Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

track day suits?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:23 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: track day suits? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wondering about track day clothing, I've read the bumf and know I need at least a two piece zipped together. Which is cool, I generally ride with a leather jacket either zipped to textile trousers for work, wet windy, longer journeys or jacket and bike jeans for round town sodding about.

Thing is I'm lookking at trackdays for next year, (bit to learn and too busy till end of November) I'm old and would only really want to do days in the warm and sun, I ride almost everyday tthroughout the year so not really into winter on a track.

So basically I'm looking at costs and savings for next year's season, I dont want to wear my "street" gear, so thinking of dedicated track clothing. Any recommendations of good quality solution good for summer tracks? I really have no idea when it comes to suits or track wear. The only suites I knowz about are neoprene (good for surfing not for sliding..)

Thanks for any advice Thumbs Up

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till winter really sets in, then buy an end of line RST 1 piece leather suit, or similar, for best value for money

staffo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a few threads where peoples stictching on RST leathers has burst. Wouldnt buy them myself tbh.

Depends what your budget is really, i've had a few one peices and I think that the best are the Dianese ones. Expensive but totally worth it.
15:58:19 Ste: your spelling it worse than a retards.
15:58:23 Ste: *is

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

staffy50 wrote:
Seen a few threads where peoples stictching on RST leathers has burst. Wouldnt buy them myself tbh.

Depends what your budget is really, i've had a few one peices and I think that the best are the Dianese ones. Expensive but totally worth it.

I didnt know that but I have just had to have my RST Trousers repaired on a seem !

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best leathers are the ones that keep the armour in place for you so you really need to try on a range before you make any decisions. Check the placement of the protection as well as the quality of stitching and provision of stretchy panels/vented sections.

You will want the following:
- Shoulder armour
- Elbow armour
- Back protection (replace the foam insert or buy a separate back protector, I like Knox ones as after a little while they mould quite nicely to your back)
- Hip padding
- Knee armour (plus sliders?)
- It must zip up at least 3/4 of the way round if you buy two piece, preferably all the way round, some I looked at overlapped slightly at the front for extra protection.

I would also recommend wearing an undersuit too, something all season that will keep you a little warmer if needed but also soak up the sweat.

Get yourself down to a shop and try a bunch on as sometimes sizes can vary between companies (for me I can be anywhere from a size 12 to a large to whatever the hell they use for sizes in Europeland) but I gather that men's sizing goes by chest size? Also if its tight and makes you walk like a cowboy its probably a good fit. Thumbs Up

Look at sales and see if you can get an end of line reduction, keep check of eBay as frequently people sell barely used gear for peanuts and join up local bike pages on Facebook if you have it because most of those will have a For Sale section on them. If you plan on doing track days next year then you have plenty of time to get something so don't settle for the first suit you find.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:15 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy new, you're not in a hurry so you don't need to. Lots of people give up biking every year and sell really nice gear on ebay or gumtree for a fraction of what they paid for it. Find out what size you take for Dainese, Alpinestars and the other good brands by going to dealers to try on new stuff.

You may find an absolute bargain if you look for ebay items which the seller won't post. They don't get many bids. Ebay doesn't allow you to search for these 'collection only' items, but this tool does https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/local-ebay-deals/

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:38 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been off in my rst leathers 3 times fastest being 60ish .... Few scuffs here and there no stitching damage. I have also heard of a* suits twice the price of mine not holding up to 30mph slides

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:52 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go secondhand and consider budgeting in some money to get it altered to fit.
You should end up with a decent made to measure suit for less than a cheap new suit would cost in a sale.

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:41 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadsa good advice as usual, thanks all. Never really considered secondhand but definitely the way to go. I'll try some sizing out over the winter Smile and look on eBay Facebook etc.

I know the sizing is like unique to each company in moto gear.. Worth making notes in the manual!

Thumbs Up

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:42 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadsa good advice as usual, thanks all. Never really considered secondhand but definitely the way to go. I'll try some sizing out over the winter Smile and look on eBay Facebook etc.

I know the sizing is like unique to each company in moto gear.. Worth making notes in the manual!

Thumbs Up

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:06 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy your suit, one thing to consider is upgrading the armour to the latest visco-elastic stuff, e.g. D3O or Sas-Tec. Visco-elastic armour is soft and flexible until an impact, when it goes solid. It can make a suit much more comfy for walking around in, particularly if it has hard-shell armour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1