Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trackday newbie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

jon23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Trackday newbie Reply with quote

Evening all,

Looking for some advice, I know the topic has been covered a lot but this is slightly different.

I passed my full bike license 2 months ago mainly for a trail bike but I've taken a slight different turn in what I want to do, i would like to give a few track days a go, now here is the part some people I've spoken to don't agree with,
They've said its best to get road experience before going out on track, however id prefer to ride on track rather than pay all the costs for a road bike bike just to go on trackday

Im not thinking just get an r6 and go on track was thinking more along the lines of an sv650 and work up with added tuition I have bike experiance off-road only having done a few enduros and a year on the road at 17.

Also a constant trackdayer in mine and my old mans shared mk1 golf

So the question is what would a lot of you advise.

What tuition is out there?

Just go for it?

Cheers jonny

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go straight for a 600 sports bike - better in every aspect than an SV unless you're interested in doing mini twins. Don't be a dick and it won't spit you off, tame low down, etc.

And I'd do a few trackdays before paying outright for tuition - most organisers offer free tuition on the day, use it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:17 - 30 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, an SV is fine on track. Its quite narrow and very linear. I've come off once but that's down to being far too cocky and being so Moto gp bro.

Erm, I've ridden both a Daytona 675 and an SV on track, for learning the track and wet days I have the SV which can get smashed up with little worries. The Daytona was the bike for dicking on people. Still, its enjoyable on either bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:24 - 30 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: Trackday newbie Reply with quote

A lot of the basic skills can actually be learnt better on the road than track, as you can focus on one aspect. Having the car experience is a good start, but were I in your position, is go for a bike with v5 and cough up the extra to make it road legal. Track time is expensive, so unless you're absolutely loaded, or makes sense to use the road, which is a lot cheaper and available outside your front door Smile.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 30 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

600 IL4 will suit most of the UK tracks Thumbs Up There are some like Silverstone or even Snetterton (especially 200) when you may wish you had 1000cc.

jon23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 30 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice,

So for a bike on the road and track still go for a 600 sb or go tamer, as you get the age old answer of new bikers on 600 sb's will die an early death.

Always liked the vfr400 even tho there old and small, not much choice for bikes inbetween an older 400 and 600's.

Jonny

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 30 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.haslamraceschool.com/premier.php

I did this many years ago. They supply the bikes and kit so you just turn up. You get I think 3 20 min sessions.

Might not seem like much track time but you get to have a go on the track without forking out on a bike to see if it's something you want to do.

Also I don't see why you have to ride a bike on the road first before doing trackdays. Riding on track is totally different to riding on the road. You said you've passed your test so you know how to ride.

If you want to do trackdays then the best way to learn is to do trackdays.

graham firestorm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Trackday newbie Reply with quote

jon23 wrote:
Evening all,

Looking for some advice, I know the topic has been covered a lot but this is slightly different.

I passed my full bike license 2 months ago mainly for a trail bike but I've taken a slight different turn in what I want to do, i would like to give a few track days a go, now here is the part some people I've spoken to don't agree with,
They've said its best to get road experience before going out on track, however id prefer to ride on track rather than pay all the costs for a road bike bike just to go on trackday

Im not thinking just get an r6 and go on track was thinking more along the lines of an sv650 and work up with added tuition I have bike experiance off-road only having done a few enduros and a year on the road at 17.

Just go for it?

Cheers jonny

thebun
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:53 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty much in your position now mate . Although without the licence. I do have 20 years of mx racing to fall back on but still.
Ive done a couple of haslam days . You really need to do 2 to get a good feel. The premier school is on 600's and you pair up 2 riders to 1 instructor. This can be frustrating , however once you have done a premier , you can do an elite school on a fireblade . This is 1-1 training . I did mine with Tristen Palmer , who was brilliant and a bloody lunatic.I came away physically spent cos we were really motoring along on this course .
Do that first if you can afford it . You might find you dont like it. PLus you get to ride a 600 and a big bike .To help you decide.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:12 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:

Also I don't see why you have to ride a bike on the road first before doing trackdays.

I'd prefer to 'learn' the experience of full-bore 1g acceleration, bike handling (counter steering etc) in an low-pressure environment where I'm not paying a couple of quid a minute just to be there.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
monkeybiker wrote:

Also I don't see why you have to ride a bike on the road first before doing trackdays.

I'd prefer to 'learn' the experience of full-bore 1g acceleration, bike handling (counter steering etc) in an low-pressure environment where I'm not paying a couple of quid a minute just to be there.

That's your personal preference. To me track riding and road riding are two different riding styles.

If all I wanted was to do trackdays I wouldn't bother with a road bike.

Plus he says he has passed his test so he all ready has road riding experience. I see no need to get load of road experience if all you want to do is trackdays.

That's just my opinion but it's what I would do.

Mouze
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 May 2015    Post subject: Re: Trackday newbie Reply with quote

jon23 wrote:
Evening all,

Just go for it?

Cheers jonny

Go for a 600 and take it slow. Some general good advice on MCN and https://www.howtokneedown.com/

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with a trackday. You'll come out a better rider all round. Wouldn't worry too much about the bike either as long as it is decent nick, modern tyres, brakes fettled etc. Bikes today are better than we mere mortals will ever be. If folk on fast bikes come past you on the straights you will only try harder in corners...

Go in the novices and you will see all abilities - some you will pass and some will pass you. Doesn't matter as your laps improve. If you can, follow somebody who is faster for as long as you feel safe and watch where they brake, turn in etc. Just don't fall into the trap of getting swept along with the fast boys as you will bottle it at some point and go motocrossing...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:49 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can jump straight in with buying a track bike and learning the ropes with paid on track tuition but it'll be an expensive way to learn.

Wouldn't be too sure that you'll be able to go track daying on an SV650 at the age of 17 because lots of tracks and track day organisers want you to either be riding a bike that you're licensed for or in many cases for you to have a full unrestricted license.

Learn to walk before trying to learn to run. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:34 - 02 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:

That's your personal preference. To me track riding and road riding are two different riding styles.

If all I wanted was to do trackdays I wouldn't bother with a road bike.

Plus he says he has passed his test so he all ready has road riding experience. I see no need to get load of road experience if all you want to do is trackdays.

That's just my opinion but it's what I would do.

My personal preference is not to spend a load of money on something that can be learnt on the road where you're not paying a minimum of £1/minute (likely a very minimum of £2-£3/min in reality when everything's considered.)

The basics of accelerating hard, braking hard and so on all work exactly the same on the road as on track - and you can choose a 'safer' situation to practice too.

peterthepisto...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:32 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The track is the best place to learn to ride better and quicker. Less obstacles to hit.
The slow groups are very slow so even as a new rider you should have no problems keeping with them.
Most track days have instructors that will help you learn and give you proper instruction.
I would also say go for a 600 track bike. Not as scary as the 1000s but great in the twistys and with track fairings it is much cheaper to fix when things go wrong than OE fairings. Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:39 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which tracks and trackday organisers will let a 17 year old out on a 600?

peterthepisto...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:46 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Here in sunny South Africa, they do not check age or license on the smaller tracks. You would however need a parent or guardians signature on the liability forms.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Ones that accept an ACU licence I presume.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1