cheap to play around with non OEM decals until your happy. Smile

Had an email (with pic) today that my new stickers are cut and in the post Very Happy

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/photo_zpsfj7xt0u7.jpg

Fladdem wrote:

I saw an RS2 the other day a lad round the corner from me appears to have just bought one. It doesn't seem all that quick, for a Minarelli engine. But then I'm used to 250 power. It looks in very good nick though, I think it was on a 54 plate. It's not that small either is it? I remember sitting on this Mito when my mate got first put it together a few years ago and thinking it felt like a mini bike. Laughing But I am 6'3" with 35" ish inside leg.

I think the Mito was all 7 speed until 1999. I think the Freccia was 7 speed too?

Ask him how much he paid for the RS2 Wink Laughing

I couldn't comment on how quick it is as I've not had a proper ride on it but maybe its still restricted?

Don't know how quick it is myself until I've had a proper ride on it but I won't be surprised if it's slower than the RS1 with the amount of restrictive emissions reducing crap that's built into it!

Neither of them are small bikes for what they are, they look more like 125s. In fact (though it may not be fact and I could be wrong) I think the RS2 shares the same frame etc in 50cc and 125cc form?

I'm shorter than you at 6ft and 32" inside leg but all 3 bikes are going to feel small - cause they are Very Happy

I'm not planning on doing any touring on any of them though, just some fun on the twisties Laughing

As far as I'm aware yes, the Mitos were all 7 speed until the revised model. Again, could be wrong though

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:29 - 20 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the RS1 has been very much neglected over the past week (both physically and mentally) while I'm pushing to get the RS2 done.

The latest decals arrived for it days ago but they have just been sat gathering dust (literally, a lot of it about at the moment) on the bench.

Was having a tidy up in the workshop and dust off (dust was shameful Embarassed ) of the RS1 and decided to have a try of them while it's momentarily clean.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1454_zpsrggilan9.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1455_zpsvqo4nykz.jpg

The Brembo ones are definitely the way to go in terms of colour but they need to be bigger.

I'm quite happy with the Rieju logo for the wheels though, was just an idea in my head and didn't really know how they were going to look until they were on but I think they look quite cool on just one spoke of each wheel Very Happy

Had a few ideas for some more I want for the fairing too so will have some bigger Brembo ones made when I order those Thumbs Up

JoshT
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:39 - 08 Aug 2015    Post subject: Restoration Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning ! I used to restore Velocettes and paintwork we used to sub out, if you were in the area you'd have got the job.

Give yourself a big pat on the back mate.

What paint did you use for the engine?

You mentioned using Hammerite for the exhaust, is that heatproof to exhaust temps?

Anyway what your future plans are for the bike, when you've had enough I'll give you £320 you quadruple your initial outlay Rolling Eyes

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:39 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate Thumbs Up

I just used 2k paint on the engine, it was a quick blow over / bodge at the time to be honest and I'm not proud of it, was only planning on giving the bike a bit of a freshen up at that stage.

I've used hammerite on exhausts before and it held up very well (better than any HT stuff I've used) but this is the first time I've used the new 'kitten friendly' formula and can already tell it's not what it used to be - takes for ever to fully harden if nothing else! Time will tell how well it holds up but it's certainly had plenty of time to harden now anyway! Not even ridden the thing on the road yet Laughing
I find the main thing with painted exhausts is just to generally keep on top of them anyway, there is no miracle paint that is going to survive those extremities of temperature for ever. I think you're as well to keep refreshing it with a bargain basement rattle can of matt black every now and then than spend silly money on some snake oil HT paint.

Plans for the bike is to get some use out of it once the RS2 is sold but other than that there isn't anything set in stone (I'll politely decline your offer of £320 though Laughing ).

It's been sat under a cover in the workshop for the past few weeks and I haven't so much as looked at it, I think now it's served the purpose of having a project to play with and now I've got other bikes on my mind.... I've lost interest in it really Neutral

How long I'll keep it will depend on if / when I buy another project but my focus really now is to get the Mito done. The difference with that one is it will be a keeper Wink Thumbs Up

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:48 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr?

A pics montage of the rebuild to date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFy110WQdHM

yes I have too much time on my hands in the evenings without being on with a project Embarassed Laughing

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:36 - 27 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally have a pair of new steering bearings! Smile

When I was doing the rebuild I just rebuilt the ones that were in there with new ball bearings and hoped I'd get away with it..... but didn't! Couldn't really tell until it was all built back up and I had a front brake but there was still play there so had no choice but to order a new set of bearings (had tried to avoid this as they are ridiculously expensive and very hard to get hold of).

I managed to track one down in UK stock ages ago but it was the only one, I ordered that one and convinced myself I'd be able to get it matched up at a specialist bearing suppliers (was hoping it would be much cheaper too) but it turns out to be a really odd ball size and after weeks of emailing around, I simply couldn't get one anywhere in the UK.

Ending up biting the bullet and ordering one from the factory and I now have a pair of new bearings.... these little things cost me about the same as what I originally bought the bike for! Crying or Very sad

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1622_zpskkyrp2d0.jpg

So bike now looking like this

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1623_zpsnynrt6uj.jpg

It still hasn't seen daylight since I rebuilt it and now I'm pulling it in bits again Laughing

Bearings are in with no issues though so just need to find a bit of time in next few days to get it built back up and then can get an MOT booked. Thumbs Up

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:02 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the NSR inbound and the Mito itching to get into the workshop I've pushed tonight to re-rebuild the RS1 back up Very Happy

Steering bearings are spot on now and everything is feeling really good with the exception of the rear brake. I've got it properly bled through but it just doesn't really feel very effective - a little hard to tell with just a few feet of workshop to play with though Laughing

As I went through checking everything else over I figure it is actually finally ready for MOT! Shocked
I'm hoping the back brake just needs to bed in a little and will be fine with a little run so may as well just get it booked Thumbs Up

Started getting all excited thinking maybe I can squeeze it in somewhere tomorrow morning.... then realised I've overlooked something Embarassed

https://oi59.tinypic.com/n56lmv.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12