Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OFFICIAL BCF BBQ 2015 - Friday 7th August- Monday 10th Augus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Forgot I'd even asked, G. I'll look at an airbed pump then.

Sadly it isn't a mechanical bull, or anything quite to that scale. It's something which when deflated is transportable by bike, just.

https://i.imgur.com/pyp4uNK.jpg

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Forgot I'd even asked, G. I'll look at an airbed pump then.

Sadly it isn't a mechanical bull, or anything quite to that scale. It's something which when deflated is transportable by bike, just.

Err,

Suntan Sid wrote:
We have an air bed pump available, a D/C one that works from a ciggy lighter and an A/C pump as well!
Gonna need the right adaptor though!

HTH

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the sudden and entirely unforseen death of my divvy I think I have to count myself out of this now Sad

Very unlikely to be back on two wheels before August.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:41 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Due to the sudden and entirely unforseen death of my divvy I think I have to count myself out of this now Sad

Very unlikely to be back on two wheels before August.

I might be driving there this year. If I am, you're welcome to a lift.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be completely up for that, halves your fuel costs too. Thumbs Up

Not to push my luck or anything but would you mind letting me know through PM/text as soon as you've decided? If I can't make it I'll cancel my leave is all.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:07 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with the divvy? They dont usually die lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gearbox has kicked the bucket, it's only on 53,000 miles.

More than a little pissed off, I've poured a fair chunk of money into that bike in the last few months.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:23 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
The gearbox has kicked the bucket, it's only on 53,000 miles.

More than a little pissed off, I've poured a fair chunk of money into that bike in the last few months.
Really? What's it doing? I've had two 'catastrophic gear box failures' which have both turned out to be £10 fixes .

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:27 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my Triple is 100% MOT/Tax/insured and you have valid cover and can prove it then you are welcome to borrow my Triple for the weekend subject to the break it/buy it routine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit's gone bad, I may not be able to make this after all.

If I do, it'll likely only be for a night, if that. I may be able to come down during one of the days, then take off. I dunno.

Sad

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudly wrote:
Shit's gone bad,
Sad

Past couple of BCF BBQs I've had stuff going on. A field half full of irresponsible people was the tonic/distraction I needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can do this now Sad

Dug out the air mattress, tried lying on it - fuck, that hurts my back! Trying to find something I can put on it underneath my back to make things more comfortable, but no luck so far.

Gotta have a complete rethink on this camping lark now. No more small tents for me, methinks. If I do find some solutions, it's going to mean loading up the bike with kit I once would have scoffed at.

I iz very sadz Crying or Very sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't think I can do this now Sad

Dug out the air mattress, tried lying on it - fuck, that hurts my back! Trying to find something I can put on it underneath my back to make things more comfortable, but no luck so far.

Gotta have a complete rethink on this camping lark now. No more small tents for me, methinks. If I do find some solutions, it's going to mean loading up the bike with kit I once would have scoffed at.

I iz very sadz Crying or Very sad

Hey! Don't give up. We can lend you a tent and a double air bed if that helps.

Just let me know and we'll bung both in the car. At least you won't have to carry so much and you should be comfy.

Was about to make a comment about erection and blowing up, but it would only get a Tritey excited. Again.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of you to offer Tracey, but I'm not sure even a double air bed is the solution. I'm still having to put a soft pillow under my back even in a proper bed, and then pile up pillows for my head - leaves me in a very slightly raised position.

Tent not a problem - I have a 3 man jobby that I've carried on the bike before. This will mean less bending and contorting, but the bed problem is the biggie.

I've got a memory foam mattress topper that I tried (that didn't work either), so might try cutting some bits from it to see what I can come up with.

Bloody frustrating, as I wanted to go off on some other camping trips soon too, but won't be able to until I can solve this problem.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, since the hour draws near I need to start getting stuff arranged.

