Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fitting a RAM Mount System onto a Honda VFR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ottocle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Fitting a RAM Mount System onto a Honda VFR Reply with quote

I've been kitting out my VFR 5th Generation so that I can see and use my phone GPS while riding I did my research and decided on a RAM Mount system, which consisted of three parts:

1. The X Grip Universal Smart Phone & Sat Nav Holder with 1" Ball
2. A Composite Double Socket Short Arm 1" Ball
3. A Ram Mount Fork Stem with 1" Ball. This was the tricky part as the RAM Fork Stem doesn't fit the VFR adequately. Thankfully, RAM redirected me to a man called Bob Telfer from TELFERIZER (https://www.telferizer.com) who modifies the RAM Stem so that it fits the VFR perfectly. He also sells a lot of the RAM accessories so you can get all of the parts for the fitting from him.

I've also equipped a USB charger (and cigarette lighter). I fed the cable from the battery, under the seat and tank so that the accessory sits beside my display panel. It's very handy and means that I can ride with my navigation for as long as I need to.

I've attached some pics so take a look and be sure to visit the Telferizer site.

Next step is a Sena Bluetooth helmet kit. Any recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ginny
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a sena smh5fm. I couldn't justify the 10 or anything more, because I don't do group rides etc.

I wanted it so i could listen to phone music via bluetooth and radio- tick. Plus the radio reception seems pretty good.

I also wanted to be able to take/make phone calls- tick. you can activate Siri (iPhone obviously) to dial for you and read your last text/ send texts. Siri is activated by the jog dial rather than faffing with your phone.

Ive not used it on the bike yet but had a good long practice, am very impressed.

The fm model has a more secure locking system for the cables going into the unit and comes with the same headphones as the 10. Haven't tested volume but I'm not worried and none of my research indicated that the more expensive models were louder.

The only thing it's lacking are an auxiliary headphone input/output for your own headphones and the greater range of the 10 for intercom etc.

I'm also currently kitting out a new to me 2002 VFR- the mount will be useful! Need to get an aqua box thought 'cos i need a waterproof option!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ottocle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking through the Sena models as like you I'm not entirely sure that I need everything that the 20S has to offer. I haven't heard of that model before (was looking at the smh10r) so I'll look into it. I'll be getting an aqua box too in the not too distant future.

Let me know how the smh5fm works on a ride if you can!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a RAM stem mount on my '08 VFR. It was a shit to fit because, well, it doesn't fit. I forced it with a combination of good old British grit and lashings of sparky's tape around the shaft (fnar)

Good piece of kit though, done three figure speeds and the phone has stayed put nae bother.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1