BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Police on the internets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else think it's rediculous that as, generally, law abiding folks we have to be so paranoid about carrying a knife and 'put it in the toolbox' just in case...

Carrying a knife on my belt is no more likely to make any of us stabbists than if the same knife is stowed in a toolbox, likewise if we wanted to shank a bitch, a brief pause to retrieve knife from said toolbox isn't a big obstacle to overcome.

In portugal I'll wear my leatherman on my belt in town without thinking and if in the countryside/villages wear my sheath knife. No fucks are given, I don't go around stabbing folks left, right and centre and there is no problem at all. Portuguese opinion is that a knife is by default a tool, whereas over here it seems a knife defaults to a weapon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:36 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hippy linking to a defunct source 6 years ago wrote:

Well, if you can't believe that, I just give up.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Joe wrote:
You have to remember that you are allowed to carry such knives with a good reason. Being an engineer who uses one at work is a good reason although you may want to chuck it in the boot of your car or with your other tools when travelling to and from work.

Didn't work for the Director General of the Institution of Civil Engineers.

https://metro.co.uk/2006/11/20/brigadier-held-for-knife-on-train-400495/

Nope, but he wasn't on his way home from work with the knife in the boot of his car, he was travelling to another country.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I always have a multi tool on me. Always carried one since I became a qualified engineer and now carry a leatherman wave.

The problem with this is it has locking blades but I was told from just about day 1 of my apprenticeship never to use a folding knife that didn't have a locking blade due to the risk of it closing on your fingers if you misuse it.

I suppose if I get pulled for speeding or something and they come the cunt I am potentially looking at a prison sentence.

Stupid law.

Most Engineers don't really use tools, except of the pen/paper/computer type.

Rogerborg wrote:

Exactly my point. It's not actually illegal, but meh, arrest you anyways, 'cos I can. They know you won't get convicted at court, but you still have the indignity of being carted off in a police van through a busy train station and the inconvenience of a night in the cells and a day in court. Police effectively get the power to dish out 2 day jail terms and public humiliation to anyone they want to, and there will be no comeback for them.

Then again, it is a police state (due to the useless lazy incompetent citizens).

Polarbear wrote:

I quite agree, and never ever use a flat bladed screwdriver as a chisel Whistle

A multi tool is a wonderful bit of kit for those quick simple jobs and if it saves me a long walk back to the van, Thumbs Up

Don't know why anyone would. You can get a half decent chisel from poundland Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:48 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
[Carrying a knife other than a folding pocket knife in public is] not actually illegal

Do you really, genuinely believe that, or are you on a wind up? Thinking

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
[Carrying a knife other than a folding pocket knife in public is] not actually illegal

Do you really, genuinely believe that, or are you on a wind up? Thinking

It isn't. We've even shown you the legislation. In reality it is illegal because police decide the law for themselves.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:06 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
It isn't [illegal]. We've even shown you the legislation.

OK, you're on a wind up. Nice try, I'm not biting any more. Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:17 - 01 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
It isn't [illegal]. We've even shown you the legislation.

OK, you're on a wind up. Nice try, I'm not biting any more. Wink

What a strange reaction Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:43 - 01 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right, but I can't cite the actual wording any more than I already have, so I have to assume that you're just having a laugh.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 01 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like anybody who works with tools, at any given time I carry in my van a number of items that can be used
to kill or injure a person in a variety of imaginative ways. And most of the stuff needed to then section a
corpse into smaller parts, and of course the room inside away from prying eyes to perform either act.
It's never concerned me that what might be in the van may get me nicked, I'll worry about that when
and if I need to.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 01 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Well, if you're the type that needs to get on a train to sharpen your pencils then you deserve everything you get.
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:36 - 18 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
The problem with this is it has locking blades

Which as you surmise means that it's not a folding pocket knife. Sad

https://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/1998/385.html

Presumably the moronic appeal case only applies to England and Wales. The irony is there are plenty of knives which don't have locking mechanisms but won't close on your fingers if you hold it.
This for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STBu90KHsSw

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:31 - 18 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious bump, but let's go.

Jmon wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Presumably the moronic appeal case only applies to England and Wales.

Yes, but I wouldn't bet on a different interpretation in Scotland.

Jmon wrote:
The irony is there are plenty of knives which don't have locking mechanisms but won't close on your fingers if you hold it.
This for example.

I would have no doubt that knife would fall foul of the current case law in England and Wales:

Appeals backing Divisional wrote:
to be "a folding pocket-knife" the blade has to be readily and immediately foldable at all times simply by the folding process.

Their underlining. If it won't fold while you're holding it (which is when it's usable as a weapon, right?) then it's not immediately foldable.

I can't see that the exact mechanism for preventing it folding matters.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:46 - 19 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Curious bump, but let's go.

Jmon wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Presumably the moronic appeal case only applies to England and Wales.

Yes, but I wouldn't bet on a different interpretation in Scotland.

Jmon wrote:
The irony is there are plenty of knives which don't have locking mechanisms but won't close on your fingers if you hold it.
This for example.

I would have no doubt that knife would fall foul of the current case law in England and Wales:

Appeals backing Divisional wrote:
to be "a folding pocket-knife" the blade has to be readily and immediately foldable at all times simply by the folding process.

Their underlining. If it won't fold while you're holding it (which is when it's usable as a weapon, right?) then it's not immediately foldable.

I can't see that the exact mechanism for preventing it folding matters.

Pointless law though really. All they need to do is drill a hole in the handle, then put some kind of pin or small screw through the hole before using it, then remove after use. Lock knife, without the lock!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2