Last roll call for fungal festivities - any one who hasn't PM'd me their interest, do so before the weekend, as that is when I shall be looking into sources and sending a PM to all those concerned to get the wheels in motion.

Athankya.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds stupid CS but have you tried partially filling an airbed with water? It helped me camping when I had two fractured vertebrae after a fight.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:44 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro. wrote:
Sounds stupid CS but have you tried partially filling an airbed with water? It helped me camping when I had two fractured vertebrae after a fight.

An interesting thought Pyro Thumbs Up

Gonna try a couple of other things first, but I'll keep this in mind.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldi have hammocks at the moment

not sure how to get them on a bike though

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't noticed the replies, better late than never!

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Really? What's it doing? I've had two 'catastrophic gear box failures' which have both turned out to be £10 fixes .

So far as I can work out I've completely lost fourth gear, clutch out in gear and I can roll it along as if it were in neutral.

It goes in to fifth and third with lots of wiggling and forcing of the gear lever, but if I pull in the clutch and push it along I get a noise that sounds a little like a cartoon portcullis "clink clink clink clink clink.....".

I can't get it to go below third.

I checked all of the selector mechanism, nothing bent or worn.

When I dropped the oil, I found one piece of metal, roughly 5mm long by 1mm wide, and maybe .1mm thick, slightly curved.

The bike has been down he road at least three times in it's life, my guess is that something has been knocked or dislodged at some point.

Paddy. wrote:
If my Triple is 100% MOT/Tax/insured and you have valid cover and can prove it then you are welcome to borrow my Triple for the weekend subject to the break it/buy it routine.

I presume this one was to me too, thanks for the offer Thumbs Up Unfortunately I won't be insured after the 20th of this month so that counts me out for any bike borrowing scenarios. In all honestly I don't think I could borrow a couple of grands worth of bike either, not with my history!

On a related note, I've had four offers of help to get me to the BBQ since I made that post about the gearbox giving up. Looks like I'll definitely be going.

There really are some decent people on this forum Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:00 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
When I dropped the oil, I found one piece of metal, roughly 5mm long by 1mm wide, and maybe .1mm thick, slightly curved.

Sounds like it might possibly be the remains of one of the circlips that holds the geartrain together. I'm thinking possibly part 11 on this diagram: https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj900rk-1983_model8928/partslist/C-05.html

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly something like that, it was textured more like a shaving of metal that you'd find in a lathe bed so I figured something had scraped somewhere it shouldn't have.

Whatever happened to I've pretty much given up hope at fixing it, I don't have the time, money nor inclination to start stripping the engine down, let alone the space to do it in, and all the while I'm spending the best part of three hours a day on the bloody district line!

The plan is to get it on ebay and make back as much of the money as I can for the bits and pieces I've put on it, for instance the forks, tyres and exhaust are all in top condition. Also sell the CB500 I've had sitting around for too long. Then add a little cash and buy myself something newer.

I'm booked in for a test ride at Johns of Romford tomorrow on an NC750, I'll see if I can cope with the lack of oomph! It's a commuter for the most part after all.

GeorgeB.
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:38 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got a bike on the road, but can't get the Friday off work. Gonna plan to come down for the Saturday and Sunday, possibly with my housemates who both ride too.

Excited Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:24 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been debating going... I can't get the friday off which means heading up after 4 on Friday which would be nearly 5 hours of riding and 240 miles.

Now, I like food, but I couldn't ride until nearly 9pm loaded up on a naked bike Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:28 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I've been debating going... I can't get the friday off which means heading up after 4 on Friday which would be nearly 5 hours of riding and 240 miles.

Now, I like food, but I couldn't ride until nearly 9pm loaded up on a naked bike Laughing
Don't be a gheylord. I managed it thanks to Bonny's shenanigans last year, and I racked up a higher mileage than that, IIRC.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah to be fair no one has any excuse after that escapade.

Don't even get me started on rogerborgs commute.....

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 22 of 40