Padgetts Honda, Meh!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Nice, for example my Ninja 250, was superb, few iffy damaged bits externally but ran fine.

Out of nowhere, smash, engine chewed itself. Laughing

Im trying to be optimistic Shocked Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:14 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
clutch rumbles for a min or so (should it?)

If it didn't, I'd suspect it of not being a Kawasaki.

Mark65 wrote:
hold clutch in and no rumble

Thumbs Up

Oh, "bidding" just started on it.

Don't despair, bear in mind the high chance of the "bidders" being fantasists or Paddy or Ste. You've met the chap, he knows you exist. If the ending price is one that you're happy to pay, don't be shy about offering him that in actual cash money if/when/before his winning "bidder" jews out on him.

Mark65 wrote:
warmed up earlier[?]

First thing you should check when you arrive.

I wouldn't find too many reasons not to have it if the price stays closers to £1K than £1.5K. If that's your budget you'll have to take a gamble on something.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, i got it for £1100, i hope to f%^$£ its ok. I feel sick Shifty

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Why you would consider a bike from 2006 that looks fucking ancient for over 1.5k is beyond me.

Any bike you get, I mean ANY, could have issues 1 day, 5 days or 5 months down the line. If you like fiddling, grab something around the £1k marker, decent nick, use it and move on.

Alternatively, buy new. You know its not crashed and its run in how you want it.

Usually what you can't see fucks you up in the long term.

Paddy speaks truth.

Each bike I've bought I've cared less and less about finding every tiny detail that could be wrong. Aslong as it starts, goes and stops, then game on. I actually pay more attention to the seller, how they speak about the bike etc. I take my bullshit-o-meter along, if it doesn't ping off the chart then I'm happy.

Bought my Firestorm this way, and so far I've had 10k+ care free miles. Helps that I do all my own servicing. Thumbs Up .

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

need an hpi check before i part with my money, any recommendations?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

my text check has always been sufficient for me, costs 3 quid tells you if it's written off or reported stolen, former keepers and colour changes.

you can pay more to find out if its got finance owning but I never have.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:06 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT GYP OUT.

GIVE MONIES RIDE BIKE NAO. Bounce!

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:

black engine and swing arm isn't '99 it's later - mine's a '99 (I should have done a fake Walls Ice cream livery!) and is silver frame, silver engine, sliver swing arm

I did have a spare black bit of engine casing however which I am confident was OEM

They sound like a tractor when cold and clutch rattle is just conformation that it has a clutch, a nice solid thump that makes you think it just broke when you go into 1st is normal.

I'd be checking that the brakes have life in, front disks are expensive, giving it a good handful of throttle in 2nd gear (be nice, get it moving a little first) and check it stays in gear (if it jumps out, walk away gear box is knackered as someone's been learning to wheeleie and probably damaged the head bearings too as it's a heavy bike to bang down)

check engine casings are not cracked and repaired (scuffs and scrapes aren't an issue other than cosmetic.

I'd forgotten what a clean ZZR looked like - mine needs a wash.

The damaged exhaust (not sure if we've swapped bikes here, been copying text to write one reply) looks like mine did after I got shunted from behind at some traffic lights - damage to mine was bent exhaust, cracked rear hugger (that hugger doesn't look standard) and some battered fairings as I dropped it.

can't say for certain that's what happened but that's my guess

forgot to mention, they're not that fond of being below 3000 revs, especially cold, it's an inline 4, it likes to be revved a bit, I tend to try and keep revs above 5k if I can generally riding around 6-7k, if I know I'm going to be keeping this pace for a while I'll knock it up a gear and go steady but change down before accelerating.

it seems to wake up a bit above 7k Very Happy

you'll get used to it.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing i could see was the nose of the fairing slightly out to the right no damage to bar ends or pegs the exhausts were not even scratched, does have stainless down pipes, will get an oil filter and plugs give them a change when i pick it up, shims in a few weeks, maybe it was shunted, I mentioned the fairings because the design on them is shown on the 99 models not the 06.

Mark

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
I mentioned the fairings because the design on them is shown on the 99 models not the 06.

If it was a Cat C odds are those are not the original fairings but replacements from a bike being broken.

yorkshirelad3
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:57 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Padgetts Honda, Meh! Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Hi
Went to view the divvy today, asked Alec yesterday again about the condition, c&s,fork seals and such.
He said all fine its a great bike, he wont be there today but his colleague will, got there at 09:30 and saw the bike, well the right fork leg was piss wet through with fluid and c&s were well past it so i thought ok i can listen to it and maybe get thee price down from £1400, now the old bloke there seemed more interested in eating sandwiches than attending to me so i said any chance of listening to it, didn't seem thrilled but said ok and proceeded with the oh that's a cheap price crap, i replied priced to high.
He started the bike and revved it for......wait....30 seconds then turned it off walked away back to his sandwich, i couldn't believe it, i got to hear clutch rattle and the top end sounded like a rattly old diesel.
I walked over to him and said is that it?, he looked annoyed and started to get up with the keys again and at that point i said don't bother, your food seems more important than a customer and thanks for wasting my time and money, then i left.
So one private and one dealer, both Yorkshire, have i done something wrong, offended anyone?, f*&^ed if i know, from now on now I will look local.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have not posted on here for years, I think I did well to remember my log in details.

I am Jack (not Alec) that your spoke to on the phone regarding the Diversion from me here at Padgett's Honda.

I am sorry for any upset and poor service the other chap here gave you, I am never happy to hear of any of my customers being upset by someone else in the business.

I hope there are plent of people on this forum that have dealt with me at the shop, and I honestly feel I have never really annoyed anyone.

The description of how you were looked after (or not as in this case) will be passed on to our manager here.

In terms of the bike, I honestly described the bike as best I could, you mentioned that the other bike you viewed was corroded and damamged, and I told you that this bike was as corrosion free as a 1990's Diversion can be right now.

Things such as the c&s, fork seals etc would all be picked up and recitfied by my workshop before the bike left. Remember we are a retail business so we do prepare motorcycles before they leave, I would not expect you to just ride the bike away as it was.
I am not a mechanic, or mechanically minded if truth be told. I leave all that stuff to the guys with the qualifications. So when describing a bike I will talk through the overall physical condition of the bike as I know any mechanical issues will be rectified by the workshop, plus any concerns you have of certain parts of the vehicle can be discussed and an agreement made on what you want against what we can offer to do

Again I am sorry the service was not up to standard, and it certainly was not up to my standards.

If you would like to call me again and discuss what you would need you are more than welcome.

Also if you wish we can arrange so that you only have to deal with me in future should you wish to still use Padgetts.

If the experience has stopped you being a customer of ours in future, I apologies and wish you the very best,

Safe Riding Mark.

Jack

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Padgetts Honda, Meh! Reply with quote

yorkshirelad3 wrote:
Humble apology from Jack

Karma Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Jack. Thumbs Up

So, ZZR bought yet?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are having some pretty rough luck there buddy,
do nor despair though!
First bike I bought private and on my tod, NSR125. Was absolutely clueless.
The chap I was buying it off clocked on straight away and took me over the whole bike telling me what I should be looking at/for and even gave it a good hammering up/down the street (once warm of course) to show off the de-restriction/clean top end.

Paid a reasonable price for the bike and he threw in umpteen parts, a spare engine etc.

4 years straight I used that bike Very Happy

Rebuilt it from the ground up and now don't want to sell it Sad

Bugger...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2