Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best way to chainmy Fz6: 16mm 2m chain and U-Lock

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

scruti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:19 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Best way to chainmy Fz6: 16mm 2m chain and U-Lock Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm practicing about securing my bike before moving to UK/London.

My security elements:
Oxford Nemesis 16mm 2m chain + Padlock.
Abus Granit Extreme 59 D-Lock.

So today I went to my garage and tired to chain my bike in the safest way possible: Trough the Fz6 frame.

The problem is... the 16mm chain don't go through the motorbike frame. I tried, but nothing. So instead of chaining it to a removable part of the bike (like tyres, laterall screwed bars, frame to foot pegs...) I tried passing the Abus ULock through the frame, and locking the chain to it.
This allows me to even extend the distance between the motorbike and the point where I chain my bike into.

The nemesis Padlock is too small to go through the frame and lock the chain, so I used it as disklock.

Is this a secure thing to do? I don't know what is better... chain locked to Dlock through the frame or chain locked to the narrower padlock in a less secure part of the bike and the big Ulock through both front brake disks as I use to do.

Any idea? maybe I could do it in a better way that didn't come to my mind.

Pictures of how I chained it (sorry about the quality, they are too dark):

https://oi61.tinypic.com/2cig2zo.jpg
https://oi61.tinypic.com/5l3qco.jpg
https://oi59.tinypic.com/vfi4cl.jpg
https://oi61.tinypic.com/2vip5qc.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.
The ubolt is the weak link.
They can be burst open using a scissor jack out of a car. Smile

The chain on has too much slack which gives a tealeaf plenty of scope to attack it.

The chain is on the ground which provides a nice rigid surface to attack it on.

Pragmasis sell a long bolt that slides through the swingarm pivot etc. and joins the links of their 16mm chain.
Speak to them and ask for the bolt.

Anti-Pinch Bolt
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

scruti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:09 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.
The ubolt is the weak link.
They can be burst open using a scissor jack out of a car. Smile

The chain on has too much slack which gives a tealeaf plenty of scope to attack it.

The chain is on the ground which provides a nice rigid surface to attack it on.

Pragmasis sell a long bolt that slides through the swingarm pivot etc. and joins the links of their 16mm chain.
Speak to them and ask for the bolt.

Anti-Pinch Bolt

Vincent wrote:
Aye.....I could smash that u bolt just by staring at it hard enough.....then the chain is left safely locked to the lampost...more practice required...deffo Thumbs Up Maybe you could get a loop safely sunk into that column? Do you posess a drill.....a decent drill? Do you have power at the garage?

Thanks for your answers.

About the U Bolt... are you talking about generic U Bolts? Because I bought this specific model (Abus Granit Extreme 59) as "the beast" of U Bolts. About 3kgs and only being able to open it on tests with power tools (same that would cut through the chain). Its usually classified as the best one but too heavy to carry.

What I didn't like (agreeing with you) is leaving the chain/U bolt so loose, I agree that is easy to operate over them. So to attach the chain is better to use a Padlock than the big U bolt, ok! Thumbs Up

I didn't know about the Pragmasis long bolt, It seems a very interesting option. I'll check with them, thanks for the link.

Do you recommend and alternative to the frame where to chain the bike? I'm thinking maybe through the rear suspension, but I'm afraid that could be easy to remove the piece. I'll look tomorrow for different anchor points on the bike.

About the column... actually the chain wasn't on the floor (but is too close to), but with the picture angle seems to be. I was just testing the way to use the chain through the bike, don't worry about the column since is a month thing before moving to UK (an never had a problem in my current garage before). I'll avoid as much as possible to leave the chain at floor. Rule noted Thumbs Up
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
I must admit, I'm no expert on U locks, maybe there are some strong ones. They're a bit of a pig to carry about...I know that. Look into getting a ground anchor fitted, (properly), it'll give you lots of chain to play with. And make sure your insurer is cool with where it's being kept....just in case Thumbs Up I think it's worth having an extra disc lock or similar...they just make the job of knicking the bike look harder on first appearance. Do you cover it too?

The ad at the bottom of my page is showing an ebay item 14', 18', 24' bolt cutters from £10.99 Rolling Eyes

Good to have it all in one place I guess. Smile

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the anti inch pin.

You need to use some of the intermediate links in the chain to make it short enough to stay off the ground

scruti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:57 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions annotated Thumbs Up

I plan to cover it once in London, yes. Just I have not enough space to carry a cover moving there, but I'll do.

Thanks!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1