Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To Windows 10 or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only programs I have lost are ones that have the same function as built in tools, why m/s felt the need to filter my installed programs during the upgrade is beyond me.

I have had to reinstall my burning software and magicdisc/iso, i'm sure I will come across other things that don't work.

Edit: just checked and realdownloader is gone too Crying or Very sad and my youtube to mp3 downloader.

:in Gandalf voice: "you shall not pirate"

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
The only programs I have lost are ones that have the same function as built in tools, why m/s felt the need to filter my installed programs during the upgrade is beyond me.

I have had to reinstall my burning software and magicdisc/iso, i'm sure I will come across other things that don't work.

Edit: just checked and realdownloader is gone too Crying or Very sad and my youtube to mp3 downloader.

There is an option during the intial set up in the install, to choose which of your programs you would like to keep, or which you would like an MS tool to take over.

I'm guessing you just hit next on every screen without actually reading, and then blame MS. Because you told it to replace with MS tools.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:27 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
prawny1 wrote:

There is an option during the intial set up in the install, to choose which of your programs you would like to keep, or which you would like an MS tool to take over.

I'm guessing you just hit next on every screen without actually reading, and then blame MS. Because you told it to replace with MS tools.

There is nothing of the sort AFAIK.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

There was a page that mentioned about changing defaults, gave a list of actions, and their default application. All were MS ones, but you could drop down and choose to retain the old application.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 10 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded a 3 year old Acer tablet with no dramas.

Massive improvement over Win 8

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:17 - 10 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
chris-red wrote:

There was a page that mentioned about changing defaults, gave a list of actions, and their default application. All were MS ones, but you could drop down and choose to retain the old application.

Choosing defaults and removing programs are very different things.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 10 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck a GTX970 in last night to replace the old Xfire FireproV9800 cards .... in 3 monitor arrangement running 5760x1080 .... with most of the graphics quality turned up ... a butter smooth 60fps.

Deleted the old Win7 saved OS ... the more I use this, the more I like it.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 10 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bill Gates has been in my pc - since W10 became available, my explorer randomly freezes and has to be closed and relaunched via task manager.

The fucking bully.

Might upgrade my daughters laptop first and let her potentially suffer first.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the OP I should update on this. It seems MS have made my decision for me, because although I have reserved a copy I have not yet got the download, so I am happily stumbling along on Win7 Pro.

I have more-or-less decided to upgrade when the opportunity comes, but I am not yet deemed worthy.

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 14 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Well, as the OP I should update on this. It seems MS have made my decision for me, because although I have reserved a copy I have not yet got the download, so I am happily stumbling along on Win7 Pro.

I have more-or-less decided to upgrade when the opportunity comes, but I am not yet deemed worthy.

use the media creation tool to skip the wait

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

its also a faster way of doing a fresh install if you only have 7, as it bypasses the need to do the millions of win 7 updates

eg: install completely-legit-honest-sir! copy of 7 and instantly use the tool to upgrade to 10, then update (if it has updates).

"windows 10 is activated" Laughing Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the media creation tool but it kept asking for a valid serial. Might have been something to do with me having an educational license version installed I dunno. Eventually I got win7 to run updates and once (after many hours) it was up-to-date I got the win10 upgrade icon. I reserved my copy and the next tim eit booted I could run the upgrade.

After installing (another long process) the machine ran ok until next boot at which time it fell over pretty badly. Rebooted again and went through the update process it ran fine EXCEPT for MS edge. Installed Chrome, killed the google update service, runs well.

Incidentally, it did say that the upgrade could not be done because of the un-supported graphics card (ATi R1200-something or other). I ignore that and did the upgrade and it installed a basic windows driver. I chose to update the driver, told it to search c:\ and it found the old win7 driver, installed that, listed the card correctly.

This is on an old Satellite running 2GB ram that I donated to my wife's nephew, originally running windows vista I think.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

merquis00 wrote:
use the media creation tool to skip the wait

Found that to be useless. After it failed, I span up a bootable USB using Rufus without any issue. Successfully installed W10 education edition with no hassle then.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:01 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

I've had Win10 for a few weeks. It seems fast, the install was piss easy and it has some nice touches but there's nothing I'd miss if I went back to Win7. I also had some annoying niggles to deal with.

There's a useful list of the new features here https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-great-new-features-in-windows-10-1267365 so if they tickle your fancy take the plunge.

The niggles I had were:
- mouse buttons randomly going mad
- no option to power off on the Start menu
- couldn't remove the password from the power on screen

I'm not an expert and they took me a while to fix. And actually I couldn't fix the mouse problem. People in forums were going mental about it and getting no acknowledgement from Microsoft so I gave up and bought a Microsoft mouse in the hope that it might just work with a Microsoft OS, unlike my three other mice. So the 'free' W10 upgrade ended up costing me £30. At least it's a good mouse.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded 4 days ago and so far have had 3 total crashes. PC is a couple of years old and I can count on one hand how many times it's crashed before in all that time.

Not impressed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 17 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, thanks to a megadump update requirement for Destiny and the PS3 last night, I found myself with some free time, so I looked into this whole Windows 10 thing.

It turns out that my PC has been valiantly and consistently trying to update to Windows 10 every day for weeks, but every time the update has failed due to error 80240020 - I discovered this by searching the log in Windows Update. This appears to be associated with a corrupted or incomplete download.

Google and YouTube yielded a load of solutions to this involving deleting downloaded files, running command prompts as an admin and typing a thing appended with "/updatenow" and using Microsoft's smart "Fix it" tools. None of this worked.

So I went for the Media Creation Tool and this worked a charm, acting as an installer with no need to download an image and faff about with anything - it just ran an update and now I am all Windows 10ed-up.

First impressions:

It was less different to look at and use than I anticipated. It looked pretty much like Windows 7, with the only big difference being the tiles on the start menu. I like the native mail, pictures, music etc stuff. Nice to have this built-in rather than have to find an add-on. I know it is not the best solution for any of them, but they are good enough for viewing and low level faffing.

I don't like the fact that it integrates stuff I have no use for, like Windows 10 phone and XBOX; all quickly hidden though.

I have only really spent a few minutes playing with it after update, but so far it appears (to a simple user) more like a facelift than a new model, which is fine as it was all pretty intuitive for a long-term Windows user.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 287 days between these two posts...

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One month left to upgrade to Windoom 10!
For free anyway ...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

$119 after that if I remember correctly.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no choice... I woke up to find my laptop had self installed it.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
I had no choice... I woke up to find my laptop had self installed it.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/27/woman_microsoft_windows_10_upgrades/

Very Happy

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8.1 is fab and I won't be moving anytime soon.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go home Dennis, you're drunk.

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tiles. You can see what's going on, I have a Windows 8.1 tablet and that is splendid too. Windows 8.1 rocks and is so much better than Windows 7.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still on 7, fuck win10 Laughing .

They are vile bastards, if I disable the update notifications they break the auto update.

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Windows 10 prompt behaves like a PUP malware and tries ot install itself by stealth. Windows 10 itself comes with an EULA that requires you to give Microsoft intimate access to your device or PC and I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the small print it says something about selling your soul.

I ain't touching it with a barge pole.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7